1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Round 9 - HID Projector Retrofit Group Buy

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by ambiguous, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I changed my mind on the 2013. Wasn't worth the price difference and getting back into a payment. But even if I do this Retro, then sell the truck a month later and can probably still sell em and make a profit

2. Sep 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I'm so undecided to! :confused:

Where in SoCal are you. Maybe meet up sometime so I can check those out against a MGM

3. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    streetfury

streetfury Well-Known Member

Member:
    Inland Empire
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Access Cab
    I'm from IE Riverside area

4. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Dragged in an old motorcycle battery.
    It still showed 11.5v with no load, so I was hopeful it would be enough to fire the ballasts.

Success. I checked the solenoids first and they both worked perfectly.
    Connected the ballasts and burners and they popped on with no problems.

Cutoff looks good, ballparking holding the housings level, it looks like they might be rotated just a hair to the left, but it's nowhere near the 20 degrees off that someone else reported in their review/install thread.
    If anything, it's cool, and they are "off" in the right direction, being a bit lower on the side of oncoming traffic.

Got the glue in the grooves and the covers clamped on. Just need to cook them and fully seat the covers, but it's 80 degrees in here right now and the AC has been running since 10 this morning. I'm not turning the oven on today.

5. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    REDTRD

REDTRD Woods & Water Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    Dang just washed the truck and waxed the heck out of it all day. Well just noticed the slightest bit of foggy look in my passenger side light. I have so much freaking window weld and silicone I have no idea how anything could get in there. So now the question how do I get it out? Drill a hole? If so so where's the best place to drill

6. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The housings are not sealed.
    There are two vents on the back... caps or hoses depending on the manufacturer, plus the opening for the light itself... Did you modify and reinstall the big rubber boot or did you leave that open?

With enough heat and time, they should dry out. Just avoid using a direct jet from a pressure washer, especially under the hood.

7. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    Rascal737

Rascal737 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Python 574 Remote start/Security system, reusable cabin air filter, led map and dome lights, led bed lights, switchback dtrl's, aftermarket dual halo projector headlights retrofitted with TRS goodies, foglights on anytime, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Redline hood struts and EZ down tailgate, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Black Westin 4" oval step bars
    did you check the back of the housing to see if any of the plastic caps and rubber plugs are missing or not on tight, any gaps where the wiring goes into the housing?? I would check this before drilling any holes.

8. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    I didn't put those clear plastic caps back on I forgot about those. And I did put back the big rubber pieces on.

9. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    Rascal737

Rascal737 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Python 574 Remote start/Security system, reusable cabin air filter, led map and dome lights, led bed lights, switchback dtrl's, aftermarket dual halo projector headlights retrofitted with TRS goodies, foglights on anytime, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Redline hood struts and EZ down tailgate, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Black Westin 4" oval step bars
    that's probably why...they're there to help the headlights vent...but too much moisture can get in if they are not there...i think:confused:

10. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I didn't even take mine off.
    No problems in the oven either opening (10 minutes at 300, no flame) or baking the paint (5 minutes at 250, oven on).

Just a note... the housings were MUCH hotter coming out from the paint baking than they were from the first cook when I opened them up.

Preheated to 300, put them on cardboard for 10 minutes and I was able to handle them and separate them easily.
    250 for 5 minutes, needed a potholder to remove them.

11. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    I'll put them back on in the morning and see if it helps. Luckily no rain in sight for awhile. But I agree with ya they are there for a reason, can't be for looks since they are on the back lol

12. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    sometimes tooooo much window butyl is bad...

13. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders
    I used window weld on mine to and never had moisture up until 3 weeks ago. I filled the cracks and clamped the pi$$ out of it. Then wiped up the extra. I don't think the seal is leaking on mine, i think its the bulb cover and that stuff

14. Sep 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    BlueJay

BlueJay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport 4x4 Speedway Blue
    Yellow-Wire Mod, Any-time backup camera, Bilstein 5100's @ .85, Rear TSB Springs, FX-R Projectors
    Finally finished. Think the painting turned out to be the worst part of the whole thing. Kept messing up and because they *have* to be perfect for my own sake, I would have to re-sand and repaint. Such a process this was, so glad its over lol.

Thank you TRS for this group buy, and everyone who helped make it happen.

Here's my pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, anyone know why my Left Headlight has a bright spot being sent out and not the left? I double checked the bulbs and they both look like they are in correctly. Think its supposed to be more of an even output like the right. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

15. Sep 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    sometimes there is a minor flaw in the build of the projector? maybe the projector itself or the lens...... iono

16. Sep 10, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    GMRtaco

GMRtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    IE
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner DCSB
    URD TCAI, TRD Seat covers, WeatherTech Liners, BHLM, DTRLM, 6000K HID Heads, 3000K HID Fogs, Black Valence, Custom license plate mount, LED interior lighting, Pioneer 4200DVD, 2 10" infinite subs behind rear seats, spidertrax spacers, 265/65/17 Dynapro ATM with powdercoated stock wheels
    That's a bummer! You should have checked them prior to closing them up. On the bright side, I'm jelly of your headlights! I wished i would have painted my bowls black now! oh well

17. Sep 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    Anything is possible :)

18. Sep 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders
    On the bright side! Ha I giggled

19. Sep 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    BlueJay

BlueJay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport 4x4 Speedway Blue
    Yellow-Wire Mod, Any-time backup camera, Bilstein 5100's @ .85, Rear TSB Springs, FX-R Projectors
    I checked them when they first came in and weren't like that but when I was gluing them all of a sudden they were >_<. I figured it was an adjustment or something and just continued since I was already in the process. Oh well I guess. And thanks about the lights :) I'm impressed on how well they came out too. It was such a debate on painting the bowl and/or shroud.

20. Sep 11, 2012 at 4:26 AM
    REDTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Click my build thread!
    Looks good bluejay!:cool:

Thread Status: