Georgia Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Georgia

Notices

Georgia Ad Valorem Tax

Old 03-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
TacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoDawgs's Tacoma Gallery
Georgia Ad Valorem Tax

So I'm going to finally be moving back to my home state of Georgia after living in Florida for 5 years. This new ad valorem title tax is really pissing me off. I'm gonna have to pay 6.5% of the value of my Tacoma to register it. This is about the only time I've wanted to kick my own ass for getting a vehicle that holds its value so well. A couple questions though if yall know. What site/business/whatever do they use to calculate fair market value on a vehicle? And also, how is this new law not double taxation? I know Georgia doesn't give a shit that I bought my truck in Florida, but my wife's Corolla WAS purchased in Atlanta in 2004. And there WAS tax paid on the car then. And now we are going to have to pay another tax to register it in GA. So I ask again, how is that not double taxation? Sorry for the little rant, it just sucks that right when we are able to get back to Georgia, this stupid little law takes effect. GATA
Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
United1996 is on a distinguished road
Name: Alen
United1996's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgs View Post
So I'm going to finally be moving back to my home state of Georgia after living in Florida for 5 years. This new ad valorem title tax is really pissing me off. I'm gonna have to pay 6.5% of the value of my Tacoma to register it. This is about the only time I've wanted to kick my own ass for getting a vehicle that holds its value so well. A couple questions though if yall know. What site/business/whatever do they use to calculate fair market value on a vehicle? And also, how is this new law not double taxation? I know Georgia doesn't give a shit that I bought my truck in Florida, but my wife's Corolla WAS purchased in Atlanta in 2004. And there WAS tax paid on the car then. And now we are going to have to pay another tax to register it in GA. So I ask again, how is that not double taxation? Sorry for the little rant, it just sucks that right when we are able to get back to Georgia, this stupid little law takes effect. GATA
I may be able to answer your question to some points , I work at a dealership and live in GA
Yes you will pay 6.5% on the value of the vehicle. State of GA uses their website to determine the value , not NADA or KBB
However after you are done paying the 6.5% you will only pay around $20 or so each year after that , in return saving you money rather than paying the usual 100-250 per year on your vehicles
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
lowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
lowercaselong's Tacoma Gallery
sorry dude, i just picked up my tacoma in february and fell into the opt-in/opt-out clause in which i can tell them i want to opt in and they will use the tax paid on the truck and I wont have to pay but the $20 a year. For those people its awesome, for you unfortunately, sounds shitty. Althought United is right, you wont have to fork over more money in the end than you would regularly, its just a hit in the pocket at once.

If you google the new law there are news stories of celebrations...... and arrests for people being in your spot. Took me a while to understand, but I made that $400 waiting for renewal to good use at the local bar.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
TacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgs is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoDawgs's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. I think the initial pissed off rant is over. It seems if you are buying a new vehicle the new tax is a good deal. But if you are moving into Georgia then it's kind of a hose job. Oh well. I'm just excited to get back to Georgia, get out of gator country and back into dawg country. GATA.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
MIAtaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
MIAtaco's Tacoma Gallery
im looking to move to georgia within the next year from florida, would i have to pay this tax as well? i didnt know about this.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Better than California.
We have the state and county sales tax, which can be as high as 10.5% if you're in a high county and a city that adds it's own....

Then every year we have a "Vehicle Licensing Fee", which is a 2.2% tax on the value.
Fortunately, they devalue 10% per year, so the tags on a 10 year old vehicle are the minimum (total is like $78 or something).
If you buy a used vehicle, the sales tax (yes, sales tax on a used vehicle on a private-party sale!) and VLF are based on that... so it is theoretically possible to either sell a fairly new car and the new owner pays a lower VLF than you did if it sold for lower than the 10% annual devaluation... or you can sell an older car and the new owner ends up paying a higher VLF if the sale price exceeds the 10% estimate.

Oh... if you own a pickup you also get to pay for commercial tags.
My '08 is around $300/year.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
Troutbum18 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dylan
Troutbum18's Tacoma Gallery
I'll add my .02 on this as I just went through this process when I bought my used taco at the beginning of the month.

I bought a 2000 prerunner and was worried when I went to the tag office that I would pay the 6.5% of whatever I paid for it (which was slightly below KBB) or pay 6.5% of the actual KBB. Turns out it was much less that either. I expected to pay round $800 or so based on KBB value. Ended up paying $430. I don't know how they value the thing but it wasn't as bad as expected.

by the way, Welcome home OP!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
BluTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
BluTaco's Tacoma Gallery
This new tax thing should surprisingly be a good thing for the consumer. I have a 2007 double cab and have paid around $375 for the past 6 years. Yes, it still hasn't gone down much. So if you keep the car for more than 4 or 5 years you will more than pay for the 6.5% up front cost. The problem is most people don't keep their vehicles that long.