Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

THE RETROFIT SOURCE FX-R / Mini GROUP BUY (only need 10) ROUND 3

Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #22
AggiePilot12 has a spectacular aura aboutAggiePilot12 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
AggiePilot12's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd.. If this is still around in Mid Feb, I'm in. (rims/tires/leafs this weekend..$$$ haha)

Would you like me to put my name down anyway and back out if I have to?
-OR-
Would you like me to wait until Mid Feb when I can buy, and THEN add my name to the list?

Thank you for organizing this, ambiguous!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #23
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
1.ChamYota(Cam)BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (H1) XB35 4300K,Mini Gatling gun,H4/9003 Relay

2.Ornithology (Aaron): Bi-Xenon FX-R 3.0 Stage III Kit (2.5" LHD), Morimoto 3Five bulb (D2S) and ballast: 5000K, E-55R shroud, 9007 Relay, Resealing glue.

3. CdnKid - Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1), Morimoto 3Five (35W), H1 XB35 6000K , Halos: No, Projectors: LHD, Glue: Yes, mini Gatling gun, H4/9003

4. dually - Morimoto Mini Stage III (H1), 3Five 35w, 3fFive 5000k, YES CCFLs, lhd, YES GLUE, Gatling Gun (not mini), H11

Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
ornithology is on a distinguished road

ornithology's Tacoma Gallery
Haha...funny guy.

It may be to the OP's best interest to just PM him so as not to clutter the original group buy thread with questions. Lots of good DIY articles available on here as well. But to answer your question, google sylvania product catalogue and they will tell you what type of bulb goes behind the dash. Then you can go to pep boys or eBay and buy the needed bulb and install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostoam311 View Post
Nice! and thanks for choosing a Blacked out option cuz that's exactly what I would want to do with my truck! My headlight casings are already blacked out on the inside... Can yours be painted black with (I'm guessing) High Temp Black Spray Paint...??!
So, which light kit am I gonna need??!
I'm used to a more Silver bulb rather than Blue and a few people on here say they like the 4,800k (is that right?) bulb cuz it looks cleaner and more white than blue...
Do you have a set with the 'Halo's'??! if so, how much more?

and Also, my speedometer gauge cluster lights are out so I can't see how fast I'm going at night... Do you sell LED's for the dash??! One side went out and the other went out 2 weeks later... Looking to do maybe an Amber (red) set... just throwin it out there...

it seems when I neglect my truck for a few months, it lets me know...

again, thanks for the help! sorry for all the questions, I'm just one of those people who likes to know what I'm getting into before I plunge off the deep end... I usually end up drowning or screwing something up...
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #25
Tacoma level 27
Slesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud of

Name: Kyle
Slesse's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's high time to buck up and do this mod! Although, I have a few questions... rather than PM'ing you I'm asking them here to help bump the thread and get some more interest.

Questions
1. what's the difference between 3Five and 5Five Ballasts? Do most people need the standard kit or the long cord kit?
2. when I pick the bulbs do they have to match the ballasts? I'm assuming they do.
3. As for the lens, do you have photos of 2.5" or 3" lenses? What is more common for the Tacoma
4. Do you have pics of all the different shrouds on the Tacoma? is Apollo the most common?
5. How do I know what relay I need?
6. Whats the difference between the FX-R III, Mini H1 III, and Mini D2S III?

I know the FX-R is supposedly better and also more difficult to install. what else?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #26
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Almost all the questions can be answered here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/trs_tech.php
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #27
ambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Burt
ambiguous's Tacoma Gallery
1.ChamYota(Cam)BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (H1) XB35 4300K,Mini Gatling gun,H4/9003 Relay

2.Ornithology (Aaron): Bi-Xenon FX-R 3.0 Stage III Kit (2.5" LHD), Morimoto 3Five bulb (D2S) and ballast: 5000K, E-55R shroud, 9007 Relay, Resealing glue.

3. CdnKid - Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1), Morimoto 3Five (35W), H1 XB35 6000K , Halos: No, Projectors: LHD, Glue: Yes, mini Gatling gun, H4/9003

4. dually - Morimoto Mini Stage III (H1), 3Five 35w, 3fFive 5000k, YES CCFLs, lhd, YES GLUE, Gatling Gun (not mini), H11

5. DLee -Morimoto Mini Stage III (D2S), Morimoto (35W) 5000k D2S, no halo, LHD, GLUE: YES, SHROUDS: Apollo 2.0 (Full Circular), H4/9003 Relay

5 more!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #28
ambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Answers in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slesse View Post
I think it's high time to buck up and do this mod! Although, I have a few questions... rather than PM'ing you I'm asking them here to help bump the thread and get some more interest.

Questions
1. what's the difference between 3Five and 5Five Ballasts? 35W versus 55W ballasts. Higher wattage = brighter but also means more heat and less reliability. I personally think 35W is plenty. That's what OEM manufactures use. Do most people need the standard kit or the long cord kit? This depends on your ballasts placement. It is not necessary on the Tacoma but if you want to it won't hurt.
2. when I pick the bulbs do they have to match the ballasts? I'm assuming they do. No they do not need to match.
3. As for the lens, do you have photos of 2.5" or 3" lenses? What is more common for the Tacoma Go 3 if you don't want the chrome ring shown. Otherwise 2.5".
4. Do you have pics of all the different shrouds on the Tacoma? is Apollo the most common? Nope sorry - look around the forum. My favorites on the Tacoma are the Apollo, Apollo 2.0, Orbit, Panamera
5. How do I know what relay I need? same as your headlight bulb (H4/9003 is most cases)
Read up on TRS
I know the FX-R is supposedly better and also more difficult to install. what else? FXR = wider, brighter, harder to install, requires cutting of the headlight bowl
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #29
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostoam311 View Post
$270?!! am I reading the right one??!
HID's on eBay are $59... what makes these more expensive??! I see that we get 25% off... that makes it a little better, but still a hefty price tag for me right now...

Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #31
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
^

Which projectors did you opt for and any output night pics?
D2S, 3Five ballast, upgraded to the Philip's burner (which is one of the 4300k the OEM's use).

Cutoff and how it looks on the road shining on the back of another car....

Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #32
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
looks pretty dang good, im opting for the H1's with the upgraded XB35 4300k bulbs. Hopefully it works out well
Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #33

H1 has a bit more of a "hot spot" in the center of the pattern.
Some prefer it, as they feel it sends more light down the road.
I prefer a more even illumination.

Careful on the H1 though... they are known for not lining up horizontally.

Make sure you look through the lens and sight the edge of the cutoff shield and rotate the projector to make it horizontal and match up with the horizontal facets in the headlight's reflector.
The mounting ring will likely need some trimming to get enough rotation.

Then test mounted on the truck before sealing them up.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #34
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone wants QUALITY, bright headlights, I'd jump on this. I love my minis! Id go with the FX-R's if I had the money but my minis are the brightest lights on the road still
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #35
ornithology is on a distinguished road

ornithology's Tacoma Gallery
Bump it!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 AM   #36
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Are you selling the blazer kit? If so, do you have a link to the kit?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #37
Tacoma level 27
Slesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud of

Name: Kyle
Slesse's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the answers ambiguous. Some follow up questions

2. when I pick the bulbs do they have to match the ballasts? I'm assuming they do. No they do not need to match. So, whats the difference between bulb types? I get the colour thing, but whats the difference between the 3five, 5five type bulbs, Osram and Phillips?
3. As for the lens, do you have photos of 2.5" or 3" lenses? What is more common for the Tacoma Go 3 if you don't want the chrome ring shown. Otherwise 2.5". What chrome ring are you talking about? What do most people get?
Read up on TRS
I know the FX-R is supposedly better and also more difficult to install. what else? FXR = wider, brighter, harder to install, requires cutting of the headlight bowl So the FX-R has a better beam patter, but requires some cutting of the bowl and the Mini's don't require any cutting?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by knine00 View Post
Are you selling the blazer kit? If so, do you have a link to the kit?
Sorry no blazer kits.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #39

Answers in red again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slesse View Post
Thanks for the answers ambiguous. Some follow up questions

2. So, whats the difference between bulb types? I get the colour thing, but whats the difference between the 3five, 5five type bulbs, Osram and Phillips?

People run 35W bulbs using 55W ballasts all the time. I myself don't recommend going to 55W but you'll get different suggestions even from TRS.

3Five is 35W series of ballasts/bulbs from TRS
5Five is their 55W series ballasts
Osram and Philips bulbs are higher end made from serious reputable OEM manufacturers. These bulbs are used in Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc.

They offer more consistent color and some say they're brighter. I personally have run SVS bulbs, CBIs, and 85122+ - all great and I like them better than TRS made bulbs. But relatively speaking, you will be happy with TRS bulbs if you are coming from halogen...

3. Go 3 if you don't want the chrome ring shown. Otherwise 2.5". What chrome ring are you talking about? What do most people get?

Imagine all the shrouds are the same size... so if you had a larger diameter shroud that is made for 3" lens, putting that on a lens that is 2.5" in diameter will leave a gap. The gap you see will be a small chrome trim ring.

6. FXR = wider, brighter, harder to install, requires cutting of the headlight bowl So the FX-R has a better beam patter, but requires some cutting of the bowl and the Mini's don't require any cutting?

Mini do not require cutting. FXR does.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #40

5. DLee -Morimoto Mini Stage III (D2S), Morimoto (35W) 5000k D2S, no halo, LHD, GLUE: YES, SHROUDS: Apollo 2.0 (Full Circular), H4/9003 Relay

6. meidaros - Morimoto Mini Stage III (D2S), Morimoto (35W) 4300k D2S, no halo, LHD, no glue, SHROUDS: Gatling Gun, H4/9003 Relay

4 more.