Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

Round 9 - HID Projector Retrofit Group Buy

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
ambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Burt
ambiguous's Tacoma Gallery
Round 9 - HID Projector Retrofit Group Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTRS View Post
We've hit 25. The coupon code expires at 5:30PM Wednesday 8/29 [EST] no exceptions.

Thanks again guys!

the coupon is live: R9TacomaWorld25

25% off:

FX-R Stage III/IV
Mini H1 Stage III
Mini D2S Stage III
Lexus RX-AFS Stage III/IV

Gogogogogo!

Got a reply from Andrew @ The Retrofit Source and round 9 is a go. Link to 4runner forum thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...comaworld.html

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php

Here's the basic if we want to get this round 8 going.

-Stage III OR Stage IV complete kits
-no CBI's/SVS discount
-25 orders = 25% off
-ships when 25 orders are completed
-discount code will be posted once 4runner and tacomaworld forum has listed 25 people committing to buy

info posted by buzzardsgottaeat
A lot of people get the mini (H1 or D2S) because they're easiest to install

FX-Rs are better quality but require free hand cutting of your light housing and a slightly more difficult aiming/securing process.

Blazers are for fogs, you have to cut/rig it up custom, no plug n play or bake n reseal there.

H4 headlights
H10 fogs (H11 for 2012s) are the sizes you need and the harness will be the H4/9003 iirc

H1 has been deemed a little brighter while D2S more even output. Most go with the H1 simply because its brighter but don't consider other factors. Matt and the guys at TRS mostly favor the D2S and I also like to point out that the larger shrouds fill our headlights better than the mini H1 and there is a greater selection.

3000k is yellowish and good for fogs for its ability to cut through adverse weather

4300k is like sunlight or stock color headlights and has the highest lumen count (brightest) of the available options

5000k will be whiter and is the highest TRS recommends.
6000k is also very white with a tiny bit more blue

Any higher temp is stupid because you lose light output and fatigue your eyes and others.

I always say 4300k is the way to go but can see how white/5000k has an appeal

The upside to a projector retrofit vs cheap hid bulbs in your stock light housing is mainly that it is higher quality and has a clean cut off line.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but that should be a good starting point for anyone who wants to start researching these.

please add your name to the most recent list.
1.ambiguous - Morimoto Mini (D2S) STAGE III KIT

Keep in mind it doesn't really matter what kit you get, right now we just need the members that are committing to buy, once we complete the 25 TRS will give us the coupon code and we can use that 25% coupon code for any of the stage III or stage IV kits.

Picture below is omac5's FX-R retrofit. (let me know if you want picture taken down)

Old 08-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
PMs = Not good for TRS Questions
AndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewTRS's Tacoma Gallery
Confirmed. Ready to rock when we hit 25.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Question My name is Ryan, and I'm a lighting newb.

Subscribed.

I need to learn more as I know nothing about lighting.

The group buy is for the Bi-Xenon FX-R, Lexus RX-AFS, or the Morimoto mini kits?

I'm lost.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Subscribed.

I need to learn more as I know nothing about lighting.

The group buy is for the Bi-Xenon FX-R, Lexus RX-AFS, or the Morimoto mini kits?

I'm lost.
Group buy is for any complete stage 3 or better kit from what I've gathered in past. The ones you listed should all be included in the group buy although I have not seen a retrofit with the Lexus projectors yet. The more popular options are the FX-R and Morimoto mini kits.

The Morimoto kit will be easier to install, but the light pattern won't be as nice as the FX-R kit (it will still be pretty damn good though).

There is a little bit of a debate over which is better between the Morimoto Mini H1 vs. D2S kit. The H1 kit is supposedly brighter but the D2S kit has more even light across the width of the beam.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Group buy is for any complete stage 3 or better kit from what I've gathered in past. The ones you listed should all be included in the group buy although I have not seen a retrofit with the Lexus projectors yet. The more popular options are the FX-R and Morimoto mini kits.

The Morimoto kit will be easier to install, but the light pattern won't be as nice as the FX-R kit (it will still be pretty damn good though).

There is a little bit of a debate over which is better between the Morimoto Mini H1 vs. D2S kit. The H1 kit is supposedly brighter but the D2S kit has more even light across the width of the beam.
Got it, thanks.

The person I'm having do the actual retrofit recommends the Morimoto mini H1 35w 5000k.

Very white, but not blue at all, correct?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Got it, thanks.

The person I'm having do the actual retrofit recommends the Morimoto mini H1 35w 5000k.

Very white, but not blue at all, correct?
Yeah, that's pretty accurate. I've got the 5K in my motorcycle and that's a fair assessment of their color, very white. 6K will put you into the more bluish range.

The H1's seem to create more of a hot spot across the cutoff so you end up with a brighter section of light. The D2S seem to more evenly spread the light across the beam pattern. People swear by either one so it comes down to personal preference. Check out HIDplanet or google D2S vs H1 and you'll find some good pictures showing the difference.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Yeah, that's pretty accurate. I've got the 5K in my motorcycle and that's a fair assessment of their color, very white. 6K will put you into the more bluish range.

The H1's seem to create more of a hot spot across the cutoff so you end up with a brighter section of light. The D2S seem to more evenly spread the light across the beam pattern. People swear by either one so it comes down to personal preference. Check out HIDplanet or google D2S vs H1 and you'll find some good pictures showing the difference.
Cool. Thank you.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
slingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Matt
slingshot5r's Tacoma Gallery
pm sent
Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
MySilverTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMySilverTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMySilverTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMySilverTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMySilverTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMySilverTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMySilverTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMySilverTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMySilverTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMySilverTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMySilverTaco13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MySilverTaco13's Tacoma Gallery
fx-r all the way best quality although the minis are almost as good as the fx-r
Old 08-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySilverTaco13 View Post
fx-r all the way best quality although the minis are almost as good as the fx-r
FX-R's are the best quality that's readily available and relatively easy to install. Not even close to the best all around when you start looking at some of the other projectors. The others take a lot more work to install though and can be hard to find (and pricey when you do find them).
Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
slingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Matt
slingshot5r's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help ambiguous!
Interested in the BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (D2S) 5,000K
Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
Wat?

I'm assuming I should order the H1 relay kit. Right?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you doing the retrofit?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
jblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjblaze805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT United States Marine Corps
jblaze805's Tacoma Gallery
please add your name to the most recent list.
1.ambiguous - Morimoto Mini (D2S) STAGE III KIT
Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
oh nada... jerez doing your retro??
Si guey. Dafaq did you know that? lol

You stalking me?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #20
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Smart man Anthony is...lol

Naw I didn't tell him just asked him and he put 2 and 2 together

Products Discussed in this Thread