Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   General Automotive (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/general-automotive/)
-   -   Anyone ever also wheel the 80s 4WD trecels? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/general-automotive/272180-anyone-ever-also-wheel-80s-4wd-trecels.html)

WPDAWG11 04-07-2013 03:49 PM

Anyone ever also wheel the 80s 4WD trecels?
 
A dumbass buddy of mine in nashville had a 88 4WD 5spd trecel all perfectly functional b/c he was a mechanic. I wish I had the video still but we were pulling it through 2.5-3 foot puddles and riding up 4 foot berms no problem all stock. Toyota was just on there shit in the late 80s.

Mr. Biscuits 04-07-2013 04:06 PM

I've ALWAYS wondered this. they're solid axle, no?

I saw Jesse's on Breaking Bad and was weirded out by how old it was to be 4WD and how low to the ground it is. I wonder if you can lift it :cool:

WPDAWG11 04-07-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits (Post 6709089)
I've ALWAYS wondered this. they're solid axle, no?

I saw Jesse's on Breaking Bad and was weirded out by how old it was to be 4WD and how low to the ground it is. I wonder if you can lift it :cool:

I am not thinking it was. It was just a crappy little wagon that happened to be 4wd. It was exactly like jesses:D

Bosmob 04-08-2013 08:39 AM

I've been looking for a clean one of those for a LONG time. They are getting harder and harder to find. Especially non-rusty ones that people aren't asking crazy money for. Anybody in SoCal looking to get rid of one?

jeepdude 04-08-2013 08:59 AM

4wd Tercel, AND an Aztek in the same series....someone had a sense of humor

LUSETACO 04-11-2013 07:08 AM

http://menandwomenofindustry.com/wp-...tercel4wd2.jpg

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4537161474377454&pid=1.7

http://menandwomenofindustry.com/wp-...0/06/unsr5.jpg

http://menandwomenofindustry.com/wp-...010/06/CD2.jpg

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/1889/pict0153jf7.jpg

http://menandwomenofindustry.com/wp-...6/000_0044.jpg

http://faimg1.forum-auto.com/mesimag...a_tercel_3.jpg

I would rock one! :anon:

wyotaco06 04-11-2013 07:26 AM

79-84 Subaru gl 4x4 wagons are also a good choice. They have 4hi and 4low and wheel amazingly well.....given the ground clearance. I have owned 3 of them and they all went over 250K on original engine/tranny.

Yota Toy 04-11-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyotaco06 (Post 6727139)
79-84 Subaru gl 4x4 wagons are also a good choice. They have 4hi and 4low and wheel amazingly well.....given the ground clearance. I have owned 3 of them and they all went over 250K on original engine/tranny.

I had an '84 Subaru GL for a couple of years, that thing would go through sand like nothing else. One time we got a couple of 4wd trucks stuck in sand and the Subbie pulled both of them out...

LUSETACO 04-12-2013 04:50 AM

X2 on the Subie! I had an 87 GL wagon. Awesome car! I put that thing through hell. It was great for Vermont mud season, never a fear of getting stuck. My most memorable moment was bring out in a big snow storm with a buddy and going through FEET of snow. So much snow that it was coming up over the hood and onto the windshield. That thing just plowed right through! I always hated the silly e brake in it though.

acdronin 04-12-2013 05:15 AM

I owned one of those, never wheeled it though

Got2ryde 04-12-2013 05:35 AM

My mom had one of these things. My brother flogged it hard. I flogged it even harder and it just wouldn't die. I remember taking it out with a buddy before I turned 16 and finding the soggiest field we could and just worked that thing over! My late appologies to the farmer. :o

6gearsofv6fury 04-15-2013 10:13 AM

My parents had an 84 Tercel 4WD wagon when I was little. The only time 4WD was ever used is when my Dad wanted to use the "Extra Low" gear to crawl in SoCal traffic lol.:rotfl:

stewartx 04-15-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WPDAWG11 (Post 6709020)
Anyone ever also wheel the 80s 4WD trecels? A dumbass buddy of mine in nashville had a 88 4WD 5spd trecel all perfectly functional b/c he was a mechanic. I wish I had the video still but we were pulling it through 2.5-3 foot puddles and riding up 4 foot berms no problem all stock. Toyota was just on there shit in the late 80s.

A good friend of mine bought a Toyota Tercel sometime in the mid-80's. The first impression was how flimsy it was made (thin body panels, plastics, etc). My BMW was built like a tank by comparison.

The second impression, while riding in it, was how much of a cow it was (slow top end, sluggish acceleration, etc). We were living in Germany at the time, and I honestly felt we would likely need an appointment to merge onto the autobahn.

Needless to say, I wouldn't rush out to buy one - then or now.

Slodgetto 12-12-2013 06:24 PM

My 83 Dirty Terc. :)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...MG_1225_1_.JPG
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...MG_1224_1_.JPG

1.5l L4 only gives about 60 ponies, so yeah it's not much for power, but it'll go and go and go. :)

KenLyns 12-13-2013 07:54 PM

Spiritual successor?

http://www.subaruclub.cz/graphics/ms...l/bullbar2.jpg

oldblue1968chevy 12-14-2013 08:01 AM

Saw a tercel outwheeling me and modded jeeps one day at the orv park beater full of teenagers it was aweseome (i dont wheel hard at all) but they were climing some hills lol

TuffRuffDangerous 12-16-2013 02:16 PM

I fell in love with these in 5th grade when I got a toy 4x4 Tercel with my Happy Meal. Anyone here old enough to remember Stomper toys?

http://www.route21.com/stompers/etc/...ta_tercels.jpg

LUSETACO 12-16-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuffRuffDangerous (Post 7865603)
I fell in love with these in 5th grade when I got a toy 4x4 Tercel with my Happy Meal. Anyone here old enough to remember Stomper toys?

http://www.route21.com/stompers/etc/...ta_tercels.jpg

Oh hell yeah! One of my favorite toys growing up. 9v battery FTW! :D

Phil Dammit 12-16-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuffRuffDangerous (Post 7865603)
I fell in love with these in 5th grade when I got a toy 4x4 Tercel with my Happy Meal. Anyone here old enough to remember Stomper toys?

http://www.route21.com/stompers/etc/...ta_tercels.jpg

Fuck yeah!!!!!!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 PM.