Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

Tepui RTT Group Buy one time only!!!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #281
Polecat is on a distinguished road
Army: Retired
Polecat's Tacoma Gallery
Does any one know if the ladder is supposed to in between the mounts or on the outside? Mine would not fit in between the mounts.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #282
vtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to behold

Army:
vtmactech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
Does any one know if the ladder is supposed to in between the mounts or on the outside? Mine would not fit in between the mounts.
Same, I put mine on the outside of the brackets, only way it would fit.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #283
vtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to behold

Army:
vtmactech's Tacoma Gallery
Still unsure exactly how the ladder is supposed to work. Mounted the tent high (but as low as the Xsporter will allow) and with the cross bars off center so I could mount the Thule Kayak Stacker on the side and the tent would still be centered.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #284
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmactech View Post
Still unsure exactly how the ladder is supposed to work. Mounted the tent high (but as low as the Xsporter will allow) and with the cross bars off center so I could mount the Thule Kayak Stacker on the side and the tent would still be centered.

I fully extend it while pulling it off my roof. Then once unfolded retract the ladder one by one from the bottom up till its out. So the extra rungs are at the top.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #285
Tin Ninja
ZKuhl is one of the sharper tools in the shedZKuhl is one of the sharper tools in the shedZKuhl is one of the sharper tools in the shedZKuhl is one of the sharper tools in the shedZKuhl is one of the sharper tools in the shedZKuhl is one of the sharper tools in the shedZKuhl is one of the sharper tools in the shedZKuhl is one of the sharper tools in the shedZKuhl is one of the sharper tools in the shedZKuhl is one of the sharper tools in the shedZKuhl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: zane
ZKuhl's Tacoma Gallery
got tepui? thanks jlee bad a

Old 08-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #286
gtmotor has a spectacular aura aboutgtmotor has a spectacular aura about
gtmotor's Tacoma Gallery

Thanks to Avid Off Road for making the custom rack... I wanted to keep it as close to the roof line as possible while still mounting the Rotopax containers. It came out better than expected
Old 08-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #287
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
^
With that mount is there any chance the truck box sides will bend or bow if you hit some rough terrain or bumps because of the weight on it?

I love the way it came out though!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #288
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmotor View Post

Thanks to Avid Off Road for making the custom rack... I wanted to keep it as close to the roof line as possible while still mounting the Rotopax containers. It came out better than expected

i suggest getting those bottom plates to wider on to your bed rails.... or youll have a bent bed rail in not time... I found out the hard way just like many of us have around this site as well
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #289
gtmotor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiveOn View Post
^
With that mount is there any chance the truck box sides will bend or bow if you hit some rough terrain or bumps because of the weight on it?

I love the way it came out though!
I highly doubt it. There are lots of other bed racks out there of a similar design. I've taken the truck to 90 mph and did about 6 hours of off-roading (desert running) with the rack on and it's been fine. I removed the rack assembly yesterday and it looks just like it did stock. Even the top of the bed rails isn't scratched which I found surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
i suggest getting those bottom plates to wider on to your bed rails.... or youll have a bent bed rail in not time... I found out the hard way just like many of us have around this site as well
Can you please clarify a little more? I'm not sure what you mean. Pictures would be even better.

The weight is supported by the contact with the top of the bed from the front to the back. It's being kept from shifting/blowing off by 6 bolts at the four corners and one on each side in the middle.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #290
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I highly doubt it. There are lots of other bed racks out there of a similar design. I've taken the truck to 90 mph and did about 6 hours of off-roading (desert running) with the rack on and it's been fine. I removed the rack assembly yesterday and it looks just like it did stock. Even the top of the bed rails isn't scratched which I found surprising.

Can you please clarify a little more? I'm not sure what you mean. Pictures would be even better.

The weight is supported by the contact with the top of the bed from the front to the back. It's being kept from shifting/blowing off by 6 bolts at the four corners and one on each side in the middle.
The 2nd Gen beds have been known to bow out with weight on them. The rack is on the small size so you might be OK but start adding gas cans, water, high lift, tent & other things and you might have a problem down the road. I have see the bed sides separate from the weight.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #291
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

the top of your bed will bend its plastic..... you need to cover the top 100% or face the facts that your plastic will bend and than crack....... LOTS of us have went through this, PSU's build shows it somwhere

I'd go take some pictures of my bent top of the bed, but i dont own my truck anymore

I would just make sure you make that footing wider or be ready to have a cracked top of your bed
Old 08-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #292
gtmotor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
The 2nd Gen beds have been known to bow out with weight on them. The rack is on the small size so you might be OK but start adding gas cans, water, high lift, tent & other things and you might have a problem down the road. I have see the bed sides separate from the weight.
Wow!! I never knew this... total weight is 185 lbs with the cans empty. I remove the rack assembly when it's not being used. I have it hoisted up to the ceiling in my garage right now. Do you know if they bow out from fatigue or will just do it pop one day when too much weight is on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
the top of your bed will bend its plastic..... you need to cover the top 100% or face the facts that your plastic will bend and than crack....... LOTS of us have went through this, PSU's build shows it somwhere

I'd go take some pictures of my bent top of the bed, but i dont own my truck anymore

I would just make sure you make that footing wider or be ready to have a cracked top of your bed
That sucks. I also didn't know this! Thanks for the information guys. I'll keep a close eye on it I also will mount my high lift jack somewhere else now...
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #293
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow!! I never knew this... total weight is 185 lbs with the cans empty. I remove the rack assembly when it's not being used. I have it hoisted up to the ceiling in my garage right now. Do you know if they bow out from fatigue or will just do it pop one day when too much weight is on it?

That sucks. I also didn't know this! Thanks for the information guys. I'll keep a close eye on it I also will mount my high lift jack somewhere else now...

I think most that have bowed out with fully loaded just keep a close eye on it really if you hauling ass in the dirt that's when it's going to happen if it does.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #294
sander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
sander1036's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

There is a write up somewhere that Boyd (XXXX) made. He injects the plastic top with a type of hardening silicone to prevent the denting of the cheesy plastic bed caps
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #295
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I think most that have bowed out with fully loaded just keep a close eye on it really if you hauling ass in the dirt that's when it's going to happen if it does.
The rack I'm getting should ease some of that stress with the drop brackets... Correct?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #296
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
The rack I'm getting should ease some of that stress with the drop brackets... Correct?
The rack your getting mounts to the Frame at the bed bolts you are fine.

Products Discussed in this Thread