Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

HID Retrofit (FX-r Bixenon projectors) GB

Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #1001
MRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to behold

Name: Marco
MRW's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed mine and had a quick question about them firing up.
They haven't been on for more en 5 minutes because I literally just finished up. I noticed that when I fire them up, they both slightly flicker like its trying to find the right color. But it doesn't flicker like something is loose.. Is this normal? I notice on BMW hids they fire up and change colors smoothly, but mine slightly flicker. Not bad at all just wanted to make sure everyone sees the same thing..
h
Could it be because the three times I fired them up the truck was off? I haven't turned on truck and fired them up yet.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #1002
MRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to behold

MRW's Tacoma Gallery
This flickering only happens when I fire up the lights... Its not a flickering where the lights go in and out.. It's a flickering of the lights changing colors until it hits the right temperature and then it stays stable. And they both flicker independently but seem to get stable withing seconds of each other..

Could this mean bad grounds?
Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #1003

MRW's Tacoma Gallery
I'm starting to believe its my grounds. Anyone have advice on where they grounded ech wire coming oit of each headlight? I believe the ground wires is only about 10 or so inches coming out the ballast
Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #1004
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely sounds like you have some poor grounds... I grounded my ballasts using ground points for other components of the truck. Look for them. Make sure that you have good ground first, as that is the problems of many people
Old 09-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #1005

MRW's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks will do.. Did you extend the ground wires are was the lengtH that TRs provided long enough? I found a good ground, I think, in the passenger, but cant find a good one on the drivers side next to the headlight

I mounted the blast like this so I only have about a foot to play with to find a good ground http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...116045/cat/500
Old 09-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #1006
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Just find the closest screw into the sheetmetal, remove it, sand the paint and put your ground there
Old 09-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #1007

MRW's Tacoma Gallery
So I double checked the grounds and sanded all the surface to bare metal and wired them back up but I am still getting a flickering... see this video for reference:
http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/69/r92m.mp4/

You will see slight flickering on the right and then a lot on the left (driver side).

Does anyone have advice on what could be the problem? The flickering is intermittent and most prominent when I first start the truck.

Here is a pic of the lights installed:
Old 09-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #1008
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ooh, that's definitely a bulb issue. It appears that the bulbs are arcing, if ever so slightly... Did you touch your bulbs with your bare hands at any point? I would definitely get a hold of TRS and get it ironed out. Color shift is normal, color flicker is not.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #1009

MRW's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks.. Man thats a bummer.. I paid someone to do the retro and now I need t contact him to see if he touched the bulbs... These bulbs were actually from his kit. Long story short I had him use his brand new trs kit to get started on my retro while my brand new trs kit was in transit to him.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #1010
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRW View Post
Thanks.. Man thats a bummer.. I paid someone to do the retro and now I need t contact him to see if he touched the bulbs... These bulbs were actually from his kit. Long story short I had him use his brand new trs kit to get started on my retro while my brand new trs kit was in transit to him.
Well... Your projectors look fine as far as your cutoff is concerned, so I am not worried about that. Is this guy local? If not, get your shit from him and see if you can't swap. You're the ones with projectors mounted already. You need working equipment worse than he does currently.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #1011

MRW's Tacoma Gallery
Actually a member here did the work. Everything looks awesome, I guess I just need to wait for his response so I can see whats going on. And no he is in another state. Pretty much I got a box from him with my retro lights completed and the bulbs were already inside the headlights. It was just a matter of me installing them.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #1012

MRW's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your help guys.. It most likely is a bulb issue so I will be getting this replaced ASAP, but here are two pics of the final outcome.. to see more pics click on my build link in my sig!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #1013
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
Oury - Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 5000K; Gatling Gun; Angel Eyes, H4/9003 Harness;depends on price
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #1014
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oury View Post
Oury - Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 5000K; Gatling Gun; Angel Eyes, H4/9003 Harness;depends on price
It's over here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...hhh-yeaaa.html

People are paying naow!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #1015
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Which shroud do you guys think would look the best with the H1 kit? Iris, E46-R, E55-R?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #1016
Tacoma level 27
Slesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud of

Name: Kyle
Slesse's Tacoma Gallery
Let's see some pics of all those retro's. I want to do this but can't decide what shroud to go with. Everyone seems to go with Gatling Gun or Apollo. I like the look of the Apollo, but was also interested in the Iris. Also, I can't make up my mind about how much of the headlight to black out, if any.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #1017
Taco89 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nik
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
any links for a fx-r retrofit write up??
Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #1018
Vinyl Wrap installer
import roller is on a distinguished road

Name: Shawn
import roller's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to import roller
the FX-Rs are not PNP projectors. There really isn't a writeup for projectors like these. you have to determine the best method to mount them and aim them based on how the inside of you headlight housing is designed.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #1019
Taylorm1 is on a distinguished road
Name: taylor
Taylorm1's Tacoma Gallery
Taylorm1: kit1, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 6000k, gatling 2.0, depends on price