Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

VLEDs LED switchback / super bright DTRL / bulbs TRITON GROUPBUY

Old 04-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #241
Naholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud of

Name: Jordan
Naholo808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF ROWD View Post
Each pigtail wire bundle should come with a resistor dimming white wire...

Unless you have done a BHLM, you will be blinding oncoming vehicles, especially with 5K or 6K LED's...you don't wanna' be that Dude....you'll know if you are when you get flashed by every other vehicle...If you have blacked out your reflector bowls , you can run without dimming because you will lose alittle output....
It came with one white wire for dimming headlights; however, I don't know which side to put it on. If I put it on one ballast will that dim both?

Unless VLEDs forgot to add another white wire for both sides?

I'll post up pictures on sometime next week.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #242
...It Hurts when I Pee...
AWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: P.J.-SpecOPs
Name: Doc
AWF ROWD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naholo808 View Post
It came with one white wire for dimming headlights; however, I don't know which side to put it on. If I put it on one ballast will that dim both?

Unless VLEDs forgot to add another white wire for both sides?

I'll post up pictures on sometime next week.
Each pigtail bundle will come with a white resistor wire to tap into Driver and passenger headlight positive wire to dim 50% when HL are on..you mighta' got the wrong part ..call VLED..tech support is great..tell em you are from the TW group buy...
Old 04-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #243
Naholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud of

Name: Jordan
Naholo808's Tacoma Gallery
Just got off the phone with customer service, and I explained that I only received one dimming wire. The rep informed me that I needed two wires and apologized for the missing piece. VLEDs will send me another wire -- no charge!

I'm impressed with VLEDs customer service -- Very professional, helpful and really cares of their customers. Definitely will order other lights in the future (signals? Sure!).
Old 04-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #246
JoseyWells is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
JoseyWells's Tacoma Gallery
installed my switchbacks last night and my truck is looking sweet. ill try to post some night shots in a couple of days
Old 04-23-2014, 01:49 AM   #248

no just left them off. havent driven at night yet tho. so not sure how bright i will blind people
Old 04-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #249
AWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It's bright isn't it? Still need to hook up my dim wire. Did you install yours?
I have the 5K's, and before I dimmed them I was getting flashed by oncoming vehicles constantly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWells View Post
no just left them off. havent driven at night yet tho. so not sure how bright i will blind people
..first off it's unsafe, and second it's just rude...don't be that guy...the dimmer wire was part of the kit for a reason..
Old 04-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #251

Quote:
I still need to do mines -- I'm running 6k.

Do you have pics on how you did your dimming wires. I've read ttaps aren't good? Thanks
I ran TTaps for a while with Zero problems, installed correctly they are very effective....I stripped my HL wire back and soldered my connection with my new setup...don't be scared to try...you are not going to hurt anything..its a simple wire connection.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #252

Quote:
..first off it's unsafe, and second it's just rude...don't be that guy...the dimmer wire was part of the kit for a reason..
I guess im gonna be THAT guy for like a couple weeks jk ....talked to Burt and he said my retrofit should be done in 3 weeks
Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #253
Goose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud of
Goose8651's Tacoma Gallery
Any chance of another group buy? Would love to buy a set of switchbacks!
Old 06-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #254
snow is awesome
VE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob II
VE7OSR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the 5K's, and before I dimmed them I was getting flashed by oncoming vehicles constantly...

Your DTRL circuit is off when your headlights are on. They are likely flashing you due to your headlights. With the diffuser lens of the signal light, there is no way the light is intense enough for folks to be flashing you driving by in the daylight/twilight, and nighttime you should have your headlights on. (unless they are drunk folks walking by your truck)
Old 06-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE7OSR View Post
Your DTRL circuit is off when your headlights are on. They are likely flashing you due to your headlights. With the diffuser lens of the signal light, there is no way the light is intense enough for folks to be flashing you driving by in the daylight/twilight, and nighttime you should have your headlights on. (unless they are drunk folks walking by your truck)
Uhhh don't know what truck you're talking about...DTRL's are on when HL is on.....and obviously you've never seen the VLED 5000 kelvin LEDs, they are intense, and the light output is exacerbated by the reflective bowl....you sure you're not drunk...?

Headlight on...DTRL on...(Pic taken in full sunlight with filter)

Old 06-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #256
snow is awesome
VE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

VE7OSR's Tacoma Gallery
Must be an update on 2012 and up models, or a US model feature. My 2005 Cdn model DTRL is off when the Headlight is on, and I know up to at least 2009 that is how it works. Yes, have the VLEDs V3 Switchback, Type 2, 5000K. not drunk...yet.

Checked on it on Toyota User Manual site. DTRL definitely not designed to be on when headlights are on.

Might want to check with VLEDs on this. I know my 1st gen Triton V3 do not do this, but I also did not connect the dimming wire to my headlights either, though I understand some of you with Version2 are getting the DTRL to come on when the headlight is on as well without the dimming wire connected.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #257
"The Professional"
DaBigDogg is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Police Dispatcher
Name: J
DaBigDogg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VE7OSR View Post
Must be an update on 2012 and up models, or a US model feature. My 2005 Cdn model DTRL is off when the Headlight is on, and I know up to at least 2009 that is how it works. Yes, have the VLEDs V3 Switchback, Type 2, 5000K. not drunk...yet.

Checked on it on Toyota User Manual site. DTRL definitely not designed to be on when headlights are on.

Might want to check with VLEDs on this. I know my 1st gen Triton V3 do not do this, but I also did not connect the dimming wire to my headlights either, though I understand some of you with Version2 are getting the DTRL to come on when the headlight is on as well without the dimming wire connected.
Because of Canadian law requiring DRL's, I'm assuming that's the key difference in necessitating the dimmer wire. I know with my 2014, I have all off, DRL, Parking Lights Only, and Headlights On. In DRL and Parking Lights, the DRL bulbs are full intensity, with the headlights on, the bulbs dim significantly, fully illuminating again only when the turn signal is activated.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #258
snow is awesome

VE7OSR's Tacoma Gallery
Our Cdn Law requires DTRL in the daytime,(we don't get a switch to turn them off) but not at night (ie when the headlights are on.)

If you don't hook up the dimming wire at all, and with the headlight switch in the On position, are the DRLs on? (They shouldn't be according to the Toyota Owner's manual, either US or Canada)
If they are both on at the same time, then with stock bulbs do they function the same way?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #259
"The Professional"
DaBigDogg is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Police Dispatcher
Name: J
DaBigDogg's Tacoma Gallery
Basically from what I can tell, my 4157 bulbs (I don't have the VLED's yet, waiting for the right time to buy but understanding the theory) are dual filament bulbs. When the headlights are off, both filaments are on (high brightness). When the headlights come on, only the low brightness filament is active. When a turn signal is activated the high filament comes on to indicate the signal (low/high) versus when everything (parking and DRL's) is off in which case it's off/high. Without the dimmer wire to signal the control box to illuminate only to 50% power, there LED's will come on full power. What I'm saying is the difference between Canadian market and US market trucks is, with Canadian trucks, when you turn on your headlights, your DRL's turn off completely. With US trucks, the DRL's remain in a lower power state.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #260
snow is awesome

VE7OSR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigDogg View Post
Basically from what I can tell, my 4157 bulbs (I don't have the VLED's yet, waiting for the right time to buy but understanding the theory) are dual filament bulbs. When the headlights are off, both filaments are on (high brightness). When the headlights come on, only the low brightness filament is active. When a turn signal is activated the high filament comes on to indicate the signal (low/high) versus when everything (parking and DRL's) is off in which case it's off/high. Without the dimmer wire to signal the control box to illuminate only to 50% power, there LED's will come on full power. What I'm saying is the difference between Canadian market and US market trucks is, with Canadian trucks, when you turn on your headlights, your DRL's turn off completely. With US trucks, the DRL's remain in a lower power state.
which is odd, because the manual specifically states that DTRLs are off when the the headlights are on. Nevertheless, your experience explains it, and there is no problem with the VLEDs then, they are operating as expected.

Perhaps they consider the one low output filament of the 4157 as a marker light, (and the hi filament is used as a signal/dtrl) which would be a change from the 2005-2011 models where only the weak outside corner light is used as a marker light up front.

Could test this by running the truck, turn on the DRL, then set the parking brake. DRL should go off (2005-2011 it will). If it does go off, then turn the headlight switch to Park, you should see the low filament, come on as a marker light then. That would confirm it.