Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Ruger 22/45

Old 10-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Senior Citizen
MT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant future

Air Force: Telecomm Tech
MT Madman's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger 22/45

The wife went with to the range with me last weekend, she had fun shooting but didn't like the weight of my 45 but did of the 22 revolver but had problems with pulling the hammer back so I'm looking to get her a 22 auto. I'm looking at the Ruger 22/45 Mark III decent price for an auto, mainly the model 0107 [http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ucts_id/13153] or the 0109 [http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ucts_id/14307]. Anyone got any experience good/bad with these?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Forging Elite Fitness
TACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODACKS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Mike
TACODACKS's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

I have the 22/45 MKIII. Awesome is an understatement. Just about 1000 rounds, and no problems (see below). It's accurate and very fun to shoot. It's also a great way to practice the basics, as 22 rounds are about 7 cents a round for the good stuff....

The one "thing" that it is picky about- mine likes hi velocity or hypersonic ammo. The low velocity stuff caused some problems early on, but since changing ammo, it has been flawless. Truly a great pistol.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I shot a ruger very similar to those. I think it was the same model just an older version with a longer barrel. Very fun to shoot. Almost no recoil. Great for plinking around at the range and very accurate. I'd like to have one myself.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACODACKS View Post
I have the 22/45 MKIII. Awesome is an understatement. Just about 1000 rounds, and no problems (see below). It's accurate and very fun to shoot. It's also a great way to practice the basics, as 22 rounds are about 7 cents a round for the good stuff....

The one "thing" that it is picky about- mine likes hi velocity or hypersonic ammo. The low velocity stuff caused some problems early on, but since changing ammo, it has been flawless. Truly a great pistol.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
i have the tapered barrel one and shoot the hell out of it i have about 2500 rounds out of it with no cleaning other than the barrel they are a great gun
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
I have two MKII's and for some reason, I always take my Buckmark to the range.
I think I like the grips and trigger of the Browning better.
I have one of my Rugers with Volquartsen internals and the trigger is fine.
I guess it's the grip.
Plus takedown and cleaning the Ruger is never easy.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
I had the Kimber Tactical at the range today, and just for fun I slapped on the .22 conversion. Very lightweight, and very accurate, and it takes less than 2 minutes to switch them out. Plus, I didn't have to get a new registration for the conversion.

I had the Buckmark as well, and enjoyed it ... just never felt the need for a Ruger.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
Slightly Sane
2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed
2 tacomas's Tacoma Gallery
I love my MKIII 22/45 Hunter. It's a great little gun and has gone through thousands of trouble-free shots. Take-down can be a little tricky the first time, but once you figure it out it takes less than 5 minutes to completely dissemble and reassemble. Here is a helpful site on proper field stripping procedures: http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Worst gun for disassembly: Stoeger .22 Luger. The most ridiculous, convoluted piece of Rube Goldberg crap ever imported.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
sandboxpirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandboxpirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandboxpirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandboxpirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandboxpirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandboxpirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandboxpirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandboxpirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandboxpirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandboxpirate is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandboxpirate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry Team Leader 120th Infantry NCNG
Name: Michael
sandboxpirate's Tacoma Gallery
I just listed one up here but traded it for a Ruger p-95 9mm. I like the 22-45 I only got rid of mine because I have two. Ditto on the high powered ammo but that is a automatic 22LR. issue in general. Never had any problems with mine they are accurate and fun to shoot.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...k-up-only.html
Old 10-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimonback View Post
Worst gun for disassembly: Stoeger .22 Luger. The most ridiculous, convoluted piece of Rube Goldberg crap ever imported.
Truth! BUT reliable none the less.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 66H now w/ PHS
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
If you would consider another 22 take a look at the Walther P22 w/ 3.4" barrel single/double action. 5" barrel is also available and are interchangeable. Very accurate and reliable and I've had only 2 FTE in about 1000rds. Shoots anything you feed into it. Different backstraps included. Takedown lever is a little bit of a pain to work with and you need a little plastic piece (included) to keep recoild spring in place when putting her back together though. It's about $60 more then the Ruger though.Every newbie that I take to the range shoots this first. Funny part is my wife actually likes my Kimber Ultra Carry II better.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:15 AM   #13
Senior Citizen
MT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant future

saulibiomd, I've looked at the Walther P22 and I like the weight of the gun (which would be great for the wife) but I'm a bit concerned about the Zinc slides, I've read where they've cracked and even broke all together but I'll read up on them a bit more. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:40 AM   #14
TNTaco is on a distinguished road

Army: Charlie Company, 237th Engineer Batallion, AMF(L)
Name: Steven
TNTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You can't go wrong buying the Ruger MKIII
Old 10-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #15
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Not a fan

I had a Ruger and the Buckmark.
I had miss fire issues with both. I tried all the different .22 ammo nothing worked.
I bought a S&W Target .22 for $250 several years ago never had a problem with it. We now have a Beretta .22 as well and it has been a great gun.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #16
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger 22/45-wallpaper1.jpgI have a few 22's. Ruger mark III Hunter ,1954 Ruger Mark I, Browning Buckmark, Dan Wesson 22 Revolver 4in Barrel and a couple a cheap 22 pistols. The ruger is my favorite. The trigger is very good on it and the sights are the best of all my pistols.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:28 AM   #17
Senior Citizen

I've pretty much decided on the Rugers, now I'll start looking and shopping around for a FFL. I'm getting a pair of them so we can both shoot and I won't be spending so much on .45's - although I'll fire off a full magazine each time we shoot.

Thanks for all your inputs!