Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

shotgun chokes.......which one for slugs??

Old 06-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
shotgun chokes.......which one for slugs??

what exactly are the differences between an improved cylinder and a modified choke??? my mossberg 88 maverick 88 with field barrel(like the 500, but all black and synthetic stock) has the original modified choke, and i have shot slugs from it with zero problems. but some people are telling me that i shouldnt shoot slugs with a modified choke............i should use an improved cylinder. whats with the improved cylinder?? will slugs group better or have a bit more distance with the ic choke, or will it be ok to keep on using the modified?? keep in mind that i shoot buckshot too, and with the modified choke, even bird shot keeps a decent pattern a good ways out.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I was always told to use no choke with slugs. I think the "improved cylinder" chuck is good..........dam............why couldnt you ask about engines?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I was always told to use no choke with slugs. I think the "improved cylinder" chuck is good..........dam............why couldnt you ask about engines?
yeah......i couldnt come up with an engine question.

like i said, i havent had any problems with the modified choke and slugs, but i have heard different things from different people, so i aint too sure.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
gdc1072 is on a distinguished road

Army: 82nd Airborne Division
gdc1072's Tacoma Gallery
I own a Mossberg 500 and my advice would be to spend the money on a slug barrel. They are thicker to handle the extra lead from the slug and rifled to give it that nice spiral for a more acurate shot.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc1072 View Post
I own a Mossberg 500 and my advice would be to spend the money on a slug barrel. They are thicker to handle the extra lead from the slug and rifled to give it that nice spiral for a more acurate shot.
i had thought hard about that, but my only problem with that setup would be using buckshot, which i use regularly with slugs also. more or less, where i hunt is a few decent open spaces and densely wooded for the most part, which makes having slugs and buckshot very handy.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #6

bump...........because i posted this way early this morning.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok, I talked to a buddy of mine who is more familliar with shot guns. He said a cylinder bore is what you need for slugs. If you run a choke, you run the risk of splitting the end of your barrel. He said that Full and Modified chokes are a No no. Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ok, I talked to a buddy of mine who is more familliar with shot guns. He said a cylinder bore is what you need for slugs. If you run a choke, you run the risk of splitting the end of your barrel. He said that Full and Modified chokes are a No no. Hope this helps.
cool.......kinda what i was needing to know. it is odd though that of all the times i have shot a slug with the modified choke, nothing has ever went wrong. i know i wouldnt ever run a full choke though with the slug......that would definitely be a no no!!
Old 06-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
cool.......kinda what i was needing to know. it is odd though that of all the times i have shot a slug with the modified choke, nothing has ever went wrong. i know i wouldnt ever run a full choke though with the slug......that would definitely be a no no!!
My buddy said he has done the same thing, but its written someplace that you shouldnt shoot slugs thru a modified choke.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #10
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
With a sabot type slug you could probably use a mod. choke with no problem. On a conventional type slug I wouldn't go any tighter than a Imp. cyl. smooth bore choke. I understand that most rifled chokes are no tighter than imp.cyl..

My Benelli's don't even recommend steel shot in imp. mod. or full choke tubes.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post

My Benelli's don't even recommend steel shot in imp. mod. or full choke tubes.
mine says the same thing
Old 06-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if this was already covered... and I'm only partially knowledged in this area.

My husband and I shoot trap/skeet from time to time. We both have Berretta o/u shotguns. We have different chokes that you screw on the ends of the barrell. Each choke has a different outter diameter - which affects the distance/spread of the shot. A smaller diameter choke will allow the shot to go farther with a narrower spread. For close-up trap/skeet shots...you wanna use the widest choke for a wider spread but they don't go as far.

Depending on your skill level and what the shooting range is like.... will determine what chokes you run. I normally run with the widest choke in mine cuz I need ALL the help I can get when I'm shooting.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Not sure if this was already covered... and I'm only partially knowledged in this area.

My husband and I shoot trap/skeet from time to time. We both have Berretta o/u shotguns. We have different chokes that you screw on the ends of the barrell. Each choke has a different outter diameter - which affects the distance/spread of the shot. A smaller diameter choke will allow the shot to go farther with a narrower spread. For close-up trap/skeet shots...you wanna use the widest choke for a wider spread but they don't go as far.

Depending on your skill level and what the shooting range is like.... will determine what chokes you run. I normally run with the widest choke in mine cuz I need ALL the help I can get when I'm shooting.
My Beretta’s are the M1-S90's but same applies. As far a steel shot and slugs go. The reason you want to run the most open bore choke, as in cyl. or imp. cyl. is that the constriction of the choke insert can't take the abuse of trying to squeeze the singular 1.5 oz. piece of lead or the toughness of the steel shot down as it leaves the barrel. It might work for a while but would eventually fatigue and fail. You can use whatever bore choke for the lead shot, which I'm sure is what you and your husband use for trap. The reason being that the lead shot can easier be deformed to the chosen pattern desired by choke selection without damage.