1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID Retrofit (FX-r Bixenon projectors) GB

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by RacerAV, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 7, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    RacerAV

RacerAV [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCSB4x4 (sold)
    A quick copy/paste of info before you order!!!
    yes. the mini's are less work.

This was an email conversation with matt from TRS a few months back:

OK so from here it's time to pick out what kit and what options within that kit are best for you - so I'll offer a few quick notes on my thoughts about these options below:

Deciding on the projector:
    First and most important decision here. Between the FX-R and the Morimoto Mini Bi-xenons, your light output will easily out-perform your Toyota's stock headlight setup, and even outshine most vehicles that were factory equipped with xenons. Both options come stock with the upgraded clear lenses which give them a wide, bright, and uniform distribution of light with an upper cutoff line that is not only sharp, but has an attractive color-band across the top. (translating to that nice color flickering effect that's always associated with BMW, Acura, etc) - so don't think you need a high Kelvin bulb to achieve that look, its mostly from the projector.

As far as the installation goes, the FX-R will require permanent modification to your headlights, but if your a DIY kinda guy, It should not take more than a long afternoon to get the job done right. On the other hand, the Morimoto Mini Bi-xenons are awesome for those looking for a much easier yet still effective upgrade - since they don't typically require any cutting/mods to install. They have a threaded shaft on the back-side that goes through the pre-existing hole in your reflector (where the light bulb comes through now) and holds tight with a threaded lock-ring and some other included hardware.
    So basically if you are looking for maximum performance and don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty on the retrofit, the FX-R is my recommendation. If you want to get 90% of the performance and prefer a much easier installation, the Morimoto Mini setup is the way to go

Deciding on the shroud:
    I usually recommend what will fit with little to no extra trimming required, and something that also matches well with the shape profile of the reflector inside your headlight (i.e. is it fully circular, oval shaped, shallow or deep, etc?)

Deciding on the Bulbs:
    The Morimoto bulbs are a high quality aftermarket bulb that offers 90% of the quality of the optional Philips for less than half the price, so you get more bang for the buck there - though if you don't mind paying a bit more, you can't lose with the Philips. 4300K is what all cars with factory xenons come with, 5000K is a pure white, and 6000K will give you a hint of blue. Remember that the higher the Kelvin rating, the lower the Lumen rating - so you do sacrifice a bit of actual intensity by moving up this scale. I've always been a fan of the 5000K for a good middle ground, but again - your choice here.

To help you better visualize all this stuff, here are a few links to some related customer-provided pics:

FX-R: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/album.php?albumid=224

Morimoto Mini D2S:http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/album.php?albumid=225
    Tacoma Retrofits:http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/album.php?albumid=89

Then basic install guides:
    Mini D2S
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...727#post371727
    FX-R:
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-Do-a-Retrofit
    Again this was from emails I had with TRS when I was considering a purchase.

UPDATE:
    JUST heard back from Matt @ The Retrofit Source, we are good to go with the discount % being the number of people in the GB, up to 25 people, meaning at least 25 people buying, get 25% off whatever you buy from them!!! He said that includes other things in the store, so if you want additional accessories, or other kits, order now!!! 25% off is GREAT, and with quality parts, at a great discount, get everything you MAY want later, you know? This made my day, hope it did for you as well! LETS MAX THIS OPPORTUNITY OUT!!!!!!!!

Original post:
    Okay ladies and gents, I've talked to The Retrofit Source, a cool looking company, with some great looking products. So far good customer service, and haven't heard anything negative about them. Here is what we've got! The prices below are what you'll pay now on your own. I'm waiting on the price tiers now, but lets see whos really interested and who isn't now. It's okay to be on the fence depending on price, just make sure you say so. If you're buying regardless, say so. If you just like pretty lights on trucks but your momma won't fund your crazy ideas, say so. All the normal GB procedures will be in effect here. So don't bail last minute, don't falk your buddies...

THE EXAMPLE:
    ___________________________________________________________________________________
    I'll update this with a list, REPLY IN THIS FORMAT:
    Screen name; Kit #; Watt #; Bulb temp; Shroud choice; and if your decision to buy depends on price, or not.

MINE WILL LOOK LIKE THIS
    RacerAV; Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 6000K; Apollo; depends on price

Get it? I'll be copying and pasting these from YOUR post into this original post, to keep the list up to date. Got it?
    Good....
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

:)

KIT 1) Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=141
    FX-R Bi-xenon Projectors (LHD)
    Morimoto 3Five or 5Five Ballasts
    Morimoto 3Five or 5Five D2S Bulbs
    Your choice of shrouds/bezels (Apollo and Gatling generally the most popular)
    9003/H4 Bi-xenon relay wire harness (plug n play)
    $315 shipped UPS with tracking and insurance

KIT 2) Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III D2S Kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=237
    Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-xenon projectors
    Morimoto 3Five Ballasts
    Morimoto 3Five D2S Bulbs
    Your choice of shrouds/bezels (same as above)
    9003/H4 Bi-xenon relay wire harness (plug n play)
    $295 shipped UPS with tracking and insurance

These are the two choices we should stick with, and are really some of the best options for our trucks.

THE LIST:
    1. RacerAV; Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 6000K; Apollo; depends on price
    2. nofords08: Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 4300k, gatling 2.0, depends on price
    3. Pingo: Kit 2, 55 watt ballast/bulb, 4300k, gatling, depends on price
    4. TmecTaco79 kit#2 35w bulbs/ballasts, 4300k, gatling shrouds-depending on price.
    5. timsxr; Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 5000k, gatling, 9006 harness depends on price
    6. woods247: Kit 2, 55 watt ballast/bulb, 4300k, Apollo, depends on price
    7. Tacodanny; Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 4300K; Gatling 2.0; depends on price
    8. mnudo200827; Kit 1; 55W ballast/bulbs; 5000k; Apollo; depends on price and timing
    9. kickers15l5 kit 1, 35 watt ballast, 5000k bulb, gatling
    10. Nightstr; Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 5000k, gatling, depends on price.
    11. blackturdtaco; Kit 2; 55 watt ballast/bulb; 5000k; apollo - depends on price
    12. memario1214; Kit 2; 55w ballast/bulbs; 5000K; Gatling Gun; depends on price
    13. Rashnu, Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 4300k, gatling, 9006 harness; Depend on the price
    14. scooter58, Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 5000k, apollo, depends on price
    15. SilverBullet07: Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 4300k, gatling gun, depends on price
    16. Shredtacoma: Kit 1, 35w, 5000k, Gatling, depends on price
    17. rajin, Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 4300K; Gatling 2.0; depends on price
    18. mixplatexr: Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 6000K; gatling gun; depends on price/shipping to hawaii
    19. delrayrasta ; Kit 1; 55w; philips 85122+ d2s; gatling gun ; decision to buy depends on price
    20. MY50cal; Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 4300K; Gatling; depends on price
    21. Jeverich, Kit 2, 55W Ballast, 5000k Bulb, Apollo Shroud
    22. jblaze805; option 2: Jblaze805, morimoto 35w, 5000k, gatling shrouds, and the H4/9003 relay depends on price
    23. Kram925]Kram925; kit 2; 55w ballast/bulbs; philips85211+ d2s; gatling gun; depends on price
    24. twisted_rage5; Kit #1: 55 Watt ballast/bulbs 5000K, gatling 2.0, depends on price
    25. APTJ; Kit 2; Watt 50; Morimoto 5FIVE 4300K; Gatling Gun
    26. ppham444; Kit 1; 35W ballast/bulbs; 4300K, Gatling Gun
    27. blacktaco21, kit#2 35w bulbs/ballasts, 4300k, gatling shrouds-depending on price
    28. dcwhite; kit 2, 35w ballast/bulbs; 6000K; Apollo
    29. Tacomian Devil: Kit 2; Morimoto 35w; 5000K; Gatling Gun, CCFL to fit
    30. OCTaco77: Kit 2; Morimoto 35w ballast/Phillips 85122+ D2S bulb; 5000K; Apollo
    31. MGMGRAND; Kit #2; 35w; Philips 85122+; Apollo
    32. OCtacorunner; doing his own thing
    33. red2last; Kit 2; Watt 3FIVE; Morimoto 3FIVE 6000K; Gatling Gun

****** WOO HOOOOO
    THE COUPON CODE:
    "TacomaWorld" (case sensitive, don't use the quotes)

It's 25% off of a complete stage III or stage IV kit, which is basically all their retrofit kits. Pick what you want, and order away! I believe you can order additional items, still getting 25% off, but don't quote me on that. Well, you'll know when you order and it goes through, or it doesn't!

Also check this GB out!
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/group-buys/150109-redline-tuning-hood-supports.html

2. Apr 7, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    import roller

import roller Vinyl Wrap installer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    No truck
    A+ for TRS. Got my kit from them for my Altima and i absolultely love it. But I would suggest getting the Phillips bulbs. I think they maybe a little brighter than the regular bulbs

3. Apr 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    RacerAV

Member:
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCSB4x4 (sold)
    think we will have any issues with the 55 watt ballasts and bulbs? Melting the stock housing, etc.... On my bikes, I've only used 35s so I figure go with what you know, BUT I'd like to have a little more output at the same price if its not a concern inside our OEM light housings....

Adamo

4. Apr 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    import roller

import roller Vinyl Wrap installer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    No truck
    I have never used the 55w, but from what I understand it will make the lights brighter, but the life span of the bulbs do get cut down. Not sure how much extra heat it will create inside the housing though. I'm probably going to order their 55w ballasts soon and see if i prefer the 35 or the 55

5. Apr 7, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    no melting or discoloration on the lens of some sort??? (due to it being 55w)

6. Apr 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    LouTaco

LouTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R SR5 Premium
    no special with Philips 85122+?

7. Apr 7, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    subbed depending on price

8. Apr 7, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    I'm in based on price and a call to determine what is best for my application.

9. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    bump i know people want to fo projector retro fits

10. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    East Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 BSP Pre Runner SR5
    Tint. (DONE) Soon to come. 3in Llift (OME) Color matched grill (DONE) BHLM (DONE) Tail tint (DONE) Pro comp rims (8069) End goal: Murdered out truck
    Holy shit word. In depending on price

11. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    :bananadance:

12. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    if price is discounted by 20% or more I'll be in for a set.

13. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    RacerAV

Member:
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCSB4x4 (sold)
    Well you guys know how it works, the price goes down depending on how many people get in, so put the word out!

AND PLEASE
    I'll update this with a list, just post IN THIS FORMAT:

Screen name; Kit #; Watt #; Shroud choice; and if your decision to buy depends on price, or not.

Mine will be this:
    RacerAV; Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; Apollo; depends on price

That way I can copy and paste your deal into "THE LIST", so we can keep track a bit easier. No time to spend searching through each post for the right info or whatever.

Thanks
    Adamo

14. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    what about the gatling 2.0??

nofords08: morimoto mini, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 4.3k, gatling 2.0, depends on price

15. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    Pingo

Pingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 S/C TRD Offroad A/C
    Their website doesn't seem to be working atm... Could just be my computer but would this include first gens as well?

16. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    RacerAV

Member:
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCSB4x4 (sold)
    yeah, you can choose your shroud, pick anyone thats available in their kits...

Adamo

17. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    it's a retro fit, so anything applies

18. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    RacerAV

Member:
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCSB4x4 (sold)
    yeah this includes 1st gens as well!

19. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    Pingo

Pingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 S/C TRD Offroad A/C
    In that case I would definitely be in depending on price and shipping to ak =p

20. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    octacorunner

octacorunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB
    t|x pro rims, trd exhaust painted flat black, retrofit hids on oem smoked headlights, weathertech digifits, interior & exterior LEDs, console vault, 20% tint (need to install: eyelids, lower grillcraft, satoshi by homer)
    Are we limited to just those two kits? I would prefer to get the fx-r stage iv kit...let me know thx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top