Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

I'm seeing threads of harvested bucks...

Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
nomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
Talking I'm seeing threads of harvested bucks...

... but how many of you guys take does? I understand wanting a wall hanger, but what about thinning the female half of the herd? How many here go after the does as heavy as you do the bucks? Post some pictures of your "trophy" does.

Here's a doe I watch for several weeks before she made her way into my freezer (I named her Mimi... for her eyebrows... Drew Carey Show reference):
Old 11-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I always take a doe to put some extra meat in the freezer.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
loaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dalton
loaderman82's Tacoma Gallery
What ever walks in front of the stand will be laying in my freezer!!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
dpends where im huntin. national forest and such i take anything. if it is on my roommates land then i dont take anything with antlers past the ears(width). last year i shot 5 does and 1 buck. taste just as good to me
Old 11-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
nomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
We have a SHITLOAD of does around here in central NC. Generally speaking, it seems that no one wants to bother shooting them. I just don't get it. Once you have your fair share of antlers on the wall, why not take a doe or 4? IMHO they taste a hell of a lot better.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
We can't shot doe's here in Cali. Shit half the time we don't even get a. Chance to shoot a Buck.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
demnemisis is on a distinguished road
demnemisis's Tacoma Gallery
I do not take bucks unless damn impressive, I usually harvest only does. 5 so far this year. the freezers nearly full. No trophys pics because never had one mounted.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
demnemisis is on a distinguished road
demnemisis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
We have a SHITLOAD of does around here in central NC. Generally speaking, it seems that no one wants to bother shooting them. I just don't get it. Once you have your fair share of antlers on the wall, why not take a doe or 4? IMHO they taste a hell of a lot better.
You are right, they do taste alot better. We cut the balls of the cows and pigs for a reason, testastarone makes the flavor of the meat gamey. I do not mind the stronger flavor but the wife does not, she will not eat any animal if they have not been nuetered.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by demnemisis View Post
I do not take bucks unless damn impressive, I usually harvest only does. 5 so far this year. the freezers nearly full. No trophys pics because never had one mounted.
x2

I have to see a buck walk up and think "HOLY SHIT" before I put a bead on him.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
rhodehard09's Tacoma Gallery
i've always lived by the adage:
if its brown its going down, spots are even better...... i hunt to provide my family with organic/natural food...... so yes i will take a doe when i can. same as i will take a spike, or a giant 12 point. The kids or the crock pot don't know the difference
i dont take pictures of the deer i take....the same as i dont take pictures of the cows i eat from.
hunting, to me, is a personal satisfaction that i need not show others. i take what we can eat and no more........

i am not knocking you or others who show off their kills with pictures or mounts, i just dont feel that there is a need to.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
cadis10 is on a distinguished road
cadis10's Tacoma Gallery
i have always considered myself a trophy doe hunter. this year is the first year i have even let the does walk to try and get something decent just to say hey i shot this hoss! i will find you some of my trophy doe pics.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
i've always lived by the adage:
if its brown its going down, spots are even better...... i hunt to provide my family with organic/natural food...... so yes i will take a doe when i can. same as i will take a spike, or a giant 12 point. The kids or the crock pot don't know the difference
i dont take pictures of the deer i take....the same as i dont take pictures of the cows i eat from.
hunting, to me, is a personal satisfaction that i need not show others. i take what we can eat and no more........

i am not knocking you or others who show off their kills with pictures or mounts, i just dont feel that there is a need to.
No offense taken. We all look at it differently. The thing we share (that 95%+ of the rest of society doesn't) is we know where our food comes from. We take the time and make the effort to fill our own freezers. My hats off to you.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I'd only kill something if I plan on eating it. That being said, deer meat is delicious.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
I take does all the time. When ever we need meat we shoot what ever we can.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
I take does all the time. When ever we need meat we shoot what ever we can.
Are those Axis deer in your sig?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #18
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
Hell where I am (Tennessee Unit L) we can harvest 3 does /day. That's how overpopulated we are here! It has to be a good buck to take it.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #19
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
Yup.^^^^
Beautiful deer!

edit: Did you take those in Hawaii? If not, does Hawaii have deer?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #20
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy02ota View Post
Hell where I am (Tennessee Unit L) we can harvest 3 does /day. That's how overpopulated we are here! It has to be a good buck to take it.
I'd like to see NC have a couple of years that are doe only. THEN go back to the normal limits.