Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Buying Your First Handgun

Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #41
zssc is on a distinguished road
Name: z
zssc's Tacoma Gallery
First one, Colt's Govenment Model Series 80 .45 ACP in stainless finish. Nothing fancy no custom combat upgrades or anything like that but man I love to shoot that pistol.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #42
Truckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
Truckn4life's Tacoma Gallery
so i found out that you can have too much oil in your gun. had a few jams most likely from over oiling. easy fix.

just got a Sig Sauer .380 this thing is very small but makes a great personal carry.

Ive been looking at the Springfield GI 1911. looks like a great deal!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #43
xjedifishx is on a distinguished road
Name: Trip
xjedifishx's Tacoma Gallery
Good material. Im about to buy my first handgun in a week or so and this will prove useful
Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #44
Seor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I'm buying my first firearm which would probably be an H&K USP 45.

I debated between that, S&W1911, SigP220, Para P14-45 and Glock 30.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #45
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
I'm buying my first firearm which would probably be an H&K USP 45.

I debated between that, S&W1911, SigP220, Para P14-45 and Glock 30.

Any thoughts?
Any of the mentioned guns would do fine, assuming you're not considering them for concealed carry. I just found the USP much bulkier than I wanted to deal with, and dislike double action triggers.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #46
Seor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No concealment here. Mostly going to use it for the range and home protection although the G30 is small enough for concealment.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #47
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery

want to pull the trigger (pun intended) on this sooooooo bad
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411539804
Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #49
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
You get what you pay for on a 1911...
yeah, i know. but i've heard really good things about the RIA 1911s
Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #51
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
So Im thinking about getting my first handgun as well. Home defense and range will be the use for it. Just wondering if there were any opinions on the steyr m9 and the beretta px4?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #52
billwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to behold
billwot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
ive heard that leaving ammo in a magazine for long periods of time can weaken the springs in the magazines...
That's a myth. I have magazines that I have left full loaded for 10 years or more, and they still perform reliably. I have a 30 rd 9mm mag that I have had for at least 15 years. I have emptied it at the range twice, but otherwise it has always had 3 rds stuffed in it.

bill
Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #53
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
For all you guys looking at .40 and .45 calibers for home defense and a "range gun", I implore you to seriously consider going with 9mm. You can use it at the range twice as long as the other calibers for the same price.

Remember guys. The best gun in the world is the one you can hit what you are aiming at. Other arguments aside... 9mm is cheap to shoot, which means you'll be more likely to practice with it, ergo you will hit your target with better consistency.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #54
Seor Member

I bought a Kimber Eclipse T2 and HK USP40. Both very good guns. No issues with both guns whatsoever. I believe Kimber is now using Colt magazines as well for those who had issues wit FTF. I still went with a Wilson and KimTac Pro though.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #55
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
My first gun is a S&W bodyguard 38 sp. Its a pretty simple 5-shot revolver wobith an integrated laser. i do a lot of night work for my job. Havent had to use it yet, but nobody likes to stare down that red dot.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #56
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewbacaTW View Post
For all you guys looking at .40 and .45 calibers for home defense and a "range gun", I implore you to seriously consider going with 9mm. You can use it at the range twice as long as the other calibers for the same price.

Remember guys. The best gun in the world is the one you can hit what you are aiming at. Other arguments aside... 9mm is cheap to shoot, which means you'll be more likely to practice with it, ergo you will hit your target with better consistency.
My freind shot one of three scum 10 shots, hit the one in the heart he took 2 minuts to blead out. No more 9mm for him .45ACP. Also funny thing a few years ago .380, 9mm were hard to find now lots of .380,.40 & some 9mm but .45 is sold out.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #57
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
My freind shot one of three scum 10 shots, hit the one in the heart he took 2 minuts to blead out. No more 9mm for him .45ACP. Also funny thing a few years ago .380, 9mm were hard to find now lots of .380,.40 & some 9mm but .45 is sold out.
You obviously missed my point entirely.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #58
Devious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: COL, USA (Ret.)
Name: Mark
Devious6's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen a lot of .45 ACP available in bulk from places like Cheaper Than Dirt lately - currently selling 250 rounds of 230 grain FMJ for $105. We have a police academy where I work and we've struggled with getting both 9mm and .45 ACP for the past few years but the supply is catching up now.

I agree, though, that you should find what suits you best both is feel and cost. If you can't afford the round to practice with it, you shouldn't be buying it to carry as a personal carry weapon. Having a weapon with you might make you feel more confident, but lack of practice can get you, or someone you value, killed.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #59
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
If one is just contemplating a house gun for a first gun for someone completely inexperienced, I'd strongly recommend a heavy-framed .38 special revolver with a four or six inch barrel.
I've shot competitive IPSC shooting for years and had all the tricked-out .45's, know all the jam-clearing techniques, etc.

A new shooter does not know these techniques and probably won't take the time to learn them.

I'VE NEVER SEEN A REVOLVER JAM. A misfire now and then due to a faulty round, wherein one just pulls the trigger again, but never a time consuming jam.

I'd also recommend the book: In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob. It reinforces the consideration "Do I really have what it takes to pull the trigger on another human being?" This is something you have to make up your mind about before arming yourself. A gun is a lousy club.

Whit
Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 AM   #60
tex41 will become famous soon enoughtex41 will become famous soon enough
Navy: PO2(SW/AW) Jack of all trades.
Name: Clint
tex41's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewbacaTW View Post

Thanks Sam Helped me make up my mind. I kinda like a 9mm anyways I'm use to it, and it just feels right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious6 View Post
I've seen a lot of .45 ACP available in bulk from places like Cheaper Than Dirt lately - currently selling 250 rounds of 230 grain FMJ for $105. We have a police academy where I work and we've struggled with getting both 9mm and .45 ACP for the past few years but the supply is catching up now.

I agree, though, that you should find what suits you best both is feel and cost. If you can't afford the round to practice with it, you shouldn't be buying it to carry as a personal carry weapon. Having a weapon with you might make you feel more confident, but lack of practice can get you, or someone you value, killed.
Good advice Mark, thanks for the seeds of wisdom Sir

Been looking at a handgun for awhile, and all this talk of 9mm vs .45 etc..... is frustrating. But I think I'll go with a 9mm, just because I know how to shoot it, it's comfortable, and it's cheap(er). Just gotta find one that fits in my hand juuust right Thanks for the help gentlemen, nice work!