Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

FEELER: Undercover Hidden Winch Mount System (05+ only)

Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
WahooTaco
gov875 is a jewel in the roughgov875 is a jewel in the roughgov875 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Matt
gov875's Tacoma Gallery
FEELER: Undercover Hidden Winch Mount System (05+ only)

GROUP BUY INTEREST FEELER

Hey guys I just wanted to gauge interest on doing an undercover hidden winch mount system group buy. Not sure what kind of discount we could get if any but I didn't want to pester the hardworking guys at Undercover HWMS until i had a rough idea.

For information go to: http://undercoverhwms.com/wp/
It allows you to put a winch right behind and below your grill but still keep your factory bumper saving weight and cost over a plate bumper. The weight of the unit is between 36-39 lbs. A great benefit of this is you won't need to change out your suspension parts to accomodate the winch and bumper's weight.

This is the unit you'd be installing (the winch is obviously not included and it is minus those shackle mounts, that was custom work by MadToy):

Here are a couple pics I stole of people's trucks on this site who have installed in on various years (thanks guys for the pics!)

(MadToy)

(conradtaco123)

Current cost before any discounts is $440 for 05+ Tacomas. Shipping is ~$45 to VA/MD according to their site but could be less or more depending on where you live. Should be at or under $500 total without any discounts.

PM me or respond to this thread if you're interested. Thanks!
-Matt
Old 03-08-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
1bad10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Interested, depending on price.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
IC MANDO is a splendid one to beholdIC MANDO is a splendid one to beholdIC MANDO is a splendid one to beholdIC MANDO is a splendid one to beholdIC MANDO is a splendid one to beholdIC MANDO is a splendid one to beholdIC MANDO is a splendid one to behold

Army: Infantry
Name: Isaac
IC MANDO's Tacoma Gallery
Hell's yeah

Very interested. How much does it weight?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Added to my ever-growing and increasingly expensive wishlist
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
WahooTaco
gov875 is a jewel in the roughgov875 is a jewel in the roughgov875 is a jewel in the rough

gov875's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC MANDO View Post
Very interested. How much does it weight?
The company got back to me and said the unit is 36-39lbs and shipped weight is 42lbs with packaging. Other weight saving recommendations would be to use synthetic rope for your winch (~15lbs savings) and use a billet aluminum hawse fairlead instead of roller fairlead (~12lbs savings).

Let me know if you have any other questions guys!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
I've been thinking about getting one of these as well, but I'm waiting on some clarification from Jimmy12 (the guy that fabs these). See below, or read the thread HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12 View Post
Hey guys how are ya? I hate to be the bearer of bad news,but that smittybuilt xrc winch will NOT work with our mount. Its just physically too big. We would have to lower the winch plate & the fairlead would come out down about 6" lower then where it come out now. & i dont like that idea or look to be honest with ya. Also that intro price ended a couple of weeks ago. I suppose if there was a few or group of you guys wanted to buy them @ once,I should be able to get you a little bit of money off. By the way if you hurry warn has a $80 dollar coupon that is good tiill the end of the month. If you shop around online you can get additional coupons for these online stores. You could purchase a warn VR8000 or M8000 very reasonable . Thanks & let me know.
I love your innovative and effective design, and I hope to purchase one of your mounts soon (so many mods, so little money). I have to ask though, why would you say the Smitty XRC8 won't fit. You posted specific dimensions on your website to determine which winches will work, and the XRC-8 definitely fits the specs you list. I'm frugal, and while I love the Warn models, I just can't justify spending an extra $300-$400 for a brand-name, when the XRC-8 has proven to be trustworthy many times. Are you just biased towards Warn? It seems that you would want to market a product that could accommodate more than 1 brand of winch.

Based on the specs below (taken from the manufacturers' websites) the XRC-8 is slightly smaller than the M8000 that you used.

Warn M8000/M8000-s

Winch Dimensions: 21.04" L x 6.3" D x 7.6" H (534mm L x 160m D x 193mm H)
Mounting Bolt Pattern:
10.0" x 4.5" (254mm x 114.3mm)

Warn VR8000/VR8000-s

Winch Dimensions: 20.80" L x 6.3" D x 6.97" H (528mm L x 160mm D x 177mm H)
Mounting Bolt Pattern:
10.0" x 4.5" (254mm x 114.3mm)

Smittybilt XRC-8/XRC-8 Comp
Overall Dimension: 21" L x 6.22" D x 7.283" H (558.8mm L x 158mm D x 185mm H)
*I just realized the XRC-8 may be slightly longer. 558.8mm is closer to 22", not 21" as they listed.
Mounting bolt pattern: 10" x 4.5" (4 bolts, 3/8") (254 mm x 114.3 mm)

Max Specs from your website

For use with 8000lb non-integrated solenoid winches with the dimensions below.
*No larger than: 21.04L x 6.3D x 7.6H
Mounting hole pattern: 10 x 4.5

Not trying to be a dick, just looking for some clarification. Again, I will most likely be buying your mount regardless, but if I HAVE to get a Warn, it will be quite a while before I can afford the "total package".
Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
WahooTaco

gov875's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
I've been thinking about getting one of these as well, but I'm waiting on some clarification from Jimmy12 (the guy that fabs these). See below, or read the thread HERE.
Benson X, sorry i hadn't found that thread when i started this one. Keep us posted on his response (i'll subscribe to the other thread as well). Maybe we could convince him to give the 350 introductory price if we can get a decent number of us in on this...
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gov875 View Post
Benson X, sorry i hadn't found that thread when i started this one. Keep us posted on his response (i'll subscribe to the other thread as well). Maybe we could convince him to give the 350 introductory price if we can get a decent number of us in on this...
No apologies necessary man (I'm not a thread "babysitter"). I mainly want to know if I can save some dough and get the XRC8 winch. I'll let you guys know if i get an answer.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
SoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoJersey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
SoJersey's Tacoma Gallery
hmmmm
Old 03-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
EDIT:

The "Socalduckslayer" mount is not from Undercover Hidden. That is a home built unit. As you see, it is lower than the others, allowing a larger variety of winches, creates more upward pull and retains license plate, does requires cutting.

I cannot speak on behalf of the Undercover units, looks like a great product.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
WahooTaco

gov875's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
EDIT:

The "Socalduckslayer" mount is not from Undercover Hidden. That is a home built unit. As you see, it is lower than the others, allowing a larger variety of winches, creates more upward pull and retains license plate, does requires cutting.

I cannot speak on behalf of the Undercover units, looks like a great product.
picture removed. i misunderstood your post on a different thread. that location looks great on the 12 though. thanks for the correction.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gov875 View Post
picture removed. i misunderstood your post on a different thread. that location looks great on the 12 though. thanks for the correction.

No worries, I didn't want anyone mislead thinking it would fit up on a 2012 like mine is.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Interested & subbed. I need a price.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #15
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
interested depending on price and delivery times.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
RobbySkateboard is on a distinguished road
Name: Robby
RobbySkateboard's Tacoma Gallery
definitely interested, even if the discount is small, I was just looking into getting one of these anyways.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
...and we're back!

So far, here's the *OFFICIAL* list:

1. Cody - Large
2. Matt - magnetic11
3. ? - RobbySkateboard

*On a side-note. I was emailing with Jimmy yesterday, and he confirmed that while initially designing/test-fitting this mount, the Smittybilt XRC-8 was not believed to fit without a ton of chopping/trimming. He confirmed that he has tested it more recently, and it WILL indeed fit. He does not recommend the XRC-8 winch though, as he has not had good luck with it in the past (reliability/quality issues). Based off his experience, it is not officially endorsed by him as a good option for this mount. Go with a Warn, it can only benefit you in the long run.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Interested depending on price .
Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
carolinataco is on a distinguished road
carolinataco's Tacoma Gallery
Interested depending on price... like everyone else.