1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CLOSED - The Retrofit Source GB

Discussion in 'Automotive Group Buys' started by TRSAndrew, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Aug 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    Gear Head

Gear Head Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    fj60 front, fj80 rear, full hydro, 5.29's, welded, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 duals, 39.5's, inboarded 63's
    What's the current count?

2. Aug 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    Probably will be jumping in on this soon. Like Jacob said, what's the current count up to?

3. Aug 7, 2013 at 5:19 AM
    Benwilj

Benwilj Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Charlotte
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    FabFours Bumpers, Skyjacker lift
    Andrew told me yesterday the count was only at 2. :(
    Come on guys, i want my chit

4. Aug 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    fenderpicks

fenderpicks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh dam only at 2!?!?!?
    I plan on doing this sucker on my own... bought some OEM lights to play with

OP and guys on TW w/ experience on retrofitting.
    Can you suggest me a kit to start off with? Like what shroud , bulbs , package i should get?
    Because i know NOTHING about retrofitting.... this would be the very first time i attempt at this.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  5. Aug 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    Fx-r requires some fab work. Mini doesnt. Shrouds are aesthetic...whatever looks good to you ::)

Btw what vehicle? If tacoma ull need h4 harness

6. Aug 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    fenderpicks

fenderpicks Well-Known Member

Member:
    It will be for a 2013 Tacoma.

7. Aug 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    Fuse

Fuse Geologist

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 6MT
    Just finished my retrofit; I was in on the last batch.

Super pleased with the product and the resources on TRS. This was my first retrofit, and they made it easy:D

IMG_00000795_hdr_zpsbd33ddc8_b592abe97076c60835b8482ecac42e73bab590d2.jpg

IMG_00000778_hdr_zpsf425a570_8f221d6533cd7a643958d51af1ddca2bb9233c52.jpg

8. Aug 11, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1997 LX Xtracab 4x4 V6 3.4L
    Eh, see my Build Thread sig link. Too many mods to list.
    FYI- Depending on your definition of "fab work" and the vehicle, that's not entirely accurate. I had to do a bunch of cutting and grinding to get my minis to fit properly in the housings.

9. Aug 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    Bsheriff11

Bsheriff11 Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Casual.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Virginia livin', South Carolina raised
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited T4R
    Click My Sig Homie
    It's for a 2013 tacoma, those mini's are plug and play mostly, have to trim a little notch off the lock ring for the projector for alignment purposes and that's it.

10. Aug 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Andrew, or anyone else who may know, I got 2 questions about the mini h1 kit. I've been running it for 2 years now and just wondering if these have been changed or resolved ......

First one: there was a problem with the high beam flange sticking when coming back down. I found a solution that someone posted about filing it down so it wouldn't catch and I did that and it worked. They haven't stuck since. Has this been addressed in the newest version? Is this still a problem?

Second one: the projector is held in by simply tightening down a lock ring with a rubber bushing on the other side of the shroud. It's very easy to install but the projector moves a lot while driving. Random vibrations make it shake and bumps in the road make it shake. I've taken my headlights apart 5-6 times to try and figure out a solution but every time I fail to make it any better. Motor vibrations and hard bumps seem to effect them shaking the most. Is there a solution to make it more stable? I can't be the only person that has noticed this. Is this a common problem and if so, has it been addressed or changed in the latest model? Are the mini kits the only ones with this problem because of how they are mounted?

The light output of these kits are so superior to stock that I would never go back but for me, this kit has been such a headache to get perfect and I'm still not sure it can even be perfect. I am super detailed and very small things make me really mad and these two things have made me wanna smash these lights on the ground numerous times. It's not a very clean or fast process taking these lights apart and breaking down the projector every time I've done this either.

I plan to get a FRS soon and want to retro it with the mini h1 kit but if I have these same problems then I'm just gonna give up and return to stock. Any input would be helpful. Maybe these questions have been directly answered but I haven't seen them. Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  11. Aug 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    Bsheriff11

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited T4R
    Click My Sig Homie
    1st: I don't know, I got a set 3 months ago and had to do the same thing.
    2nd: get it tighter, put some epoxy around the ring as that cures most of the shake. That is with all the PnP kits. You don't have to take apart the lights for this. Also, with the D2S and H1, the biggest problem is the bulb stability, I have found putting a slightly larger rubber washer around the bulb, it also helps.
    3rd: hope that helped some.

12. Aug 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Do you have a pic of where you put the epoxy at? And where did you get the washer from? Home Depot or a similar store?

The quality of these kits are top notch. I would be lying if I said I was perfectly happy with them though

13. Aug 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    Bsheriff11

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited T4R
    Click My Sig Homie
    Agreed there are some minor flaws, I actually took the rubber washers from the stock parking lights from our trucks and it fit really snug. As far as the epoxy, I put it around where the locking ring goes around the projector and the reflector bowl and it holds it more stable, still not perfectly stable but a lot better by about 90%.

14. Aug 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    Hmmmmmmm, def gonna try this then. Could be an easy, semi fix

15. Aug 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    Smudgey

Smudgey Trying to save the manuals

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma RC Manual
    Window Tint, Plastidipped grille, TonnoPro folding metal tonneau cover, marble shift knob, black frame headlights, fog lights with custom switch, OE cruise control
    Wish I had the time and money for this. Got some non-projector aftermarket headlights for the black housing (too scared to bake open stockers, plus they are yellowed from 7 years of use) and they are already filling up with water after a week and a half of use.

16. Aug 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    Yikes!! No bueno

17. Aug 15, 2013 at 4:27 AM
    TRSAndrew

TRSAndrew [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    22 T4R Sport 6V7
    We're at 4 currently. C'mon!

18. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    geogecko

geogecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Sub'd. Doing research. Hope to be back soon.

19. Aug 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    If this batch will not fill up till after Monday I'll probably hop in.

20. Aug 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    geogecko

geogecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Ordered. +1.

What's the feeling on housings? My 2005's are shot, so going to use new ones. I would like to get stock OEM after reading some posts on the plastic, but man, $320 is the lowest I've found online for a pair. Any cheaper place to get Toyota ones? TYC are about $110 for a pair, and Depo has them for about $125 a pair.

Products Discussed in

To Top