Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

remington 700 sps vs. marlin xl-7..............

Old 09-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
remington 700 sps vs. marlin xl-7..............

both chambered in .270. i need the pros and cons fellas. after tonight, again......im stuck going between these 2 rifles.

went to dicks sporting goods tonight and took a look at the rem. 700 sps, wood finish.....damn nice rifle. they have it for $600....with a $40 rebate by mail, and i have a $10 off coupon, along with some other rewards points there that will drop it a lil lower than that.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
whiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Supply SGT
whiskey101's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Remington 700 SPS in .243 that is an excellent gun. The trigger was great out of the box, but does offer adjustment.

I have heard nothing but good about the Marlin too.

I am betting the Remington will hold it's value better than the Marlin.

I think you will be happy either way you go. One thing to keep in mind is that there are tons of aftermarket parts that are designed around the Rem. 700 action. I don't think the same can be said of the Marlin.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

im still pretty much leaning toward the marlin, even though the remmy felt real nice, but also a lil on the heavier side(heavier than the marlin anyway).....and i kinda like the floor plate mag of the remmy......but seems the marlin would be a bit stronger since you load/unload from the top.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
I've no experience with the Marlin but I would take the 700 over almost any other comparable rifle. My brother-in-law is a SWAT sniper and is issued the 700 for a reason.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
whiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiskey101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Supply SGT
whiskey101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
im still pretty much leaning toward the marlin, even though the remmy felt real nice, but also a lil on the heavier side(heavier than the marlin anyway).....and i kinda like the floor plate mag of the remmy......but seems the marlin would be a bit stronger since you load/unload from the top.
I don't think you should have any concerns on the magazine design, but from the prices I have seen, the Remington is almost twice the cost. If you can get the Marlin for 325.00 or so, then you can spend that extra money on a nice scope.

I wish Marlin made the XS7 in a left handed model. I would really like a 7mm-08 in a left handed XS7 for less than 400.00.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey101 View Post
I don't think you should have any concerns on the magazine design, but from the prices I have seen, the Remington is almost twice the cost. If you can get the Marlin for 325.00 or so, then you can spend that extra money on a nice scope.

I wish Marlin made the XS7 in a left handed model. I would really like a 7mm-08 in a left handed XS7 for less than 400.00.
the xl-7c that im looking at(camo dipped), they shop has it priced at $428.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
Will, have you looked at the Weatherby Vanguards? The one I had was like $399 and shot nickle sized groups 100yds...
i have look at a couple Matt......but honestly, it just didnt feel right in my hands. kinda weird.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i have look at a couple Matt......but honestly, it just didnt feel right in my hands. kinda weird.
Ya, it's got to feel natural to you or it's no good.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
screw the rifles...wrestle the deer
Old 09-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
screw the rifles...wrestle the deer
in my younger days.....sure. i done got too damn old for jumpin outta trees on them.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
pansy
Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
pansy
yep
Old 11-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
azgunrunner will become famous soon enoughazgunrunner will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Former LEO
Name: George
azgunrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
both chambered in .270. i need the pros and cons fellas. after tonight, again......im stuck going between these 2 rifles.

went to dicks sporting goods tonight and took a look at the rem. 700 sps, wood finish.....damn nice rifle. they have it for $600....with a $40 rebate by mail, and i have a $10 off coupon, along with some other rewards points there that will drop it a lil lower than that.

go with the 700. My buddy got one of those marlins in 30-06 in prep for deer season. Went to zero in his scope and the rifle wouldn't shoot anything smaller than a 4" group at 100. Tried various factory loads and different shooters and from a rest. He ended up sending it back to Marlin where they replaced the barrel and now it shoots better but from a rest it will only shoot 1.5" groups.

My fresh out of the box 700 SPS in 300WM will shoot sub 1" groups at 100 (5 round groups). At 200 where I have it sighted in I am getting 1.5" groups from a rest.

The only other rifle that I would consider would be a Savage or Tikka (Others too but not in the price range).
Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
700 all the way.

Just got a 700 .270 BDL last week for 600$ Never been shot. Still in the box.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
VTaco08 is on a distinguished road

Army:
VTaco08's Tacoma Gallery
The marlin believe it or not is more accurate. Two or three years ago they had a write up in guns and ammo for the top ten most accurate non modified bolt guns. The marlin finished ahead of the remington, however that wastwo years ago so you might want to check it out yourself. I'm in the army and we use modified model 700 remington rifles which are great rifles but are heavily modified. I do believe the Marlin is a synthetic stock as well. I'm old fashioned and love the look of a wooden stock and a blued barrel. Also consider cost, weight depending on what you want to do with the rifle. Hope this helped.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
I would never take the risk of buying a new Rem700.
Too many qc issues, too great of a chance of buying a lemon.
There are many fish in the sea.
If you like the Marlin fit and feel, buy it.
Consider Savage, Tikka, too.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #19

i probably should have came back to this thread after i bought a few months back, but i got a remington 700 sps buckmasters,with a nikon prostaff scope, chambered in .30-06.....couldnt pass the deal up.

shoots nice and clean, and accurate as hell.