Official Aluminess Overland Tacoma Bumper - Ends 12/31/2010

Old 12-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #81
michael042 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Submarine Service
Name: Michael
michael042's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman1463 View Post
Looks good Michael, as Tri said we all will need to get together and have a photo shoot. My bumper should be done next week and I wil have it installed by the following week. I actually dig the additional skid plate that looks really clean.
With any luck at all, my new bumper will be dirty and scratched by the following week
Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICOMA View Post
Very Nice Michael. Bumper looks great!!!
Thanks! I'm happy with how it turned out. I completed installation of the winch and PIAA 510 lights (Aluminess will mechanically install them for you but they don't hook up the electrical).

On the Smittybilt SRC 10 COMP winch, the provided power cables were exactly long enough to reach the main battery with enough slack for good routing and proper attachment. I did a quick static pull to about 4K to condition the synthetic line and it loaded onto the spool with no problem.

I was able to do a quick and dirty install on the driving lights by using the 12v from the existing light harness to power the relay for the PIAA 510 lights. The entire installation process consisted of plugging in the lights and inserting one 14 ga wire into the old light's harness plug. A little taping, some tie wraps, and it was done! The lights are controlled by the dash switch the same as the previous fog lights (which means no driving lights with high beams) but I'll go back and clean up (shorten and better route) the wiring later.

There is a mod floating around to allow using the fog lights with the high beams as I recall. For now, the installation is complete and I will be taking it out this weekend to get it dirty
Attached Thumbnails
Official Aluminess Overland Tacoma Bumper - Ends 12/31/2010-1.jpg  
Old 12-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #83
Tonkatoy05 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Crew Chief
Tonkatoy05's Tacoma Gallery
Hi there michael I just wanted to comment on how your bumper came out. It's
exactly what I've been wanting with the extra coverage of the suspension & what not I've been waiting a long time to get this bumper. Did they install the bumper for you? & if so how long did that take? And if I may ask how much extra did they charge for this if any?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy05 View Post
Hi there michael I just wanted to comment on how your bumper came out. It's
exactly what I've been wanting with the extra coverage of the suspension & what not I've been waiting a long time to get this bumper. Did they install the bumper for you? & if so how long did that take? And if I may ask how much extra did they charge for this if any?

Thanks
Aluminess was very helpful in modifying the side flares of the bumper to cover more of the suspension area. The mods to the bumper, the front receiver, and the skid plate were extras but the additional cost was very reasonable.

My modification reduces the approach angle directly in front of the tires (from the original Aluminess bumper design) but it is still significantly improved over the stock Tacoma bumper.

Installation of the bumper was included in the cost. Along with the bumper, Aluminess will install a winch and lights if you provide them, but they do not hook hook up the electrical for either. Hooking up the lights and winch are very easy to do yourself.

Installation at their shop took around three hours as I recall. They are very easy to deal with and are interested in creating the bumper you want.

If you have any questions on the construction of the bumper, I'd be happy to take some photos for you. I recommended to Dave that he call my bumper design an "expedition" bumper, so ask for that style if you like mine.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #85
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
I just spoke with Diane at Aluminess Products and as long as you put a $250 deposit by the end of December you can pay the remainder at the end of January when the bumper ships!!!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #86

I took my new Aluminess bumper out this weekend for a shake-down. It worked just fine with some minor adjustments on the trail. The approach angle is much improved over the stock bumper.

The fairing pieces on the fenders are not attached to the bumper as the bumper is attached to the frame and flexes in a different mode than the fender. There is a small gap between the two which was rubbing on mine and causing a rattle. I adjusted it a bit by widening the gap on the trail and that seemed to take care of it. Everything else on the bumper seemed tight and trail-worthy. The brush guards are visible in the line of sight and I did observe them flexing, but no problems noted. The flex is actually less than I was expecting.

I didn't do any winching as I want to test the mounting first under controlled conditions with a load cell.

Still very happy with it!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #88
Tonkatoy05 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Crew Chief
Tonkatoy05's Tacoma Gallery
Well I ordered my bumper from Aluminess this past Mon. Hope it turns out great I've been chatting with michael as I pretty much wanted the same "expedition style" which provides more protection down by front suspension as I dont quite need the approach angles of the original design. Nevertheless the bumper has a nice design style.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #89
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy05 View Post
Well I ordered my bumper from Aluminess this past Mon. Hope it turns out great I've been chatting with michael as I pretty much wanted the same "expedition style" which provides more protection down by front suspension as I dont quite need the approach angles of the original design. Nevertheless the bumper has a nice design style.
Awesome. Dave and Diane are great to work with.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #91
ExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
ExpoSpy's Tacoma Gallery
The installed product!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #93
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICOMA View Post
This is by mo means a rock crawler bumper. It is an Expedition/Ocerland bumper. Made to withstand the elements. Is it strong enough to handle a deer, brush, rocks and other vehicles, the answer is yes. Will it be stronger than steel, the answer is no. Most of us, are not going to be taking our trucks into major rocks with a 30k vehicle and if you are the type that will, go out and buy a Shrockworks or ARB. They are made out of heavy steel and will be able to handle rocks a little better.

Check out these testimonials from their site.
http://www.aluminess.com/testimonials.htm

It sticks out as far as the ARB. I will post up side shots if I can

Can't believe I missed doing some R&D on one of those Bad Boys by 1 year, C'mon Tri !!! Make it happen !!!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #95
tervanun is a name known to alltervanun is a name known to alltervanun is a name known to alltervanun is a name known to alltervanun is a name known to alltervanun is a name known to all

Name: Danny
tervanun's Tacoma Gallery
Man, decisions, decisions..... I need to save that money, but I want it sooooo bad
Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #96
fourfa is on a distinguished road
fourfa's Tacoma Gallery
ordered
Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #98
ExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
ExpoSpy's Tacoma Gallery
So as a testament to Aluminess and their customer service, I was having issues with how close the bumper was to my grill/headlights. It is probably from a little mishap I had in the desert and I believe the bottom crossmember was bent in a little. Anyway, I called Aluminess and they said bring it down and after looking at it they fabbed up a couple plate spacers to change the distance and bada bing bada boom the spacing is perfect! These guys did this for no charge and told me if I had any further issues to feel free to contact them and they will do whatever it takes to satisfy me. The other thing that they said is if I break it they will replace it. Thats IF it breaks when I use it for winching or pulling someone out. Great customer service FTW!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #99
bfaisok is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
bfaisok's Tacoma Gallery
Installed yesterday. I really like it. Now I have to get some lights....and a winch...one leads to another....and so on. Aluminess did a first rate job, from the order to delivery, they are tops.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Aluminess Overland Tacoma Bumper - Ends 12/31/2010-img00152-20110213-1626.jpg