Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

Transmission Dipstick Location

Old 06-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
blacktoy is on a distinguished road

blacktoy's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Dipstick Location

Hi,

Anyone know where the Transmission dipstick is located on a 2011 TRD? I looked in the manual, under the hood and on the web....still cant find it...newbee I guess

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Old 06-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Does not have one!
Old 06-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #3

Wow, how can we know the level? When do we have to change it?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel1274 View Post
Does not have one!

FALSE!!!!

Its next to were you fill up with blinker fluid
Old 06-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #5

So should I change the transmission oil at the same time as the exhaust fluids
Old 06-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission fluid gets changed with the muffler bearing
Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Change along with the tire rod ends
Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Captarm is on a distinguished road

Name: Armand
Captarm's Tacoma Gallery
That was my thought also. My truck was slipping at when I bought it with 11k took it in at 15K to have it check. Was down 1 qt. and dealer said I let the fluid out. It cost me $115. To put a qt. in. I personal don't like the trans. without a dip stick
Old 06-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Why is this in the group buy section?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
There are some write-ups on here.

There's a fill plug and level-check plug.

Toyota feels their world-standard transmission fluid is good for the life of the vehicle. Used ATF analyses over on Bob suggest it should be a 30,000/60,000 fluid, i.e. replaced every 30k miles under harsh use, 60k under normal use.

IMO, Toyota's recommendation of 60k for harsh use and never for "regular" use (whatever the hell that is) is extremely stupid and indicative of the decision making problems they had before Akio Toyoda got back involved.

In any event, drain and fill is not too difficult, but it is temperature sensitive. A manual flush is a little more complex. If you want the dealer to do it, be prepared to get in a little pissing contest with them...they will tell you the fluid doesn't need to be serviced, they will tell you it's good for the life of the vehicle...they also try to avoid it because the method for checking the correct level is tedious.

The reason for the lack of dipstick is ToMoCo engineers felt people would be less likely to fuck with the trans if it didn't have one. They were right.

I'll be taking the truck to the dealer soon (almost 30k) and bullying them into doing a flush.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Is this a group buy on transmission dipsticks or what?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 TRD Sport View Post
Ill take 4!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 TRD Sport View Post
Shit, I'd like one.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Just need a little jumper wire instead. Much simpler that way.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
in on this group buy
Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I miss the dip stick ... but still plan to do all of my transmission fluid changes ... starting at 30K to 50K miles for the first change ... and I do not tow either.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #17

Sorry all, did not realize this was in the group buy section Thanks for the info, I baby my truck so I will wait until 60K to change it, hopefully its not a big job. I find it pretty unlikely that any fluid can last the whole life of the vehicle
Old 06-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
There are some write-ups on here.

There's a fill plug and level-check plug.

Toyota feels their world-standard transmission fluid is good for the life of the vehicle. Used ATF analyses over on Bob suggest it should be a 30,000/60,000 fluid, i.e. replaced every 30k miles under harsh use, 60k under normal use.

IMO, Toyota's recommendation of 60k for harsh use and never for "regular" use (whatever the hell that is) is extremely stupid and indicative of the decision making problems they had before Akio Toyoda got back involved.

In any event, drain and fill is not too difficult, but it is temperature sensitive. A manual flush is a little more complex. If you want the dealer to do it, be prepared to get in a little pissing contest with them...they will tell you the fluid doesn't need to be serviced, they will tell you it's good for the life of the vehicle...they also try to avoid it because the method for checking the correct level is tedious.

The reason for the lack of dipstick is ToMoCo engineers felt people would be less likely to fuck with the trans if it didn't have one. They were right.

I'll be taking the truck to the dealer soon (almost 30k) and bullying them into doing a flush.
Thank, very helpful!!