1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locker install

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by SteelRain, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Feb 12, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    SteelRain

SteelRain [OP] Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    I have a 2005 TRD Sport Prerunner. I am considering installing a rear locker. Are there any disavantages to having one? Is this even possible to do on my truck? I'm still a complete NEWB when it comes to these type of things. I came from "MiniTruck Land" a few years ago.

2. Feb 12, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yes it is possible and there really isn't a disadvantage other than cost.

You should have an LSD in your truck.

3. Feb 12, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The LSD will have to come out to put the locker in.

4. Feb 12, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    What 98 said-The rear end will be a locker and whatever is in there will come out.

If you want to get into some hardcore wheeling- Go for it. If you like the way it drive now and are just getting into wheeling- Wait a bit and see what happens.

It's expensive and must be done correctly....so have it done unless you REALLY understand what you are doing with setting gears/shims and what not. Just a little bit wrong = grenade differential.

5. Feb 12, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    SteelRain

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    And my limited slip diff, are there any advantages of that? Thanks guys for the input. this is really helping my out with my decisions. Definitely sound advice and I appreciate it!!

6. Feb 12, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Limited slip is better for on road applications imho. Its there all the time to help with traction distribution issues and it can help off road.
    I've used my parking brake to control the LSD and force the rear end to act somewhat like a locker. Gotten me outta situations that I thought I was stuck. Locker coulda helped- but woulda cost me alot more for much less use.

7. Feb 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    SteelRain

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    Thanks guys. I'm looking to be better at climbing hills when out desert romping. The dirt and gravel can get fairly loose during the dry seasons.

Products Discussed in

To Top