1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

guns for protection

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Swwacoma, Jul 2, 2010.

?

What do you own your firearm for?

1. Protection.

412 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Hunting.

47 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Both of the above.

700 vote(s)
    56.6%
  4. Don't own any.

77 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Oct 14, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    jlove1974

jlove1974 Active Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4WD 5SPD
    redline racing oils
    just finished taking my CCW course (with my dad) although I've owned guns for protection forever. My wife took it about a year ago, and I decided to ask permission the state for permission to protect myself :/

I hunt and target shoot, but carrying for protection is a big responsibility. It should be the last resort, and only to protect you or someone else from dying. Everything else (protection of property for instance) shouldn't require taking a human life.

That being said, I like the story that Minibike just told us. In the middle east, he would have lost a hand instead of a shot to the knee.

2. Oct 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    2 inch lift. LED fog lights (Cali fab) Alpine head unit. Kicker door speakers. Skar subwoofer.
    Protection and hunting.. We have a "shortened" shotgun behind the door.. :D And my dad caries a few hang-guns in and out of his truck.

3. Oct 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Target shooting. And I love target shooting.

As to the poll: My grandfather was a cop his entire working life. He thought owning a firearm for "protection" without proper training - and I'm not talking about range training, I'm talking "go do a few years on the force" training - was akin to suicide. So my firearms stay in a safe. I'm under no illusions that I can outgun a criminal. They have experience, after all. I do not.

As for hunting, I am totally down but require someone to show me how to properly dress/butcher the unlucky critter I bag, as I've never done it before. And I should probably get a chest freezer.

4. Oct 20, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I have to disagree with the bolded sections.

No disrespect to law enforcement, but civilians that train regularly with FOF drills and spend multiple days a month at the range are every bit as effective defending themselves with firearms. There is evidence to suggest they may be better trained, because you rarely hear about this stuff with civilian DGUs:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/25/nypd-shooting-bystander-victims-hit-by-police-gunfire/

As for defensive gun use, most criminals don't train with their weapons at all. They're relying on the intimidation factor of the weapon's presence to eliminate resistance altogether. Most stories of personal defense involve the assailant making the first illegal move, followed by finding out the intended victim is armed and prepared to settle the situation, followed by the prospective mugger/assaulter/robber/rapist/etc. getting the fuck out of dodge either on foot or on a stretcher.

In the event you do encounter a weapon wielding psycho intent on doing you harm that is at a higher skill level, would you rather go out fighting or begging?

5. Oct 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    TeknaBuzz

TeknaBuzz Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    I'm a proud supporter of the right to bear arms, the constitution, and the second amendment. If you so choose to not be firearm owner so be it, that's your roll of the dice.

But private citizen's who own guns with the ever so slight hint of owning them to use in self defense should seek out as much real life oriented self defense firearms training and practice as a afford. And no a CHL class is not sufficient to what I'm referring to. With a little bit of ammo and money for formal training in the past year I've likely received more advanced pistol training than your average street patrol police officer will in a 10 year period.

I seen one of the above posters make the claim that the average criminal has little experience/practice with firearms and while this may be true for street thug gang banger it ignores the existence of other criminal elements that are far more sophisticated and well armed. It's just these other criminal elements that I refer to make every attempt not to be on the evening news to draw unwanted attention to their organizations.

6. Oct 22, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco. Sold. Now Taco-less
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    Even the clueless thug is at an advantage when he's attacking you. He came prepared and with full intent on using a gun with no real concern over collateral damage or the law. The victim will likely have to draw in defense to an already pointing criminal. That said, many are afraid to fire anyway and often carry an empty gun.

7. Oct 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Very few incidents involve a criminal actively looking to cause harm. However, it is possible to end up in that situation.

DGU is highly circumstantial. If they're pressing a Beretta into your abdomen, go ahead and give them your wallet. If they're 15 feet away and you have a dumpster one step to your left, that's a tougher situation to figure out.

8. Nov 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    Everybody listen to this guy, he knows about home defense, take notes.
    http://youtu.be/wIuk3G9Xixc
    Or just fired it thru the door if you're worried about who's outside.

9. Nov 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    I carry almost always, unless I'm in a government building or a school which is rare. I've never needed it and Probably never will, but I like knowing it's there if I have to protect me or a loved one. I also compete in IDPA ,GSSF and USPSA.

10. Nov 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Generally speaking, the "other criminal elements" aren't after grandma's purse, either.

Not everyone who owns a firearm is capable of affording training. Many can barely afford ammunition.

11. Nov 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ditto.
    About 80 miles off shore.
    On anchor, another boat was "drifting" towards us.
    Occupants appeared to be drunk, kept saying "We'll clear you by a mile"... while they were drifting directly toward us.

They sobered up VERY quickly and GTF out when the 1911 came out.
    Then you should not introduce a gun into the situation.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  12. Nov 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    showpare

showpare Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport, silver, bought used
    Stock mud flaps
    Was a maintenance man in some apartments in 1984;was in my early 20's and had a personal protection permit to carry. Saw a peeping tom. I kept my distance and asked him to leave. He said he was checking on his girlfriend. I told him he should try knocking on the door next time and to split. I never showed or drew my pistol. He left.

Pretty much carry all the time. Shoot a lot at the range. Don't hunt anymore.

13. Nov 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Or an empty chamber, assuming they will have time to fix the problem.

14. Nov 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco. Sold. Now Taco-less
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    What stupid advice! I would never tell a loved one to waste their only 2 rounds and nobody should randomly shoot that way anyway. It could scare them off, or just provide them with your position and show that you are scared, alone, and holding an empty gun. A 12ga. is NOT easier to shoot than an AR; many people feel it kicks like a mule where an AR kicks like a hamster. The shotgun has the advantage of a spread and more energy, the AR has good sights, mild recoil, accuracy and several rounds. The shotgun comes with the false sense of security that you can point it anywhere in the vicinity of a threat and it'll kill everything in sight with one shot. My GF doesn't like shooting my 12ga, especially with hot loads, but she does it and would use it if needed knowing it'll hurt less than whatever is coming at her. That said, the primary headboard/pocket weapons at home are .38s and 9mm. with the others available and ready to use. My .38s are easier to carry, the 9mm holds 16 lifesavers.

15. Nov 13, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Not to mention "warning shots" are a misdemeanor.
    Felony if the stray round/pellet hurts someone.

16. Jan 24, 2014 at 12:26 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    in georgia a "warning shot" could be a felony sine you arent justified in using force if you arent truly in fear

Products Discussed in

To Top