Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Bought Mossberg 535 now need little advice

Old 11-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Bought Mossberg 535 now need little advice

After all crap that happen this year I was lookign for a gun and today I bought one (need to wait two weeks to pick it up)
So i got Mossberg 535

its primary duty its going to be home defense either against drug addicts that do stir up crap in my place or predators
But what accessories I can get on it. My state allows only 3 rounds in the gun so I need to have more readily available, plus I had seen people putting some kind of grip strap on the front.
Also is there a way to put laser pointer on top ? I thinking it would be easier at night to point that thing.
What else needs to go on it?
Thanks in advance.
BTW I am complete noob when it comes to guns never believed I would need one I guess times are changing.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
Slightly Sane
2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed2 tacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed
2 tacomas's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the purchase - I have a 535 w/ a thumbhole stock and love it. Parts that are 535 specific can be a little tricky to find since the 535 is still a fairly new Mossberg Model. One good source for gun parts is: http://www.midwayusa.com/

Most (but not all) parts that fit the Mossberg 500 should fit your 535, taking a few measurements on your gun and then verifying the specs on the part you want to get is key. The 535 is built on the same basic frame as the 500, it just has a stretched out receiver to accept 3.5" shells (the 500 can only take up to 3" shells). There are TONS of accessories out there for the 500...if you have any other parts specific questions let me know.

Here is my 535:

Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
USFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Medical
Name: Jeff
USFCON's Tacoma Gallery
My two cents - Try to get a light rather than a laser on a shotgun, seems more practical. Secondly move to florida, it seems you can have a centry guns on your front lawn and no one cares. Only 3 rounds in your gun? Who would know i there was more? Also 2 week waiting period? Wow. Nice purchase by the way, how much did it run ya? Congrats.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
Tacomamoose is on a distinguished road
Name: Austin
Tacomamoose's Tacoma Gallery
If you need a light to see where your pointing that thing you should probably go do some practice at the range first.. if you just point at the person and let her rip your goin to hit em
Old 11-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
korny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud ofkorny351 has much to be proud of

Name: John
korny351's Tacoma Gallery
Instead of a laser, I'd suggest a tactical light. Makes for clear identification of your target. Some of them have a strobe setting, giving you a clear picture of your target while disorienting the intruder. You'll also need a rail mounting system to make it all work.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Nurse
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
What else needs to go on it?
Thanks in advance.
BTW I am complete noob when it comes to guns never believed I would need one I guess times are changing.

TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN!!!!! Especially since you're a newb. Take a class if you have to. Personally I have a lot of time with handguns and rifles but none with shotguns and would feel out of my element shooting one. If you want it for personal protection you need to practice safety, target identification (would suck to shoot a friend/family member because you were scared), target acquisition, aim, trigger pull, reloading, ensuring weapon is safe/unloaded (many people get shot with an unloaded weapon!!!!), etc. Another one that people forget is "house clearing" techniques - would suck if you have your flashlight constantly on and walking around not knowing the correct way to go around corners, etc.

Need to brush up on your local laws. When are you legally allowed to defend your home? Do you need to warn them or can you just blast away when you see them? Can you shoot through an outside door or do they have to be in the home? I would also suggest checking local court cases. Are juries more inclined to prosecute if your weapon looks "dangerous" (i.e. assault rifle versus a hunting rifle)? If so it might behoove (sp?) you to keep your weapon as it looks now versus adding lights, lasers, night vision, IR, extended magazines, super light triggers, etc.

Theres a ton of things you need to do before you start looking at what kind of tacticool furniture you want to add to your weapon. The most expensive, high-speed, low-drag weapon aint worth shit if you don't practice with it, maintain it, keep it accessible yet secure (I use a gun vault), and don't know how to use it. You just took on a TON of responsibility - especially since it's for home defense. Can you really look at another human being and pull the trigger (Tacoma [WA.] mall shooter. Person w/ CCP and carrying couldn't shoot the bad guy and ended up being one of the worst injured through the whole incident).

Otherwise, good luck and congrats on the new purchase.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome website thanks, They have 18 1/2 barrel for Mossberg 500 any idea if it is interchangeable with 535?
Yea training is the key I know, good part where I live they are not nazis yet about guns so once i get it I will going to the range to try it out. Plus planning to get hunting license training and get safety class with it.
Local laws are strict and say there needs to be warning when outside unless physically threatened..