Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Good Bird Shotgun- Need Help

Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: truck driver 1404
Name: chris
toyotadude5's Tacoma Gallery
Good Bird Shotgun- Need Help

Hey guys. I am looking at getting a new shotgun. I mainly hunt Ducks, Geese, and smaller stuff like quail, and dove.

So i need a good shotgun that can shot a smaller round (2&3/4, 7&1/2 shot) and also be able to handle a big shell (3&1/2, 2 shot) and the 3&1/2 magnums for the geese.

I just need some good guns to choose from. Also i dont have thousands of dollars to spend haha.

O and semi-auto is preferred but pump is ok also.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
It's hard to beat an old Remington 870 pump-gun, not the most sexy gun out there, but for the money hard to beat.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I'd take a pump over a semi-auto most days of the week. With Semi autos, there is more maintenance to do over time and more things will wear out on it (gaskets, seals, etc) I'm not saying they aren't great guns, but I've always preferred pumps regardless of my target animal. Check out a 870 (3 1/2) magnum as it will eat anything 2 3/4 through 3 1/2. I have a turkey magnum and it's a great, well built gun.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ya i currently have a itheca model 37 pump. Its a great gun but i am limited on the size shells i can use.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotadude5 View Post
ya i currently have a itheca model 37 pump. Its a great gun but i am limited on the size shells i can use.
I have that shotgun also, Model 37 deerslayer. It will only take a 2 3/4 shell. I have no complaints about that gun at all. Since you're looking to shoot waterfowl, you're definitely gonna need a gun that will hold AT LEAST a 3" shell. With the waterfowl shot being steel these days, they don't have the knock-down power of lead shot. (Thank PETA for that) There's a conversion chart for steel vs. lead shot:

http://shotshell.drundel.com/steel.htm
Old 11-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
the new stoger model 3000 is a really nice gun
Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
sgoat is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
sgoat's Tacoma Gallery
Mossberg 930 waterfowl. Great gun, great price. Wood or synthetic.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...php?=&p=794471
Old 11-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Please listen to me on this- all of my family and friends own and love ---- the benelli nova 12 gauge. Works extremeley well with all rounds, it is cheap but durable and will last forever. Synthetic everything haha. But trust
me this gun is the best. Today I went hunting and dropped it in the salty bay water and mud. I cleaned it with my fingers, shot some birds brought it home, hosed it off and oiled it down. No rust problems and a pretty light gun... I've had it for 5 years and haven't and won't have a problem with it. Trust me and get one for only 400 bucks you can't beat it.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
As most others have said, a pump may be your best bet if you want to shoot light target loads and heavy mags out of the same gun. For a semi, consider the Winchester SX3. The 3-1/2" model may or may not shoot the 2-3/4" loads reliably after a break-in period. It should at least handle the stiffer 2-3/4" loads like the heavier Win AA loads.

I have a 3" SX3 and love it, but I don't hunt geese.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
i have both the remington 870 and the rem 1187. both guns are great execpt the fact i have NEVER ONCE had a shell jam on me with the 870. extremetly reliable gun for a small price. you can always count on it to shoot flawlessly
Old 11-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
My old Walgreens Mossy 500 nailed a flying mallard at 75 yards with 2 3/4" #4.
Full choke on a 30" barrel. Only time I've ever fired at a duck, I was hunting pheasants in rice fields outside Chico.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #12

cool. I have heard GREAT things about the rem 870. Does that come in either pump or semi? Or just pump. And do you know of any sites that sell used?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
harlycarly is on a distinguished road
harlycarly's Tacoma Gallery
Remington 870 pump

Mossberg 500 or 835 (if you insist on 3 1/2 inch shells) pumps

Benelli Nova pump.

Keep the Model 37, great for lighter shells and loads, especially if you're a southpaw.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlycarly View Post
Remington 870 pump

Mossberg 500 or 835 (if you insist on 3 1/2 inch shells) pumps

Benelli Nova pump.

Keep the Model 37, great for lighter shells and loads, especially if you're a southpaw.
cool. I will be keeping the 37. Its a good gun. But i want a good all around gun, and something that will stop a bird dead.

My price range for a gun is as low as possible haha. used or new
Old 11-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
JPDTees is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
JPDTees's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the money, I would suggest the Benelli Super Black Eagle. Semi-auto, all shell sizes and tough as nails. I've hunted with it in snow, mud, dirt, etc conditions with no problems. I've killed pretty much every type of game that flies, walks or crawls with it...

Otherwise, the Nova is a much cheaper, good alternative.

Eric
Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Nova! *Pun warning* Pull the trigger and buy one!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
REMINGTON 870 EXPRESS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #18
harlycarly is on a distinguished road
harlycarly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotadude5 View Post
cool. I will be keeping the 37. Its a good gun. But i want a good all around gun, and something that will stop a bird dead.

My price range for a gun is as low as possible haha. used or new
All of the above are well made, inexpensive and readily available on the used market.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
www.budsgunshop.com has used guns pretty regularly
Old 11-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #20
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
nothing sexier in the shotgun world than an over/under. i'm seeing them more and more in duck blinds.

i love how you know you are absolutely safe, with the shotgun broken open. my stepdad..i make him use his o/u now. i like to know visually that he isnt going to fire a shot accidentally. dont ask about the big hole in the back seat floor portion of my brother's pickup truck...dont ask.