Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22 as a plinker?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22 as a plinker?

Hey guys, I was looking for a gun that will be fun and cheap to shoot and I came across this "AR style" 22 by Smith & Wesson on the net. I even went to a local BIG 5 to get a look at it and hold it, it felt pretty good.

If anyone on here owns one can you give a bit of your impressions of the rifle?

Besides the full body being high strength polymer have you guys encountered any drawbacks in this fun little rifle?

Ive looked at the colt but this has stuff that the Colt doesnt and the price is lower.

Again its only for some fun and cheap shooting.

O and I found it on sites cheaper than what local gun stores had it priced at, how would I order it online and what is the process besides getting it shipped to a local shop, and would I just have to to my BG check at the shop that Ill be picking it up from?

Thanks for any input guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c1anh90dt0

Old 07-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks fun and 22's are damn near free!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
you forgot to add in price. Depending on how much there going is important. But it's a good plunker. Thought about getting one awhile back. They come in an AK and MP5.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05sctaco View Post
you forgot to add in price. Depending on how much there going is important. But it's a good plunker. Thought about getting one awhile back. They come in an AK and MP5.
At big 5 w/ BG check it will be 560 OTD, though Ive seen them as low as 430 online.

Rifle itself at big is 470
Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
mlcasey is on a distinguished road
mlcasey's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got one of these and its a fun little gun to shoot. It seems to be pretty accurate with the sights provided but a little scope or red dot would be nice. Its really easy to clean and maintain you just have to watch out for the ejection hook (idk the proper name for it) if you run a bore snake or something through the barrel. I have had some issues with failure to feeds using cheap bulk ammo but if use nicer ammo or solid point bulk that is no longer a problem. Over all its a lot of fun and still way cheaper to shoot then a real AR.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Victory is reserved...

thanks casey
Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
CO_Steve is on a distinguished road
CO_Steve's Tacoma Gallery
Does it have to look like an AR? For that kind of money you can buy a used 10/22 and get a match grade barrel, nice stock, and trigger improvement hardware to mod it into a real tack driver. .22s are fun, a lot more fun when you hit what you're aiming at.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
rob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob_s is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rob_s's Tacoma Gallery
I have one of the S&Ws and I've had a lot of problems from it. I hear from others that theirs run great though, and the few that have had problems work well after they sent them in. I just haven't had time to call and get my return authorization.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Ive had mine for about 4 months now. Must have put 2000 rounds through it. No problems other than a few fail to fire, but that was ammo. I love it. It feels solid and it's a blast to shoot. I put a Magpul stock, Hogue pistol grip, some rail covers and a cheap red dot site and it shoots all day. Lots of fun. I think I got mine for under $500 out the door. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, and you will have to have it shipped to an FFL if you buy it online. Only problem is finding one with 10 round mags and a shop that will ship to Cali. If you can do that, you are set. Figure on it costing between $50 to $100 to transfer it though. So unless you are saving a lot online, it may be easier to just buy it in your local shop.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
Victory is reserved...

thanks nrafan. I found an ffl but would i still have to have a background check if bought online?

Not that there is anything on me but that way I can compare complete pricing.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
'nother vote for a 10/22 here...the ultimate plinkster with an aftermarket parts selection that is unending for customization.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
hkbeliever will become famous soon enoughhkbeliever will become famous soon enough
hkbeliever's Tacoma Gallery
Another Huge vote for the ruger 10/22. If you really HAVE to have an AR copy for training then that is the only reason to buy that gun. I have heard about reliability problems and the price is too high for a "plinker".
Those of you who have a Bulter Creek magazne loader will know what I mean when I say that this item alone makes the 10/22 the way to go for plinking. http://www.butler-creek.com/products..._hot_lips.html

This thing allows you to just drop a box of 50 rounds into the hopper and just crank those rounds right into the magazine. When on extended plinking sessions (more than 500 rounds) your thumb will thank you. I also highly recommend thier Hot-lips and Steel-lips magazines. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through mine and only had one fail. I think however it was one I dropped and cracked (large cliffs where I shoot).

You can also get a drop in match barrel(I did the composite model option) and stock combo from butler creek that is reasonably priced and still have money for a Timney or Volquartsen trigger (or just the hammer and sear which are easy to replace and the way I went). I have several of these guns (one in .22mag as well) and my target gun is a tack driver. I can put two into one hole a lot of the time at 100 yards.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
Victory is reserved...

i'll check out the 10/22. thanks guys.

no training going on just wanna blast away with cheap ammunition.

i guess the Ar body just looked cool
Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 AM   #15
CO_Steve is on a distinguished road
CO_Steve's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a place to learn a little more about 10/22s
Decent for sale section too.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/
Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 AM   #16
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
thanks nrafan. I found an ffl but would i still have to have a background check if bought online?

Yes. The person that you pick the rifle up from is responsible for that.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #17

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post

Yes. The process will be exactly the same once the rifle arrives at your FFL. State DROS fees, sales tax, background check, and a 10 day wait. You would have to find the rifle online for over $125 cheaper to make it worth buying.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #18
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Steve View Post
Here's a place to learn a little more about 10/22s
Decent for sale section too.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/

I have five 10/22s, one in target trim, one in sporter trim, one converted to HM2 .17, one box stock (apperance anyways) and one with a cut down folding stock with laser and halo type red-dot sight. They are the best .22s out there. You can customize to ANY level.