Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Group Buys

Notices

Tom Woods Driveshafts

Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Dare_n is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AIR NATIONAL GUARD
Dare_n's Tacoma Gallery
Tom Woods Driveshafts

Did anyone do a group buy for Tom Woods Driveshafts?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
I would be interested.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
dwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura about
Name: Kevin
dwntwnall4u's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also interested.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
Dare_n is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AIR NATIONAL GUARD
Dare_n's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone want to start the group buy?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
tbh... his drive shafts are expensive and not as great as you think.
If I had to do it again, I would just go local, so that any vibrations that do come from the drive shaft, can get fixed local.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
You could probably have someone re-tube yours to eliminate the carrier bearing joint for less than what one of his drive-shafts cost.

Marc M
Old 07-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
tbh... his drive shafts are expensive and not as great as you think.
If I had to do it again, I would just go local, so that any vibrations that do come from the drive shaft, can get fixed local.
I totally agree! Do it locally so if any issue come up they can help you resolve it!

IMHO, TW shafts aren't all that great. The quality just wasn't what I expected. Not any where near the hype.

I took a look at a local shops work and the quality was far better. I'm taking my stock shaft to them to see if they can check the "phase" of the universals.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
I totally agree! Do it locally so if any issue come up they can help you resolve it!

IMHO, TW shafts aren't all that great. The quality just wasn't what I expected. Not any where near the hype.

I took a look at a local shops work and the quality was far better. I'm taking my stock shaft to them to see if they can check the "phase" of the universals.
New sig pic? Lookin good!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Actually.. a couple of shaft places have said it's better to have a two piece due to the length of the shaft.
^ This. When I upgraded I went with a High Angle Driveline 2-piece setup with double cardigan joint and superduty carrier bearing.

The only downside is that the new carrier bearing mounting holes won't match the stock one so a new mount needs to be fabricated. I knew that going in so it was no surprise.

Crappy cell pic:

My truck's going in for another round of fabrication in a week and half. I'll know in about a month how it works and if there are any vibrations.
Attached Thumbnails
Tom Woods Driveshafts-0529091151.jpg  
Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
^ This. When I upgraded I went with a High Angle Driveline 2-piece setup with double cardigan joint and superduty carrier bearing.

The only downside is that the new carrier bearing mounting holes won't match the stock one so a new mount needs to be fabricated. I knew that going in so it was no surprise.

Crappy cell pic:

My truck's going in for another round of fabrication in a week and half. I'll know in about a month how it works and if there are any vibrations.
Keep us updated! I may be ordering one of those.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #15
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
when i did my crawler i got a tom woods rear shaft made and then did a high angle driveline front shaft...

if i ever order another shaft it will be from high angle again, jesse was super easy to deal with and sent a good looking driveshaft!

however in tom woods defense the rear shaft has worked just fine with no issues...
Old 08-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #17
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Best bet for pricing would be to call each vendor and ask them directly. I know what I paid but I never publish prices. Some vendors cut deals, some have to adjust prices to account for supplier increases, etc.

You'll be amazed at how much you can sometimes save if you pick up the phone and talk to someone directly.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #18
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post

Crappy cell pic:

mjp2

What was the outcome of this set up? Did you get it installed? Did it remove your vibrations? Could you give an analysis on going this route and would you recommend this drive line?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #19

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azTRD View Post
mjp2

What was the outcome of this set up? Did you get it installed? Did it remove your vibrations? Could you give an analysis on going this route and would you recommend this drive line?

Thanks!
Came out awesome. You'll need to cut/grind off the stock carrier bearing mount and have a new one fabricated and welded in place, but that's the only modification needed. I moved mine lower so the driveshaft clears my driveshaft skidplate with the long-travel rear suspension fully drooped.

The setup works great and I have no driveline vibrations. I still have the gear noise from the rear axle but that's something I'll live with until I swap out to a wide Ford 9".

If you can afford it, I highly recommend taking this route.