LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

guns for protection

View Poll Results: What do you own your firearm for?
Protection. 412 33.33%
Hunting. 47 3.80%
Both of the above. 700 56.63%
Don't own any. 77 6.23%
Voters: 1236. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #381
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I use them for protection and just being able to own them for the reasons stated in the constitution... Plus if I could I would love to own a mini gun for protection
Old 09-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #382
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
I use them for protection and just being able to own them for the reasons stated in the constitution... Plus if I could I would love to own a mini gun for protection
You can if you're rich.

Any semi auto can be made full auto, some are super easy. I've heard that a .22 full auto shoots faster than an uzi and it's WAY cheaper to shoot....well it was a little while back anyway. Of course that kind of fun potentially comes at the cost of federal pound you in the ass prison.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #383
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
just buy a bumpski stock for a 10/22 then you can bumpfire a 22lr then no worries about prison lol
Old 10-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #384
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
have a few mostly for target shooting but I guess home protection too.

Used my 9mm once for home defense once but didn't draw it. Kid (like 18 or so) just saw it and problem solved.

Heard a pounding at my door at around 2am. By the time I got out of bed, no one at the door. Put 9mm partially in jacket pocket but kept hold of grip to draw if needed then went out for a walk-around of the property. Saw someone ~50 yards out walking away in the street. By the time I got back around to the front door, he was on the porch knocking again. He asked if I had "anything good" for him. Then his eyes went real big he nearly fell trying to get off the porch while apologizing for bothering me and saying something about a "gat". Once off the porch he tried to run but stumbled and dropped his joint. Fell over looking for it, found it, apologized some more, then ran like hell. So I went in and called the cops. Deputy told us the previous owner of the house was a suspected small time dealer. Never saw that kid again.

Wife said she was freakin out peeping through the blinds at it while I was just trying not to laugh at the kid. She thought he was rushing me when he stumbled off the steps because she couldn't see his face to know he was just stoned out of his mind and about the pi$$ himself.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #385
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Keep one loaded behind our door, and a few under our beds, we have a home protection shotgun we just keep in the house/dont hunt with it.. We mainly use our guns for hunting though!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #386
MiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shedMiniBike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MiniBike's Tacoma Gallery
Hunted a little as a teenager, but Publix is too convenient now. Now just the range for practice and we keep a couple handy when we travel.

Used once for protection about 35 years ago. Was making a late night bank deposit when some punk stepped up, put something sharp against my side and asked for the bag (Saturday night's restaurant receipts). All I could think about was how hard we had worked for that money! Anyway, I gave it to him and when he turned to run, I turned and took out his kneecap - from behind. He dropped, I sat down and held the gun on him. There was a cop patrolling nearby, who heard the shot and came right over. It wasn't like the movies, I was still mad!

This was back when cops knew who the good guys and bad guys were, so once he assessed the situation (the punk was still screaming and still holding my deposit bag), he came over, smiled and told me I should have aimed higher.

I only wanted to stop the thief, not kill him, but I didn't fully know the ways of the world. The cop explained that the thief could sue me for damages. I was nervous for a few years, but nothing ever happened. The thief pled guilty so I never had to testify. I was lucky.

I think I saw him a few years later. A guy was walking my way with a severe limp and when he got close, he got this wierd look of fear in his eyes and went way around me. I dunno - could have been him?

It heightened my awareness of surroundings and nobody can sneak up on me anymore! That was my mistake.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #387
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBike View Post
Hunted a little as a teenager, but Publix is too convenient now. Now just the range for practice and we keep a couple handy when we travel.

Used once for protection about 35 years ago. Was making a late night bank deposit when some punk stepped up, put something sharp against my side and asked for the bag (Saturday night's restaurant receipts). All I could think about was how hard we had worked for that money! Anyway, I gave it to him and when he turned to run, I turned and took out his kneecap - from behind. He dropped, I sat down and held the gun on him. There was a cop patrolling nearby, who heard the shot and came right over. It wasn't like the movies, I was still mad!

This was back when cops knew who the good guys and bad guys were, so once he assessed the situation (the punk was still screaming and still holding my deposit bag), he came over, smiled and told me I should have aimed higher.

I only wanted to stop the thief, not kill him, but I didn't fully know the ways of the world. The cop explained that the thief could sue me for damages. I was nervous for a few years, but nothing ever happened. The thief pled guilty so I never had to testify. I was lucky.

I think I saw him a few years later. A guy was walking my way with a severe limp and when he got close, he got this wierd look of fear in his eyes and went way around me. I dunno - could have been him?

It heightened my awareness of surroundings and nobody can sneak up on me anymore! That was my mistake.
glad you made it ok ok from that situation.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #388
jlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlove1974 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jlove1974's Tacoma Gallery
just finished taking my CCW course (with my dad) although I've owned guns for protection forever. My wife took it about a year ago, and I decided to ask permission the state for permission to protect myself :/

I hunt and target shoot, but carrying for protection is a big responsibility. It should be the last resort, and only to protect you or someone else from dying. Everything else (protection of property for instance) shouldn't require taking a human life.

That being said, I like the story that Minibike just told us. In the middle east, he would have lost a hand instead of a shot to the knee.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #389
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Protection and hunting.. We have a "shortened" shotgun behind the door.. And my dad caries a few hang-guns in and out of his truck.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #390
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
Target shooting. And I love target shooting.

As to the poll: My grandfather was a cop his entire working life. He thought owning a firearm for "protection" without proper training - and I'm not talking about range training, I'm talking "go do a few years on the force" training - was akin to suicide. So my firearms stay in a safe. I'm under no illusions that I can outgun a criminal. They have experience, after all. I do not.

As for hunting, I am totally down but require someone to show me how to properly dress/butcher the unlucky critter I bag, as I've never done it before. And I should probably get a chest freezer.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #391
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
As to the poll: My grandfather was a cop his entire working life. He thought owning a firearm for "protection" without proper training - and I'm not talking about range training, I'm talking "go do a few years on the force" training - was akin to suicide. So my firearms stay in a safe. I'm under no illusions that I can outgun a criminal. They have experience, after all. I do not.
I have to disagree with the bolded sections.

No disrespect to law enforcement, but civilians that train regularly with FOF drills and spend multiple days a month at the range are every bit as effective defending themselves with firearms. There is evidence to suggest they may be better trained, because you rarely hear about this stuff with civilian DGUs:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/25...olice-gunfire/

As for defensive gun use, most criminals don't train with their weapons at all. They're relying on the intimidation factor of the weapon's presence to eliminate resistance altogether. Most stories of personal defense involve the assailant making the first illegal move, followed by finding out the intended victim is armed and prepared to settle the situation, followed by the prospective mugger/assaulter/robber/rapist/etc. getting the fuck out of dodge either on foot or on a stretcher.

In the event you do encounter a weapon wielding psycho intent on doing you harm that is at a higher skill level, would you rather go out fighting or begging?
Old 10-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #392
TeknaBuzz is on a distinguished road
Name: Joey
TeknaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a proud supporter of the right to bear arms, the constitution, and the second amendment. If you so choose to not be firearm owner so be it, that's your roll of the dice.

But private citizen's who own guns with the ever so slight hint of owning them to use in self defense should seek out as much real life oriented self defense firearms training and practice as a afford. And no a CHL class is not sufficient to what I'm referring to. With a little bit of ammo and money for formal training in the past year I've likely received more advanced pistol training than your average street patrol police officer will in a 10 year period.

I seen one of the above posters make the claim that the average criminal has little experience/practice with firearms and while this may be true for street thug gang banger it ignores the existence of other criminal elements that are far more sophisticated and well armed. It's just these other criminal elements that I refer to make every attempt not to be on the evening news to draw unwanted attention to their organizations.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #393
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknaBuzz View Post
I seen one of the above posters make the claim that the average criminal has little experience/practice with firearms and while this may be true for street thug gang banger it ignores the existence of other criminal elements that are far more sophisticated and well armed. It's just these other criminal elements that I refer to make every attempt not to be on the evening news to draw unwanted attention to their organizations.
Even the clueless thug is at an advantage when he's attacking you. He came prepared and with full intent on using a gun with no real concern over collateral damage or the law. The victim will likely have to draw in defense to an already pointing criminal. That said, many are afraid to fire anyway and often carry an empty gun.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #394
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
Even the clueless thug is at an advantage when he's attacking you. He came prepared and with full intent on using a gun with no real concern over collateral damage or the law. The victim will likely have to draw in defense to an already pointing criminal. That said, many are afraid to fire anyway and often carry an empty gun.
Very few incidents involve a criminal actively looking to cause harm. However, it is possible to end up in that situation.

DGU is highly circumstantial. If they're pressing a Beretta into your abdomen, go ahead and give them your wallet. If they're 15 feet away and you have a dumpster one step to your left, that's a tougher situation to figure out.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #396
Yotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connal
Yotabilly's Tacoma Gallery
I carry almost always, unless I'm in a government building or a school which is rare. I've never needed it and Probably never will, but I like knowing it's there if I have to protect me or a loved one. I also compete in IDPA ,GSSF and USPSA.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #397
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknaBuzz View Post
I'm a proud supporter of the right to bear arms, the constitution, and the second amendment. If you so choose to not be firearm owner so be it, that's your roll of the dice.

But private citizen's who own guns with the ever so slight hint of owning them to use in self defense should seek out as much real life oriented self defense firearms training and practice as a afford. And no a CHL class is not sufficient to what I'm referring to. With a little bit of ammo and money for formal training in the past year I've likely received more advanced pistol training than your average street patrol police officer will in a 10 year period.

Generally speaking, the "other criminal elements" aren't after grandma's purse, either.

Not everyone who owns a firearm is capable of affording training. Many can barely afford ammunition.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #398
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
i dont hunt...my guns are solely for protection and recreation
Ditto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swwacoma View Post
Also, if yall dont mind getting personal, how many of you have had to pull your gun in a protection situation? What were the circumstances?
About 80 miles off shore.
On anchor, another boat was "drifting" towards us.
Occupants appeared to be drunk, kept saying "We'll clear you by a mile"... while they were drifting directly toward us.

They sobered up VERY quickly and GTF out when the 1911 came out.
Quote:
I'm not sure if I'd have the balls in a home invasion to do anything other then hide under the covers and piss my pants like an 8 year old.
Then you should not introduce a gun into the situation.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #399
showpare is on a distinguished road

showpare's Tacoma Gallery
Was a maintenance man in some apartments in 1984;was in my early 20's and had a personal protection permit to carry. Saw a peeping tom. I kept my distance and asked him to leave. He said he was checking on his girlfriend. I told him he should try knocking on the door next time and to split. I never showed or drew my pistol. He left.

Pretty much carry all the time. Shoot a lot at the range. Don't hunt anymore.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #400
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
That said, many are afraid to fire anyway and often carry an empty gun.
Or an empty chamber, assuming they will have time to fix the problem.