LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

OFFICIAL KING GROUP BUY from DSM 4/26/2012

Old 04-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #42
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Good afternoon,
This is Sonny, I saw this question and figured I would chime in.
Yes normally Marco fields these questions, Its Saturday and everyone needs a day off, ha,ha..
Any way you are correct, if it is not done properly it can be very difficult to adjust the pre-load (Amount of spring force) on King coil-over shocks or just about any bolt in OEM Coil-over shock for that matter.

Easiest way is to put the shock in a wall mounted spring compressor (Strut Compressor) we use a Branick one, seems to be the safest so far.Compress the spring and take the pre-load off of the coil nut and adjust the coil nut while the shock is in the spring compressor.Kings have an allen bolt in the coil nut and you will need to back that off first, back off and not remove.
Then adjust the coil nut a few turns to add or remove pre-load and then tighten back up the allen bolt and back off the load from the spring compressor and you have now just adjusted the pre-load on the spring (Which is what determines the vehicles ride height). Spring holds up the weight of the vehicle and valving inside the shock controls the movement us the suspension (Wheel & tire and Vehicle).

More Pre-Load (Stiffer ride) and you are increasing ride height, but you will sacrifice ride quality. Kings come pre-set from King about 2"-2 1/4" of ride height change.King was more concerned about the ride quality of the vehicle then the vehicle sitting tall.

Hope this helps...
Enjoy your weekend.
Sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick54 View Post
I was doing a little reading up on these shocks and keep hearing one common issue, they are a real bear to adjust even if removed from the vehicle. I don't know if this is because of a lack of understanding the procedure or what, but I would like to hear from those who have had success with the adjustment and how you did it.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #43
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Price for front and rear please.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #44
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
Good afternoon,
Yes normally Marco fields these questions, Its Saturday and everyone needs a day off, ha,ha..
Any way you are correct, if it is not done properly it can be very difficult to adjust the pre-load (Amount of spring force) on King coil-over shocks or just about any bolt in OEM Coil-over shock for that matter.

Easiest way is to put the shock in a wall mounted spring compressor (Strut Compressor) we use a Branick one, seems to be the safest so far.Compress the spring and take the pre-load off of the coil nut and adjust the coil nut while the shock is in the spring compressor.Kings have an allen bolt in the coil nut and you will need to back that off first, back off and not remove.
Then adjust the coil nut a few turns to add or remove pre-load and then tighten back up the allen bolt and back off the load from the spring compressor and you have now just adjusted the pre-load on the spring (Which is what determines the vehicles ride height). Spring holds up the weight of the vehicle and valving inside the shock controls the movement us the suspension (Wheel & tire and Vehicle).

More Pre-Load (Stiffer ride) and you are increasing ride height, but you will sacrifice ride quality. Kings come pre-set from King about 2"-2 1/4" of ride height change.King was more concerned about the ride quality of the vehicle then the vehicle sitting tall.

Hope this helps...
Enjoy your weekend.
Sonny
Thanks for clearing that up Sonny. I don't know why I assumed valving and not the simple pre-load adjustment

The one thing I was curious is if we wanted could we have one of the coils pre-loaded a little more to take away the "taco lean" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meantaco View Post
Price for front and rear please.
PM sent
Old 04-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #45
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

We have sold quite a few sets of the Kings and we have not had any issues to date with the infamous lean. Due to the reservoir mounting there is a driver side and passenger side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqoma View Post
Thanks for clearing that up Sonny. I don't know why I assumed valving and not the simple pre-load adjustment

The one thing I was curious is if we wanted could we have one of the coils pre-loaded a little more to take away the "taco lean" ?

PM sent
Old 04-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #46
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Sonny,

That answers my question exactly, I appreciate you taking the time to explain this. I do have a followup question to anyone who may know; are there any shocks for Tacomas that enable on vehicle adjustment to accomidate both ride quality and ride height?

Quote:
Good afternoon,

Hope this helps...
Enjoy your weekend.
Sonny
Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #47
Downsouth Motorsport

Good morning,
As far as I know, there are not any coil-overs that can be adjusted on the vehicle per say, but I know of a few people that have adjusted ICONS and a few Kings here and there and some Fox's while on the vehicle.It takes a little bit of elbow grease and you have to be very, very careful.Since the pre-load is not being taken off of the coil-nut and they are just adjusting it by brute force it can be a little scary if you do not know what you are doing and you run the risk of cross-threading the coil-nut.
Thanks,
Sonny

Quote:
Thanks Sonny,

That answers my question exactly, I appreciate you taking the time to explain this. I do have a followup question to anyone who may know; are there any shocks for Tacomas that enable on vehicle adjustment to accomidate both ride quality and ride height?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #48
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Sonny

Thanks again for the rapid response, an informed decision increases the odds of making a good decision.

Quote:
Good morning,
As far as I know, there are not any coil-overs that can be adjusted on the vehicle per say, but I know of a few people that have adjusted ICONS and a few Kings here and there and some Fox's while on the vehicle.It takes a little bit of elbow grease and you have to be very, very careful.Since the pre-load is not being taken off of the coil-nut and they are just adjusting it by brute force it can be a little scary if you do not know what you are doing and you run the risk of cross-threading the coil-nut.
Thanks,
Sonny
Old 04-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #49
Downsouth Motorsport

I agree 100%, Knowledge is power..
Let us know if you have any other questions..
Thank you,
Sonny

Quote:
Hey Sonny

Thanks again for the rapid response, an informed decision increases the odds of making a good decision.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #50
prodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: DoD-Civil Service
prodigy808's Tacoma Gallery
So if I wanted to set front coilovers at 2.50" is there anyway way to know exactly how many turns or how many threads showing to achieve this instead off removing and installing the coilovers numerous times on the truck being lifted or is it trial and error?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #52
prodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to beholdprodigy808 is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: DoD-Civil Service
prodigy808's Tacoma Gallery
Thnks Gelo. I got a deal on ebay for a set of King coilovers but dont know if previous owner adj. them any. I still have not got them yet I hope I wasnt scammed on this set. Auction ended on the 19th of April. Tried to contact seller numerous times with no luck. I will give it a few more days and if I dont get them I will file a claim.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #53
OsideTRD will become famous soon enoughOsideTRD will become famous soon enough

OsideTRD's Tacoma Gallery
front and rear price please. thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #54
Downsouth Motorsport

Good afternoon,
The Kings come from King set at about 2.0"-2.250" of ride height change and according to King's installation instructions 4-5 turns is equal to about 1" of ride height change.The amount threads that are usually showing when the Kings come out of the box is about 1/4"-3/8" of thread.
If you need them set higher, we can have King add a few turns of pre-load on the shocks when they are built, but you will need to let us know that at the time of your order when the shocks are being built, not after the order.
Hope this helps...
Enjoy your Sunday...
Sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigy808 View Post
So if I wanted to set front coilovers at 2.50" is there anyway way to know exactly how many turns or how many threads showing to achieve this instead off removing and installing the coilovers numerous times on the truck being lifted or is it trial and error?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #56
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigy808 View Post
Thnks Gelo. I got a deal on ebay for a set of King coilovers but dont know if previous owner adj. them any. I still have not got them yet I hope I wasnt scammed on this set. Auction ended on the 19th of April. Tried to contact seller numerous times with no luck. I will give it a few more days and if I dont get them I will file a claim.
Yeah give him a couple more days . The 19th was a Thursday and he could be a slacker and didn't get them in the mail until like the following wednesday plus shipping time . Hope it pans out If not we always have dsm .
Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #58
whiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
whiteboy's Tacoma Gallery
When will we know if they can extend the rear shocks? I have to find someone to measure their leaf springs to see if they are compatible.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #59
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
I couldnt measure mine! sorry Taqoma.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #60
Downsouth Motorsport

Here is what we came up with, when speaking to King about the added length.

They cannot build them to ~27" because of the stem top cans being custom. What we can do, is run a +1" longer rod end, and remove the overlap spacer, to gain an extra 1 3/4" on the extended length. But with the longer rod end, it will also extend the collapsed length by an inch. So if we go this route, here are what the dimensions would be:
Extended...26.04 Collapsed...16.83

Again, it will be completely up to each user, to measure and make sure the shocks you order will work for your application.

Hope this helps...

Also, some members are asking about adding the compression adjusters. We can do that for you if you'd like. This is normally a $300/per pair option, but for the GB we're offering it for $255/per pair. It may add a little bit of time to the build time...

Thanks,
-Marco @ DSM