Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

Group Buy-Pelfreybilt Skidplates

Old 09-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #61
bcm79 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
bcm79's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in on this. Stock tinfoil pieces are bent to hell and it's time to get 'em off my truck.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #62
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Got mine last week. Superb craftsmanship. Thanks man.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #63
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
paypalled as promised.
BTW, are we removing, or bolting to these members?

(photo credit: relentless)
Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #64
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
paypalled as promised.
BTW, are we removing, or bolting to these members?

(photo credit: relentless)
For the front skid,the two braces are removed.

I did the usual man thing and tossed the instructions

Read them only after a few minutes

It is a real skid plate for sure.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #65
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
The supports are removed and four of the bolts that are removed are reused with the IFS skid.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #66
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Update?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #67
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Last ones from the group buy are being bent right now. Shipping next week
Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #68
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Got a call from Fastenal yesterday. Picked skids up this morning. Woot!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #69
Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Quote:
Got a call from Fastenal yesterday. Picked skids up this morning. Woot!
Right on, took a while to get them there, only a few hundred miles. Let me know how everything fits up on the 4banger.
Thanks again
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #70
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
Im interested in a IFS + Mid skid combo or just IFS by itself. Whats the eta on them for non group buy buyers? I need one by November 10th
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #71
Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oury View Post
Im interested in a IFS + Mid skid combo or just IFS by itself. Whats the eta on them for non group buy buyers? I need one by November 10th
Group but is over but I have all skids in stock and can ship within a day
Old 10-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #72
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I installed these today.

On the regular cab, the mid-skid attachment point (where you drill the holes) lines up wrong with one of the frame rivets, like so.

I ground off the rivet, then drilled and attached. Not sure everyone will want to do that. If the skid were 1.5" shorter, it would clear. Conversely, I can't see any reason not to grind off that rivet - all the frame plates are welded, and it would appear that the rivet is a leftover from an assembly step where the frame plates are fitted, riveted, and then welded together. Furthermore, the new bolt takes over the holding job that the rivet was previously performing.

Also, when you're gonna drill the frame, just go down to the hardware store and pony up for the $15 cobalt drill bit. (That's the price for ONE bit, not a set.) Use oil and a low drill speed, and take breaks to keep the drill bit from getting too hot and losing its temper. If you do this, drilling the frame is still reasonably difficult, but it's no longer a swearing, sweating, cursing p@in in the @ss.

Aside from that, no bolt hole line-up issues. (though for a few minutes I *thought* there was one. )

Anyhow, I'm quite happy with the sturdiness/strength, fit, and design.

PS: As an aside, I sometimes hear folks suggesting to buy skids to deter catalytic converter theft. While it's a little harder to see and access the cats, I'm pretty convinced that a thief with a cordless sawzall could still remove the cats, even with the skids in place. I'm nnot so convinced that I can change the oil filter without either removing the front skid or making a huge mess, but that's a story for another day

PPS: Oh yeah - I did have one question. Not enough lock washers were supplied to go with all the replacement bolts. Which bolts are intended to have lockwashers on them? I used them on the transmission crossmember.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #73
Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Quote:
I installed these today.

On the regular cab, the mid-skid attachment point (where you drill the holes) lines up wrong with one of the frame rivets, like so.

I ground off the rivet, then drilled and attached. Not sure everyone will want to do that. If the skid were 1.5" shorter, it would clear. Conversely, I can't see any reason not to grind off that rivet - all the frame plates are welded, and it would appear that the rivet is a leftover from an assembly step where the frame plates are fitted, riveted, and then welded together. Furthermore, the new bolt takes over the holding job that the rivet was previously performing.

Also, when you're gonna drill the frame, just go down to the hardware store and pony up for the $15 cobalt drill bit. (That's the price for ONE bit, not a set.) Use oil and a low drill speed, and take breaks to keep the drill bit from getting too hot and losing its temper. If you do this, drilling the frame is still reasonably difficult, but it's no longer a swearing, sweating, cursing p@in in the @ss.

Aside from that, no bolt hole line-up issues. (though for a few minutes I *thought* there was one. )

Anyhow, I'm quite happy with the sturdiness/strength, fit, and design.

PS: As an aside, I sometimes hear folks suggesting to buy skids to deter catalytic converter theft. While it's a little harder to see and access the cats, I'm pretty convinced that a thief with a cordless sawzall could still remove the cats, even with the skids in place. I'm nnot so convinced that I can change the oil filter without either removing the front skid or making a huge mess, but that's a story for another day

PPS: Oh yeah - I did have one question. Not enough lock washers were supplied to go with all the replacement bolts. Which bolts are intended to have lockwashers on them? I used them on the transmission crossmember.
Yikes, first one on a reg cab. I assume you were able to make it work, the bolt will basically replace the rivet. How did everything work out with the 4banger on that particular skid with the exhaust?
Thank you for letting me know, I will let reg cab folks know that removing that rivet is necessary.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #74
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Tapatalk isn't showing the rest of my post after the pic there.

I ground off the rivet, and no issues with the exhaust.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #75
Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Ok, now I can see the balance of your post. Glad you got everything to work out. The lock washers have identified locations in the instructions. Anywhere that there was not a lock washer from the factory did not get a new one.
Let me know on the oil situation, thats another 4banger question that has not yet been answered. Thank you for all the feedback
Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #76
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
patiently waiting for my skids.