Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

Round 11 - Bi-Xenon Retrofit Group Buy

Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #381
WYOTAC is a jewel in the roughWYOTAC is a jewel in the roughWYOTAC is a jewel in the rough

Name: Joel
WYOTAC's Tacoma Gallery
the D2S... I didn't think about the bulb until after I took them out. Really don't want to have to go take my headlights out again to try swapping bulbs in the projectors.. haha. I also feel like the only way to rotate the driver's side projector any more would require filing a bit on the alignment washer tabs... or possibly adding a washer below the top fender tab to raise the housing a bit.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #382
custom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to all

Army: 5/19 SFG(A)
custom90gt's Tacoma Gallery
Well I just finished finals so I figured I'd finally put my D2S setup in. Everything went fine and it was much more simple than my FXR retrofit in my old subaru.

My problem is the light output is less than desirable. It is worse than stock that's for sure. Anyone have any hints for me? I just redid my grounds (although I figured a bad ground just wouldn't ignite), and they are fine. They also look pretty blue for being a 5k setup.

Should I just get some OEM phillips bulbs?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #383
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by custom90gt View Post
Well I just finished finals so I figured I'd finally put my D2S setup in. Everything went fine and it was much more simple than my FXR retrofit in my old subaru.

My problem is the light output is less than desirable. It is worse than stock that's for sure. Anyone have any hints for me? I just redid my grounds (although I figured a bad ground just wouldn't ignite), and they are fine. They also look pretty blue for being a 5k setup.

Should I just get some OEM phillips bulbs?
You might want to reseat the bulbs to get better light. The Morimoto 5K bulbs are better than stock, but nothing special. To get the best output you'd probably want to get some Phillips or Osram bulbs. They will definitely help out quite a bit. The 5K will color change as they break in so the initial color isn't the color they will stay.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #384
custom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to all

Reseat the bulbs how? I was less than impressed with the fit of the bulbs in the projectors...
Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #385
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by custom90gt View Post
Reseat the bulbs how? I was less than impressed with the fit of the bulbs in the projectors...
I upgraded to the XB35 bulbs for my wife's H1 retro's and what a huge difference it made. Maybe upgrade your bulbs.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #386
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
^^ yup, it has to be your bulbs. there's no way it's a lot worse than stock halogens. I got the D2S kit with 6000K. and nope it's not overkill. it throws a pure white-ish light
Old 12-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #387

Alright, Maybe TRS will replace my bulbs? Sucks that I already threw all of the packaging away.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #388
WYOTAC is a jewel in the roughWYOTAC is a jewel in the roughWYOTAC is a jewel in the rough

WYOTAC's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got these installed and I've got an issue. There appears to be smoke inside my headlight housings more so in one than the other... you can see it waving around in the beam. It's not thick smoke but it definitely appears to be smoke. I was just out driving around with the vent caps off to rid the lens of some minor condensation when after about an hour or so of running I noticed the smoke. What could be causing this?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #389
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
You sure it's not the heat of the projectors burning off condensation inside the housings?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #390

WYOTAC's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know... I guess it could be. Can water vapors look exactly like smoke? It's been really humid (80-95%) for the longest time so I just need to get some dry air in there. AND this is not wyoming cold air humidity... I'm out in California. Just figured I'd add that haha.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #391
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Well I would think if there was enough condensation for it to vaporize, you'd see it on the inside of the lense. Who knows, I just doubt it's actually smoke. I mean I guess it COULD be smoke, but if it was you'd have something majorly melted or burned by now I'd think. The humidity could have a lot to do with it. I put a bead of silicone around mine after sealing them up and have not had an issue, but it's been extremely dry here.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #392

WYOTAC's Tacoma Gallery
true... didn't notice anything catastrophically melting or burning. thankfully! I have no doubts about how well they are sealed as I used a ton of the butyl and also silicone afterwards. I guess it's just when I heat up all that trapped humid air it vaporizes and fogs the lens a bit (~25%) and when it cools it the fog dissipates nearly all the way.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #393
Phoenix13 is on a distinguished road
Name: Raul
Phoenix13's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Had them installed last weekend, awesome output but still need to work on the alignment.
Attached Thumbnails
Round 11 - Bi-Xenon Retrofit Group Buy-table-004.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #394

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good
Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #395
fallon is on a distinguished road
fallon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix13 View Post
Had them installed last weekend, awesome output but still need to work on the alignment.
I'm in the same boat, probably a little fine tuning left to do. 2nd guessing going with Osram 66240 SVS 4200K's instead of a 5000k bulb. Definitely not unhappy with the light output of what I got though. Realistically I notice it not being a pure white when adjusting the lights or aimed at my garage door, but not at all while driving.

May get some better photos later

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ded-cab-5.html
Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #396
ambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Burt
ambiguous's Tacoma Gallery
Give the bulbs some time. They will color shift to more of a bluish hue. They look pretty yellow right when you get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallon View Post
I'm in the same boat, probably a little fine tuning left to do. 2nd guessing going with Osram 66240 SVS 4200K's instead of a 5000k bulb. Definitely not unhappy with the light output of what I got though. Realistically I notice it not being a pure white when adjusting the lights or aimed at my garage door, but not at all while driving.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
Looks good
Thanks, in my opinion the retrofit gives the Tacomas a whole new look that is awesome.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #398
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallon View Post

The lights came out real good, I like how you blended them with the color of your truck.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #399
fallon is on a distinguished road
fallon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix13 View Post
The lights came out real good, I like how you blended them with the color of your truck.
If by "blended" you mean slowly apparently converting everything that's not metalic grey body paint over to Duplicolor low gloss black high temp engine paint, ya.... Wheels, most of the BLHM. I left the bowl chrome, but it looks like a black chrome due to it reflecting all the low gloss black paint around it. It gives it some depth & contrast, which would have probably been lacking just doing everything low gloss black.

Probably going to do the grill emblem dark red here soon to match the emblem on the wheels. Might do the chrome letters on the doors red or low gloss black at some point.