Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

35 gal fuel tank group buy

Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #41
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
I think this tank is awsome but i wouldnt want that much weight on one side of the truck. so i think if i ever did something like this i would put a tank on the other side aswell in order to even the weight out.
An extra 15 gallons is only ~130 lbs more. If you've got the cash for this, you probably can spring for the upgraded suspension that makes that negligible.

And since it replaces the stock system, it's much simpler solution - a secondary tank adds a lot of other moving parts that provide opportunity for failure.

There is no requirement to keep the tank full at all times. When you're using all that capacity, you'll have plenty of other gear to balance it out. Plus, you don't need to have to full all the time when not otherwise loaded.

Point is - it's possible to overstate the effects of having the fuel tank aligned to one side.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #42
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
What material is the tank made of?

Aluminum, stainless steel?

**Edit** I just read the link.... it's aluminum.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #43
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
An extra 15 gallons is only ~130 lbs more. If you've got the cash for this, you probably can spring for the upgraded suspension that makes that negligible.

And since it replaces the stock system, it's much simpler solution - a secondary tank adds a lot of other moving parts that provide opportunity for failure.

There is no requirement to keep the tank full at all times. When you're using all that capacity, you'll have plenty of other gear to balance it out. Plus, you don't need to have to full all the time when not otherwise loaded.

Point is - it's possible to overstate the effects of having the fuel tank aligned to one side.
Of course, one big tank becomes a single point of failure.

Frankly, I'd rather have an a second tank with it's own fuel pump on the opposite side with a simple, manual valve system to perform the changeover. No need to transfer fuel, it's a largely redundant fuel system (that's good, btw), and with better weight distribution. Just a guess, but an existing, plastic fuel tank could be found in a salvage yard and mounted under the bed for less than the cost of a Megatank.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #44
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Honestly, that's a bad design if I do say so...

First off, it'll interfear with most under armor.
Second, you'd need to make a hell of an armor piece to protect it from puncture on an expo rig.
Third, seems like it'd be in the way of any decent travel on the rear suspension as well?
Fourth... mad taco lean, can be compensated for... but this could be fixed by using the pass side as well for a tank design...
Fifth... dual tanks with switch is better for expo as you have less failure points... and costs about the same or less.
Sixth... seems like air pockets with that much routing would be an issue.
Seventh... I'd be VERY concerned with how close the y-pipe is getting to that thing and the heat it'll get exposed to there. Any vapor leaks.... .....

Still, props for the concept, but no thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #45
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Found this for you guys, you could put some nice bumpers on it and a roof top tent and would be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
35 gal fuel tank group buy-g-usn-110405-gasoline-tanker-truck-730p.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #46
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Found this for you guys, you could put some nice bumpers on it and a roof top tent and would be good to go.
8WD would be pretty good for an expo rig.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #47
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
So with the added weight of the tank and higher fuel capacity you would be adding around 210lbs with full tank
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #48
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post

Second, you'd need to make a hell of an armor piece to protect it from puncture on an expo rig.
Third, seems like it'd be in the way of any decent travel on the rear suspension as well?
Fourth... mad taco lean, can be compensated for... but this could be fixed by using the pass side as well for a tank design...
Fifth... dual tanks with switch is better for expo as you have less failure points... and costs about the same or less.
Seventh... I'd be VERY concerned with how close the y-pipe is getting to that thing and the heat it'll get exposed to there. Any vapor leaks.... .....

I would be more concerned with the square edges. There is a reason the original tank isn't squared off like that. Likely to have more fatigue failures.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #49
Senior MoFo'ing Member
07SpeedwaySport will become famous soon enough
07SpeedwaySport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
But you need an extra fuel pump to pump the gas from the big tank to the little one...too much work.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #50
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Second, you'd need to make a hell of an armor piece to protect it from puncture on an expo rig. 1st and 2nd remedied with a skid plate they can create in house
Third, seems like it'd be in the way of any decent travel on the rear suspension as well?not in the way of rear or front travel. Hangs no lower than anything else
Fourth... mad taco lean, can be compensated for... but this could be fixed by using the pass side as well for a tank design...pretty hard to cross the driveline with a fuel tank, driver noted 1/2" of lean, easily fixed by adjusting coilovers
Fifth... dual tanks with switch is better for expo as you have less failure points... and costs about the same or less. how does adding a secondary tank, extra lines, extra pump, extra gauges mean less failure points?
Sixth... seems like air pockets with that much routing would be an issue.tank fills up exactly as it should, no sloshing to speak of
being that it was done at an exhaust shop I think they took care of this. Not sure though.

Check out the actual article for this thing, it's flipping sweet and answers most (as I pointed out in bold) of your questions

Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #51
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Its just a gas tank its not carrying nuclear waste....your way over thinking this....props to the OP I don't think a lot of people here understand the whole expo theme and hate on the product that was custom built...
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #52
DUDE MAN BRO
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant future

Air Force: A.G.E.
Name: Hot Carl!!!
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Yeeeaaa..... a lot of expeditioners have their spare tire removed from the factory location which opens up a perfect place for a secondary fuel cell thats tucked up out of the way and wouldn't be hard to install. Much more practical than spending $2k on a tank then spending another large chunk on a custom skid to cover it. Thats a lot of F-in money.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #53

Ben, an auxiliary fuel system is not a bad thing. Designed as I mentioned above, it amounts to an entirely separate, redundant fuel system that'd be fully capable of replacing the primary system. Redundancy is a desireable goal in this type of application, not a long list of additional points of failure. Designed as I described, the primary fuel pump, tank, and hoses could all be destroyed or out of service due to contamination, and the vehicle would be able to continue normal operations by switching to the second tank.

One Megatank is a weakness. I don't begrudge the folks that prefer that approach, but I don't agree with their decision.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
Its just a gas tank its not carrying nuclear waste....your way over thinking this....props to the OP I don't think a lot of people here understand the whole expo theme and hate on the product that was custom built...
I've explained why I wouldn't use this system and it has nothing to do with nuclear waste, money, hate, or a lack of understanding.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #55
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I've explained why I wouldn't use this system and it has nothing to do with nuclear waste, money, hate, or a lack of understanding.
Ummmm....ok??
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #56
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Quite the contrary, my rig is being built toward expo. I just think this particular design, is not good. That's all.

Also as for failure, dual tank gives you two points of failure for puncture, that's what I meant. In the middle of BFE... that's some nice reassurance to have a secondary tank unaffected should something happen.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #57

Quote:
Ummmm....ok??
I quoted your post and responded directly to it. What is it you don't understand?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #58
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I'm wondering if there will be problems keeping the pickup submerged. The stock tank has a low spot so that gas will generally stay at the pickup if you are inclined.

That tank looks very long and flat bottomed, like on an incline all the gas shifts to 1 end or the other?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #59
Special Edition Member

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I quoted your post and responded directly to it. What is it you don't understand?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #60

Quote:
Quite the contrary, my rig is being built toward expo. I just think this particular design, is not good. That's all.

Also as for failure, dual tank gives you two points of failure for puncture, that's what I meant. In the middle of BFE... that's some nice reassurance to have a secondary tank unaffected should something happen.
For further illustration, I've been on a backpacking trip and had a 3L Camelbak bladder fail. I didn't want to hike several miles back to the Colorado River, and I didn't have to, because I had three 1L Platypus bottles of water stored in my pack. If I'd only had one big container of water, that would've been a long, dry hike to the campsite.