1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID Xenon Group Buy Round 2! Ends 10/31/08

Discussion in 'Closed Group Buys' started by slimsdepot, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 8, 2008 at 11:40 AM
    1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4 Squirrel Mincer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    Got my kit today, thanks for the quick turn around. That being said, what is the return policy on this kit? One of the bulbs is noticeably looser (not installed in the truck) than the other and the shields aren't in the same position from bulb to bulb. I still plan to install them tonight, but there is no way the beam patterns will be the comparable side to side. Also, the sloppy fit of the bulbs look like they will jiggle over every bump on the road, let alone off road.

Has anyone else noticed the same loose bulb issue on their kits?

2. Nov 8, 2008 at 2:39 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot [OP] slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    On the bixenon bulbs they are suppose to "wiggle" a little. They move when you turn your high beams on. That is completely normal. I don't offer refunds. I only do warranty replacement if something is damaged or not working. If you can take pictures of the shields I will let you know if it's normal or needs replacement. Have no worries I'll take care of you.

Thanks!
    ~Slim

3. Nov 8, 2008 at 3:11 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I would also like to see thses pics. Please post them here if ya'll are dealing through PMs. Thanks gents.

4. Nov 8, 2008 at 3:23 PM
    1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4 Squirrel Mincer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    Here are some quick and dirty shots. You'll notice the black shields are neither parallel nor extended the same amount.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FWIW, I am aware how the hi/lo switching works. However, one bulb has a definite excess of movement. One bulb wiggles in the base when you jiggle the assembly, the other does not. You can even hear the movement.

5. Nov 8, 2008 at 4:40 PM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    i just got my lights. as sad as it may seem i cant figure out how to install them based on looking at my current setup. Can someone make a quick tutorial? im afraid im going to break something :confused:

6. Nov 8, 2008 at 5:29 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I got mine and got them installed! Awesome lights! Very quick turn around. Thanks Slim!!!

Murph

7. Nov 8, 2008 at 5:47 PM
    medic2230

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Here's you a quick down and dirty setup!

1. Remove the negative battery terminal. And the fuse in the harness of the HID's

2. Remove your current lights.

3. Install bulbs in headlight assembly.

4. Connect the fused wire with circle connection off of the relay (black box) to the power point inside the under hood fuse box. Remove nut and place round connection on bolt and reinstall nut.

5. Connect black wire with circle connection to a body bolt near fuse block somewhere. (just find one) On other side connect other black wire with circle connection to body bolt over there too.

6. If the newer trucks still have a rubber boot over the lights when you installed the bulbs run the wires off the bulb through the boot.

7. Connect the wires to the ballast and then connect the wires for the bulbs. Short set connects on one side and long set on the other. On the long side your old headlight connection will just hang. On the short side you will plug your headlight connection into the harness with the relay (black box) that had connection that looks like your old bulbs had. The wires for the H.I.D.s have a fool proof connection on them as you will see when you get ready to connect them. Make sure when connecting the to line the clip locks up on the right side.

8. Connect the negative battery terminal back up. Install the fuse.

9. Flip it on and see the light. Awesome!!!! after you get done drooling turn them off and go back and secure the harness everywhere with wire ties and the ballast in a safe location. Don't play around with anything while they are on or you might get to feel what 23,000 volts feels like. Enjoy.

Got any questions just ask or PM me and I'll help walk you through it.

Murph

8. Nov 8, 2008 at 6:48 PM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    medic2230: I figured it out, thanks for the instructions.

Some concerns i have are that i connected the 12v straight to the battery, would i have a problem with that?

The other is that i didnt put the rubber gorment back over the bulbs.

Other than that, i pretty much did exactly what you said to do.

Everythings working great and im going to go take it for a spin around the block! :cool:

9. Nov 8, 2008 at 6:49 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I can see the difference between the two. I am currently out of town but will be back on Monday. I will replace both bulbs for you to make sure your 100% satisfied with your kit. I will PM you with instructions to do so. I appologize for any inconvenience.

10. Nov 8, 2008 at 7:00 PM
    1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4 Squirrel Mincer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    Thanks man, I appreciate it.

11. Nov 8, 2008 at 7:26 PM
    medic2230

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    I don't think there will be a problem with them connected straight to the battery. I've got a 1st gen so I didn't know if the 2nd gen had that 12v access point or not. I have always hooked all my extra mods to the power point.

Well I only put the larger part back over mine cause the boots dry rotted and the smaller portion that hugged the back of the bulb was still on the old bulbs when I took them out.

Glad you got it working!

Murph

12. Nov 8, 2008 at 9:17 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    On the install I recommend taking the bulb apart to put the rubber gromet in place for when they are installed the bulbs and light housing stay sealed to water etc.

Also I'm powered directly to the battery. I think that's the best way IMO.

13. Nov 8, 2008 at 9:36 PM
    1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4 Squirrel Mincer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    As promised, here are the pictures

Before/After Low Beams
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before/After High Beams
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beam Cutoffs HID ONLY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 4300K is nearly identical to my last car with factory HID, so the light output is a near perfect match for a stock looking system. Glare on the low beams doesn't appear to be an issue, and I haven't been flashed by oncoming drivers, yet. The high beams seem better...

That being said, I prefer the beam pattern of the halogen bulbs.

14. Nov 8, 2008 at 9:41 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    1-3-2-4, so you're getting rid of your kit that you just bought from Paul?

15. Nov 8, 2008 at 9:42 PM
    1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4 Squirrel Mincer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    Yes...it's already been sold.

16. Nov 9, 2008 at 10:55 PM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    hey guys i had 1 more question... are the ballasts water proof? im afraid of where i mounted everything that if i hit a puddle or something that im gona fry something and then im screwed...

17. Nov 10, 2008 at 7:39 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Yea they are but what I did for extra peace of mind is I siliconed the cracks with window/door silicone from home depot. Cost me $3 and I know for sure water is staying out lol.

18. Nov 11, 2008 at 12:14 PM
    GoingHuge

GoingHuge Member

Member:
    NW Washington
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Indigo SB Sex Machine
    Toy-tec 3", 5100's all around, grillcrafts, electric fan, Leer Can
    Hey Slim first off the install was cake, I will post up some pics of my install shortly.

But badly, after I got all done with the install I turn on the lights, and one of my fog lights never turned on.

After closer inspection, it looks like the bulb. I have not swapped bulbs, nor trouble shot anything, in fear of blowing another bulb or possibly a ballast.

Wondering what I should do. I have installed all the ballasts and screwed/glued them in behind the battery. So its going to be some work to get them back out. I can swap bulbs, but not sure if a bad ballast would blow the bulb, or if the bulb is even blown....I am assuming since the one that is not working in black in the middle, compared to a yellow/clear color for the working one.

Let me know if you would like me to trouble shoot the system, I see that others have done it over on TN. I just don't want to cause any further damage, but plugging in the working bulb to the other ballast is something I can do.

Here is a pic of the bulb, it looks different from the other fog bulb.

[​IMG]

Don't know if it got damaged in shipping, here is the fog light box, the headlight box was in perfect condition.

[​IMG]

Also wondering about replacement bulbs, is there a common size / brand? Or will we always have to order them through you? What happens in 5 years when one goes out, who can I call or get a hold of to order new bulbs.

Also do they break often? I would assume that they are like any florescent bulb, that tends to last for a lot longer than the typical filament bulbs.

19. Nov 11, 2008 at 7:19 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Hey there!

Ok what I want you to do is to swap the lights with one another so we can see if it is the ballast or the bulb. If it is a bad ballast it won't hurt your bulb because it won't even light it up. Once we figure out if its a bulb or the ballast then I will let you know how to go about getting it replaced with me. I will PM you with all the mailing info etc.

Let me know if I answered all your questions its hard to type a lot on my cell phone.

Thanks!
    ~Slim

20. Nov 11, 2008 at 11:00 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    If you guys wanna throw me some rep for such good deals I won't complain ;) lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top