1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

off-topic, BMW oil change intervals

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Raylo, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Apr 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    Raylo

Raylo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Just thought some of you would get a kick out of this.... a co-worker with a 4 month old 328i told me that his service advisor told him he didn't need to have the oil changed for a year or 15000 miles. Needless to say I was skeptical. But a little research later and this is indeed what they recommend. Apparently they are using that new "extended life" synth oil. Noting my alarm even though it was the official BMW recommendation my coworker, who is not a mech of any sort, calls the dealer for explantion. The dealer says that BMWs have "really good oil pumps", and the "system is sealed", and "they tested it and didn't see evidence of significant oil breakdown until 16,000 miles". Wow, a 1000 mile cushion.

OK, I know most of us here are probably changing the oil more often than we really need to. (let's not get in one of those discussions about just how often, please) but this is just nuts, IMHO. Methinks BMW is trying to save a few $$ on their "free scheduled maintenance", as well as setting up some good expensive post warranty engine repairs. We are trying to convince my friend that a mid-term change is good cheap insurance but not sure he will be swayed. Oh well..... BTW, I'd love to see an oil filter after 15k miles. Can't be pretty.

2. Apr 14, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    My Wifes car goes in every 10K....Oil samples come back showing about 10% life left on it. My buddy has a BMW and does the 15K oil change. He has had the car along time, and it seems to run fine. He wont fill a bottle for me to sample, though............

Hmmmm........that didnt sound too good.........

3. Apr 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I can't said I'd be comfortable with it...I'd want to see oil samples...

Products Discussed in

To Top