A quick copy/paste of info before you order!!!
yes. the mini's are less work.
This was an email conversation with matt from TRS a few months back:
OK so from here it's time to pick out what kit and what options within that kit are best for you - so I'll offer a few quick notes on my thoughts about these options below:
Deciding on the projector:
First and most important decision here. Between the FX-R and the Morimoto Mini Bi-xenons, your light output will easily out-perform your Toyota's stock headlight setup, and even outshine most vehicles that were factory equipped with xenons. Both options come stock with the upgraded clear lenses which give them a wide, bright, and uniform distribution of light with an upper cutoff line that is not only sharp, but has an attractive color-band across the top. (translating to that nice color flickering effect that's always associated with BMW, Acura, etc) - so don't think you need a high Kelvin bulb to achieve that look, its mostly from the projector.
As far as the installation goes, the FX-R will require permanent modification to your headlights, but if your a DIY kinda guy, It should not take more than a long afternoon to get the job done right. On the other hand, the Morimoto Mini Bi-xenons are awesome for those looking for a much easier yet still effective upgrade - since they don't typically require any cutting/mods to install.¬ They have a threaded shaft on the back-side that goes through the pre-existing hole in your reflector (where the light bulb comes through now) and holds tight with a threaded lock-ring and some other included hardware.
So basically if you are looking for maximum performance and don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty on the retrofit, the FX-R is my recommendation. If you want to get 90% of the performance and prefer a much easier installation, the Morimoto Mini setup is the way to go
Deciding on the shroud:
I usually recommend what will fit with little to no extra trimming required, and something that also matches well with the shape profile of the reflector inside your headlight (i.e. is it fully circular, oval shaped, shallow or deep, etc?)
Deciding on the Bulbs:
The Morimoto bulbs are a high quality aftermarket bulb that offers 90% of the quality of the optional Philips for less than half the price, so you get more bang for the buck there - though if you don't mind paying a bit more, you can't lose with the Philips. 4300K is what all cars with factory xenons come with, 5000K is a pure white, and 6000K will give you a hint of blue. Remember that the higher the Kelvin rating, the lower the Lumen rating - so you do sacrifice a bit of actual intensity by moving up this scale. I've always been a fan of the 5000K for a good middle ground, but again - your choice here.
To help you better visualize all this stuff, here are a few links to some related customer-provided pics:
Morimoto Mini D2S:http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/album.php?albumid=225
Then basic install guides:
Again this was from emails I had with TRS when I was considering a purchase.
JUST heard back from Matt @ The Retrofit Source, we are good to go with the discount % being the number of people in the GB, up to 25 people, meaning at least 25 people buying, get 25% off whatever you buy from them!!! He said that includes other things in the store, so if you want additional accessories, or other kits, order now!!! 25% off is GREAT, and with quality parts, at a great discount, get everything you MAY want later, you know? This made my day, hope it did for you as well! LETS MAX THIS OPPORTUNITY OUT!!!!!!!!
Okay ladies and gents, I've talked to The Retrofit Source, a cool looking company, with some great looking products. So far good customer service, and haven't heard anything negative about them. Here is what we've got! The prices below are what you'll pay now on your own. I'm waiting on the price tiers now, but lets see whos really interested and who isn't now. It's okay to be on the fence depending on price, just make sure you say so. If you're buying regardless, say so. If you just like pretty lights on trucks but your momma won't fund your crazy ideas, say so. All the normal GB procedures will be in effect here. So don't bail last minute, don't falk your buddies...
I'll update this with a list, REPLY IN THIS FORMAT:
Screen name; Kit #; Watt #; Bulb temp; Shroud choice; and if your decision to buy depends on price, or not.
MINE WILL LOOK LIKE THIS
RacerAV; Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 6000K; Apollo; depends on price
Get it? I'll be copying and pasting these from YOUR post into this original post, to keep the list up to date. Got it?
KIT 1) Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=141
FX-R Bi-xenon Projectors (LHD)
Morimoto 3Five or 5Five Ballasts
Morimoto 3Five or 5Five D2S Bulbs
Your choice of shrouds/bezels (Apollo and Gatling generally the most popular)
9003/H4 Bi-xenon relay wire harness (plug n play)
$315 shipped UPS with tracking and insurance
KIT 2) Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III D2S Kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237
Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-xenon projectors
Morimoto 3Five Ballasts
Morimoto 3Five D2S Bulbs
Your choice of shrouds/bezels (same as above)
9003/H4 Bi-xenon relay wire harness (plug n play)
$295 shipped UPS with tracking and insurance
These are the two choices we should stick with, and are really some of the best options for our trucks.
1. RacerAV; Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 6000K; Apollo; depends on price
2. nofords08: Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 4300k, gatling 2.0, depends on price
3. Pingo: Kit 2, 55 watt ballast/bulb, 4300k, gatling, depends on price
4. TmecTaco79 kit#2 35w bulbs/ballasts, 4300k, gatling shrouds-depending on price.
5. timsxr; Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 5000k, gatling, 9006 harness depends on price
6. woods247: Kit 2, 55 watt ballast/bulb, 4300k, Apollo, depends on price
7. Tacodanny; Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 4300K; Gatling 2.0; depends on price
8. mnudo200827; Kit 1; 55W ballast/bulbs; 5000k; Apollo; depends on price and timing
9. kickers15l5 kit 1, 35 watt ballast, 5000k bulb, gatling
10. Nightstr; Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 5000k, gatling, depends on price.
11. blackturdtaco; Kit 2; 55 watt ballast/bulb; 5000k; apollo - depends on price
12. memario1214; Kit 2; 55w ballast/bulbs; 5000K; Gatling Gun; depends on price
13. Rashnu, Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 4300k, gatling, 9006 harness; Depend on the price
14. scooter58, Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 5000k, apollo, depends on price
15. SilverBullet07: Kit 2, 35 watt ballast/bulb, 4300k, gatling gun, depends on price
16. Shredtacoma: Kit 1, 35w, 5000k, Gatling, depends on price
17. rajin, Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 4300K; Gatling 2.0; depends on price
18. mixplatexr: Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 6000K; gatling gun; depends on price/shipping to hawaii
19. delrayrasta ; Kit 1; 55w; philips 85122+ d2s; gatling gun ; decision to buy depends on price
20. MY50cal; Kit 1; 35w ballast/bulbs; 4300K; Gatling; depends on price
21. Jeverich, Kit 2, 55W Ballast, 5000k Bulb, Apollo Shroud
22. jblaze805; option 2: Jblaze805, morimoto 35w, 5000k, gatling shrouds, and the H4/9003 relay depends on price
23. Kram925]Kram925; kit 2; 55w ballast/bulbs; philips85211+ d2s; gatling gun; depends on price
24. twisted_rage5; Kit #1: 55 Watt ballast/bulbs 5000K, gatling 2.0, depends on price
25. APTJ; Kit 2; Watt 50; Morimoto 5FIVE 4300K; Gatling Gun
26. ppham444; Kit 1; 35W ballast/bulbs; 4300K, Gatling Gun
27. blacktaco21, kit#2 35w bulbs/ballasts, 4300k, gatling shrouds-depending on price
28. dcwhite; kit 2, 35w ballast/bulbs; 6000K; Apollo
29. Tacomian Devil: Kit 2; Morimoto 35w; 5000K; Gatling Gun, CCFL to fit
30. OCTaco77: Kit 2; Morimoto 35w ballast/Phillips 85122+ D2S bulb; 5000K; Apollo
31. MGMGRAND; Kit #2; 35w; Philips 85122+; Apollo
32. OCtacorunner; doing his own thing
33. red2last; Kit 2; Watt 3FIVE; Morimoto 3FIVE 6000K; Gatling Gun
****** WOO HOOOOO
THE COUPON CODE:
"TacomaWorld" (case sensitive, don't use the quotes)
It's 25% off of a complete stage III or stage IV kit, which is basically all their retrofit kits. Pick what you want, and order away! I believe you can order additional items, still getting 25% off, but don't quote me on that. Well, you'll know when you order and it goes through, or it doesn't!
Also check this GB out!