Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

OFFICIAL KING GROUP BUY from DSM 4/26/2012

Old 04-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #21
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqoma View Post
PM sent

PM sent on price....getting answer for 3" all pro leaf packs soon

getting answer for your question soon
Usually the Fox 2.5's with 10" of travel work fine so a comparable KING shock would be what you want to look at.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
Usually the Fox 2.5's with 10" of travel work fine so a comparable KING shock would be what you want to look at.
I'm waiting for an answer from DSM but here's my thoughts:

what's the compressed and extended length of those foxes?

if the shock body is just longer, you might not need the longer shock shaft stroke to get the proper length for the leaf pack.

Example
Icon rear shock
* Travel: 9.3"
* Extended Length: 24.22"
* Compressed Length: 14.92"

King OEM performance series rear shock
Shock Shaft Stroke: 8.71"
Extended Length: 24.29"
Compressed Length: 15.58"

the Icon has .5" more "travel" but the King has longer extended length (actually pretty much the same)

isn't the total extended length what u need to know if a leaf pack will work? not the " shock travel" ?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #23
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm waiting for an answer from DSM but here's my thoughts:

what's the compressed and extended length of those foxes?

if the shock body is just longer, you might not need the longer shock shaft stroke to get the proper length for the leaf pack.

Example
Icon rear shock
* Travel: 9.3"
* Extended Length: 24.22"
* Compressed Length: 14.92"

King OEM performance series rear shock
Shock Shaft Stroke: 8.71"

the Icon has .5" more "travel" but the King has longer extended length (actually pretty much the same)

isn't the total extended length what u need to know if a leaf pack will work? not the " shock travel" ?
I was quoting the travel so you knew exactly which shock to look at the dimensions on. I am running the extended 5100's right now and replacing today with the fox and running the All pro expo packs...

Shock TravelExtended LengthCollapsed Length
10.0"26.10"16.10"

Also its the 2.0's not .5's. Sorry
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #24
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
I guess the question is...what's the required extended shock length of the All Pro standard/Expo packs. those foxes have a total length of 26" which is 2" longer than the Kings. do you think the expo's require the extra 2" of length? I'm not sure

trying to find out soon for everyone
Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #25

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
OK guys regarding the use of 3" or higher leaf springs such as All Pro expo/standard

I have been in touch with Marco at DSM, I called All Pro, called Deaver and have messaged a few members here on the site with Expo leafs. Here's is what I have gathered.

All Pro was very vague about the correct shock length needed for the 3" Expo/standard leaf pack. They could only say, "9-9.5in of travel should work" but when I asked about the overall extended length of the shock they didn't have an answer.

**To determine the correct extended length for the rear shocks each person needs to measure their leaf springs at full extension/compression...from shock mount on the frame to shock mount on the axle.

I have searched high and low and found a few measurements for the expo's extension length. I found two people posting the measurements on TW: YumaTRD and badger

What this could mean to you: might need to beef up your bump stops to prevent bottoming out the shock and/or limit straps to prevent the shocks from holding the weight of the axle and wheels at full droop.

ALL PRO EXPO (estimated measurements...I have not measured myself!)
Extended Length: 26-27.5"
Compressed Length: 14-16"

KING REAR SHOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
What would be the recommended leaf pack for these? I don't usually carry a lot of load in my bed but I throw mine and a friend's dirt bike in there from time to time. I am interested in these for sure as soon as I figure out a few things. Like I said in the other thread, I do plan to offroad a bit.
I think a leaf pack that doesn't lift a full 3" is OK. Deaver J66 packs only lift 1 - 1.5 inches. Any AAL should be fine as well...but you should always measure so you know what's maxed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronzo View Post
Do you wheel your truck? If so you probably will want a longer shock, if not then you should be fine. I have about 27.5" from mounting point to mounting point with my expo pack when drooped.

If you want All Pro Expo see this ^^^

Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #26
whiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
whiteboy's Tacoma Gallery
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-50...ng-sleeve.html

What's the point of something like that. That's not a replacement for those rubber bump stops, is it? Sounds like the safe thing to do is to just get limit straps for the back.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #27

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-50...ng-sleeve.html

What's the point of something like that. That's not a replacement for those rubber bump stops, is it? Sounds like the safe thing to do is to just get limit straps for the back.
hydraulic bump stops are far better than regular "rubber" bump stops, esp the stock ones. The rubber type bump stops bounce your suspension back, kinda screwing with the rebound IIRC. Bump stops like you linked will cushion the impact, prevent bottoming out of the shock and if properly valved will fall back down slowly, allowing the LCA or axle to fall away on it's own instead of getting bounced back down.

honestly if you're going to run a 3" leaf pack like All Pro's...I think the safer thing to do is get the proper length shock vs. limit straps. But u can still get the front coilovers if u want to run All Pro leafs.

Personally I'm looking to run Deaver J66 so I feel safe with these King rears. Still, I'm going to measure the leafs when I get them installed to make sure. Knowing is half the battle, yo Joe.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #28
whiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well now my head's in a blender. Maybe I'll just get the front coilovers and figure out the rear situation later. Is mixing and matching shocks a bad idea? Kings in front, icon's or fox's in back?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #29

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well now my head's in a blender. Maybe I'll just get the front coilovers and figure out the rear situation later. Is mixing and matching shocks a bad idea? Kings in front, icon's or fox's in back?
My bad man Im not trying to confuse ya.

I think u have a couple options

Get both and don't use leaf springs that give 3"+ of lift. Possibly a simple AAL will be good enuf for your weekend adventures.

Get the fronts and do the rear later. U can mix/match shocks but if they're "fighting each other" then u might need to re-valve one of them to work with the other.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #30

Ah, I see. I'm leaning to the all pro expo's as they give the lift I want along with weight capacity I'd like to get. I'm more of a buy once, cry once kind of guy so I might have to hold out until I find something that will work for me.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #31

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah, I see. I'm leaning to the all pro expo's as they give the lift I want along with weight capacity I'd like to get. I'm more of a buy once, cry once kind of guy so I might have to hold out until I find something that will work for me.
if u want expo's you can still run these coilovers for the front.

if u want proper length rear shocks for expo's, from what I've searched, you're going to need a shock with at least 27" extended length. I'm 99.9% sure King makes a shock to fit the Expo leaf pack...but it's not included in this GB unfortunately
Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #32
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Hello TW,

Again, I have to give praise to Taqoma for the handling of this GB. Thank you!

Many questions about the rear shock have come up. Ultimately, as Taqoma stated, you will need to measure your rear springs for travel, to determine the length of shocks that you need. We have provided the King dimensions for their Tacoma shocks, for your reference in determining if they will work.

FYI...When dealing with rear leaf/spring & shock set ups, you will almost never find the exact dimension that you need. You will (usually) end up with a shock that's either too long and you'll need to limit your bump travel, or too short and you'll limit your droop travel. The key is to find the happy medium on shock length, that allows the maximum overall travel.

King can build the rear shocks longer, but they charge an extra $200 to do so. I'm in contact with them about seeing if they can do them for us a little cheaper, for the GB, but haven't received a response. I called them late yesterday, so I probably won't get an answer until Monday afternoon. I will keep you posted....

Thank you,
-Marco
Old 04-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #33

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
Hello TW,

Again, I have to give praise to Taqoma for the handling of this GB. Thank you!

Many questions about the rear shock have come up. Ultimately, as Taqoma stated, you will need to measure your rear springs for travel, to determine the length of shocks that you need. We have provided the King dimensions for their Tacoma shocks, for your reference in determining if they will work.

FYI...When dealing with rear leaf/spring & shock set ups, you will almost never find the exact dimension that you need. You will (usually) end up with a shock that's either too long and you'll need to limit your bump travel, or too short and you'll limit your droop travel. The key is to find the happy medium on shock length, that allows the maximum overall travel.

King can build the rear shocks longer, but they charge an extra $200 to do so. I'm in contact with them about seeing if they can do them for us a little cheaper, for the GB, but haven't received a response. I called them late yesterday, so I probably won't get an answer until Monday afternoon. I will keep you posted....

Thank you,
-Marco
WOW! Thanks Marco!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #34
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Let me know when you find out the travel with a j66 pack . Subd
Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #35

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Let me know when you find out the travel with a j66 pack . Subd
don't u have the J66? jack up your rear pumpkin and bust out the measuring tape! I won't be purchasing my Deavers for a month or so (heck going to be 6 weeks to get the shocks )

I'm just going out on a limb *hoping* the J66 will be a perfect fit since they don't provide a lot of lift. I'd actually like to know too haha
Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #36
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Yah lazy . The j66 gave me 1 1/4" lift and leveled out the truck with my coilovers at 2.5" lift . My sig picture is without the j66
Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #37
kevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant future

kevinthefawker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
don't u have the J66? jack up your rear pumpkin and bust out the measuring tape! I won't be purchasing my Deavers for a month or so (heck going to be 6 weeks to get the shocks )

I'm just going out on a limb *hoping* the J66 will be a perfect fit since they don't provide a lot of lift. I'd actually like to know too haha
Gb on the deaver j66 also? Haha
Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #40

Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick54 View Post
I was doing a little reading up on these shocks and keep hearing one common issue, they are a real bear to adjust even if removed from the vehicle. I don't know if this is because of a lack of understanding the procedure or what, but I would like to hear from those who have had success with the adjustment and how you did it.
Adjust what exactly? The valving? These don't have adjustment knobs u have to remove them, take apart, and change the shims on either the compression and/or rebound side of the piston. This is what changes the flow of oil and thus the behavior of the shock

Is that what ur talking about?