Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Buying Your First Handgun

Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #101
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
My dad just got a 1911 and that thing is really heavy. He said he won't be carrying that one. I think that's more if his home defense handgun
Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #103
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
ok so im thinkin about buying my first handgun to take to the range and for protection. im thinking glock 17 or 19 gen 4. does anyone know where is the cheapest place to get one legally? bass pro sells them for 650 and cheaper than dirt is about 550 and was wondering if anywhere sells them cheaper? also how hard is it to get ammo for them? thanks in advanced!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #104
Broja OG and CEO
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mike
Location: Behind the windshield, watching the world pass on the right.
mipawlus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
also got a question when it comes to magazines and storage. Say for instance i have 2 magazines for a handgun. One is loaded with 13 rounds of ammo while the other one is empty. Do i have to switch out the ammo with the magazines every so often or can i leave one magazine always ready? ive heard that leaving ammo in a magazine for long periods of time can weaken the springs in the magazines...

i try to not leave them loaded and i will unload them if they are going into storage/safe. it's also equally important to disassemble and clean the magazines as it is to clean the gun. excessive GSR will build up and eventually lead to fouling and misfeeds/jams.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #105
Broja OG and CEO
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
ok so im thinkin about buying my first handgun to take to the range and for protection. im thinking glock 17 or 19 gen 4. does anyone know where is the cheapest place to get one legally? bass pro sells them for 650 and cheaper than dirt is about 550 and was wondering if anywhere sells them cheaper? also how hard is it to get ammo for them? thanks in advanced!
you couldn't just text me? DB.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #106
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipawlus View Post
you couldn't just text me? DB.
i sent to link to the houston thread and it was directed kinda towards you

also wasnt sure if you were fully up hahah
Old 01-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #107
Broja OG and CEO

Marines:
Quote:
i sent to link to the houston thread and it was directed kinda towards you

also wasnt sure if you were fully up hahah
i didn't go to sleep last night, but to be fair i can talk guns in my sleep.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #108
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dough boy
357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Carters country usually have good deals on glocks and other shit
Old 01-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #109
Running For Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357sig View Post
Carters country usually have good deals on glocks and other shit
is that a store or online?
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #110
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dough boy
357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSully72 View Post
My dad just got a 1911 and that thing is really heavy. He said he won't be carrying that one. I think that's more if his home defense handgun
I'd carry a 1911 if i had one. They are pretty slim compared. If you are anal about weight, like I have seen some people talk about grams! Lol I read somewhere a guy only loaded 5 round instead of 12 to keep it from not being so heavy lol
Old 01-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #112
Running For Mayor of TW

Quote:
I'd carry a 1911 if i had one. They are pretty slim compared. If you are anal about weight, like I have seen some people talk about grams! Lol I read somewhere a guy only loaded 5 round instead of 12 to keep it from not being so heavy lol
thats insane but speaking of weight, that was some what a concern. i originally had my eye on a taurus 24/7 G2 and it felt pretty perfect. nice amouth of weight not too big or small but then i was steered towards the glock which felt almost too light. then again both guns were empty so maybe loaded the taurus will be too heavy and the glock would be perfect?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #113
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
a 1911 is not a good carry option for your first.... if your serious about carrying .. the smaller the better.. smaller means more comfortable.. and that means your more inclined to actually take it with you.. I carry a pocket 9 in a wallet holster.. it goes everywhere with me.. no one knows.. and I forget its there its so comfortable. a 1911 is a big slab of metal.. that is not easy to conceal or carry.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #114
Now I understand everyone's shit's emotional.....
sarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shedsarsabious is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2 (SS/SW)
Name: Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
sarsabious's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats insane but speaking of weight, that was some what a concern. i originally had my eye on a taurus 24/7 G2 and it felt pretty perfect. nice amouth of weight not too big or small but then i was steered towards the glock which felt almost too light. then again both guns were empty so maybe loaded the taurus will be too heavy and the glock would be perfect?
Taurus is garbage. I've made the mistake of buying two and got rid both within 6 weeks. Steer clear of them if you want a gun that actually works. I would carry a pocket full of rocks before another Taurus.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:53 AM   #115
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My EDC is almost invariably a 1911, either in Commander or Officer's model. Just a question of what you get used to and use proficiently.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #116
Dangerdave is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Dangerdave's Tacoma Gallery
For the last 8 months I have carried an compact 1911 with absolutely no issues. Just buy a good holster and a good belt and youre fine. Hell I drove to Texas with it IWB and really didn't even know it was there.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #117
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
I am in the market for my first handgun. Purposes would be home defense and fun at the range. I do not like Glocks. I was at the shop yesterday and I looked at a M&P and it felt good in the hand but I thought the slide release was pretty tight and I doubt the wife would be able to use it. I like the Beretta storm and the Steyr M9. We both have pretty small hands. Gonna shop around a bit more. Anyone have any experience with those?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #118
sandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sandjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I am in the market for my first handgun. Purposes would be home defense and fun at the range. I do not like Glocks. I was at the shop yesterday and I looked at a M&P and it felt good in the hand but I thought the slide release was pretty tight and I doubt the wife would be able to use it. I like the Beretta storm and the Steyr M9. We both have pretty small hands. Gonna shop around a bit more. Anyone have any experience with those?

You shouldn't be using the slide lock to release the slide anyway. Pull back on the slide and let the slide go forward. You will round the slide lock over time by using it to release the slide. M&P's are great guns. I have a M&P 45 and M&P Shield 9mm.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #119
The Angry Taco
Tacotime99 is a name known to allTacotime99 is a name known to allTacotime99 is a name known to allTacotime99 is a name known to allTacotime99 is a name known to allTacotime99 is a name known to all
Tacotime99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjunkie View Post
You shouldn't be using the slide lock to release the slide anyway. Pull back on the slide and let the slide go forward. You will round the slide lock over time by using it to release the slide. M&P's are great guns. I have a M&P 45 and M&P Shield 9mm.
That's a bit of an assumption. HK's for instance specifically call it a slide release, whereas 1911's call them slide stops. Depending on the maker, the lever is designed for different purposes. I don't see how one could put all pistols in the same bucket (slide stop vs. slide release).

Don't think a Glock has a slide release because of the size. But my M&P's are used as both and often when reloading I don't need to hit the slide stop/release because the forceful insertion of the magazine is usually enough to release the slide from lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
You may want to revisit the M&P because it does have adjustable grips that could fit your hand. Also might check out the CZ line of pistols, those seem to be well done and I've noticed that folks with a little smaller hands seem to enjoy them. HK did just come out with the new VP9 and I believe it also has interchangeable grips. Personally I would stay away from the Storm, I've shot several of them and have two friends with them and it's a love hate relationship to be honest. However, if it fits your hands and you like shooting it, then no amount of internet, key board tier one commandoing should change your preference.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #120
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacotime99 View Post
Depending on the maker, the lever is designed for different purposes.
^this.

Springfield XD manual specifically states to use the slide release to chamber a round.

The M&P is very difficult to use the slide lock to chamber a round.

IMO however, it may be good habit to use the slingshot/power stroke method instead of using the slide lock/release to chamber a round. Most FTF or FTE requires racking the slide to clear a jam/double feed, and if you are used to the slingshot method to chamber a round, you will have the muscle memory of this action during a 'situation'.