LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Bullet on ice

Old 10-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Bullet on ice

See vid here;
http://gizmodo.com/5663836/the-incre...-bullet-on-ice
Quote:
Apparently, Mythbusters is going to film a segment to test the incredible case of the spinning bullet on ice. Many people are discussing if this is possible or not. After watching it repeatedly and reading the arguments, I believe it.
Some people say that this is impossible. How can a .40 caliber bullet stop on the ice like that, losing all its forward momentum and still keep spinning? I don't know the what the physics are, but the video is pretty clear and I don't see any way of faking that, which is probably why Mythbusters is going to put it to the test. Like one of the commenters in the Discovery forums said:
either they did many many hours planning and editing and Photoshop work, or they have access to very powerful special effects editing software with good knowledge on how to use it, and still spent hours working on it. Or they just found an interesting seemingly impossible thing that bullets do in ice and filmed it. If they got paid to put all the work into making this a fake then that would be another story, but since it has nothing to do with any viral add they didn't get paid, putting in the work it would have taken to fake it would be a little nuts…
That's why other people are saying that this is possible, and would fall be one of the many crazy things that a bullet can do. You know, magic bullets. Like the one that killed Kennedy.
In any case, I'm glad the Mythbusters are on the case. We will know the truth soon enough.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Should be interesting to see what the Mythbusters come up with. First off, I can't stress how stupid it would be to fire a handgun into hard ice like that but that aside, why isn't the jacket on the bullet dented or mangled or something? I've shot softer stuff than that and had the bullet jacket peel off the lead. I've shot deer and had the jacket stick to the outside of the pelt and lead penetrate.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I call BS on the video, that ice is like concrete.
Will be interesting to see what the MB's come up with.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Keefis is one of the sharper tools in the shedKeefis is one of the sharper tools in the shedKeefis is one of the sharper tools in the shedKeefis is one of the sharper tools in the shedKeefis is one of the sharper tools in the shedKeefis is one of the sharper tools in the shedKeefis is one of the sharper tools in the shedKeefis is one of the sharper tools in the shedKeefis is one of the sharper tools in the shedKeefis is one of the sharper tools in the shedKeefis is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Keefis's Tacoma Gallery
i think its legit... we should do a poll.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I can understand the physics behind it, as forward motion is stopped, but nothing is stopping its rotational momentum....But again....Why isnt the bullit damaged?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
I say it's possible...typical twist for 40SW is 1/16, so at 1000fps...(.75X1000)60=45000rpm....for a 180gr bullet, thats a lot of rotational energy that doesn't just disappear....
I've dug plenty of FMJ pistol bullets out of the range berm that look like you could reload them.
Cool vid.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
I say it's possible...typical twist for 40SW is 1/16, so at 1000fps...(.75X1000)60=45000rpm....for a 180gr bullet, thats a lot of rotational energy that doesn't just disappear....
I've dug plenty of FMJ pistol bullets out of the range berm that look like you could reload them.
Cool vid.
Yeah, but they disapate their engergy at a slower rate than the bullit in the vid..
Old 10-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, that's a little hard to believe that the bullet is unscathed. I don't even see rifling marks after it stops.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
Should be interesting to see what the Mythbusters come up with. First off, I can't stress how stupid it would be to fire a handgun into hard ice like that but that aside, why isn't the jacket on the bullet dented or mangled or something? I've shot softer stuff than that and had the bullet jacket peel off the lead. I've shot deer and had the jacket stick to the outside of the pelt and lead penetrate.

hmmm. I think they shot the pistol into the air and waiting for it to land. Either way its pretty stupid. Why else would they point and say "its right there!" when they run up to it. Plus the bullet is pointed straight down when they first showed up.

Beats me. I'm no weapons expert of forensics guy. We'll see it on TV I suppose.

EDIT - WELP. Stupid internet skipped the first seconds of the video . He shot it into the ice directly. my bad. stupid interwebz yo!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
Yeah, that's a little hard to believe that the bullet is unscathed. I don't even see rifling marks after it stops.
So uh,wheres the thread about the girl in you avatar?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskie View Post
So uh,wheres the thread about the girl in you avatar?
yeah x2.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
we should make a bet (poll) about whether it can happen or not before the episode airs.

I would vote that it is possible.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Total bullshit!!! I've recovered slugs from water that deformed more than that!!! BTW MBs is full o'shit any way. I'm not very smart, but I'm no dumbass either. I've got arrows that have been "Robin-Hooded" to which they say can't be done. Don't get me started on the ballistics in to the pool.... Remember people "It is TV"....
Old 10-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
I'm pretty sure I did.
I saw them too.