Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

XD 40 vs. XDM 40

Old 11-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
XD 40 vs. XDM 40

There is about a $200 price difference between the XD .40 cal and the XDM .40 cal.

The improvements on the XDM are the as follows (pulled off a forum):
1. the XDM has a better quality match grade barrel (more accurate)
2. you can change the back strap on the grip for variation in grip size
3. has better recoil system (heavy duty guide rod spring)
4. has striker status indicator (to verify weapon is cocked)- may have this on origional XD, but not certain
5. has a MRT (minimal reset trigger) similar to sig's SRT (short reset trigger)- this is a great improvement for follow up shots.
6. deeper, longer slide grasp serrations for grip
7. more texture on polymer frame for better grip and control.
8. 16 rd. mag vs. 12 rds in the origional service model XD .40

I put about 50 rounds through an XDM yesterday. But haven't been able to find an XD to shoot. I put 50 rounds through a P226 as well and liked the XDM much better.

Shot pretty well too (I think) for the first time ever shooting a handgun... Shot a 15 yrds.

Is it worth waiting to buy the XDM you think?
Old 11-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I have shot both and like both of them, but if I had to pick I'd go with the XDM. I like the way it felt and the magazine size, but you really can't go wrong with either of them as long as you take care of them and make sure they get cleaned regularly (every time after I shoot).
Old 11-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
I got the XD and I like it, I know that doesn't help. Choose the one that you feel more comfortable with.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone else...
Old 11-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
USFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Medical
Name: Jeff
USFCON's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry.....My glocks would be mad if i was cheating on them

GL!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
That grouping at 15 yards? You might have found your first handgun...

Those 5 rounds to the head were for the zombies? =D
Old 11-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nster986 View Post
That grouping at 15 yards? You might have found your first handgun...

Those 5 rounds to the head were for the zombies? =D
I've shot rifle and shotgun a lot and I just found with very smooth breathing it wasn't too bad.

I just can't spend $700 on a handgun right now.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #8
madcatter is on a distinguished road

madcatter's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt get rid of my xd--ever.
i have a lasermax in the spring and the gun shoots.i can roll a stainless steel coffee cup from 50 yards out to about 75 from an elevated platform(backporch)
i reload and right now cant think of the load but i put 500 up and havent really been shooting it like i have..
i sold my glocks,para ordinance,baretta,etc.
now its springfeilds for me and keltec
Old 11-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #9
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
xd40 FTMFW
Old 11-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Time after time I've compromised on my handguns in the hopes that I'd be satisfied with what I bought. In the end I always finished with the gun I wanted first, and invariably lost money in the education process.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
I've been seriously looking for a .40 cal as my next HG. The XD is currently at the top of my list. I was hoping they would have a model that has DA/SA.
Does the XDM have that option?
Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
XD 40 is awesome, i have a subcompact, conceal carry is pretty good, inside the pants holster. the XDM has a few upgrades as the OP stated, but is it all really worth the xtra price??

personally, i think not!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
Wv countryboy is on a distinguished road

Name: ryan
Wv countryboy's Tacoma Gallery
i love my xd tho i have it in a .45
Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
So I went and held both again.

I liked the XDM better but I'm still not sure as my first gun its worth the extra $200. I think I'm gonna have my dad pick me up a XD.

Next question 9mm or .40? Pros and Cons to both?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I have the XD 40 and like it alot. and no where have I seen the XDM for $700? its only 100 more than the xd.

see if any gun shops can match any of these prices. I took in a few price quotes to my local gun shop and they matched it for me

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CEEQ8wIwAA#

as for 9mm or .40 you have to ask yourself, do i want more bullets or heavier bullets? thats about it. I dont think you can go wrong with either one. 9mm is cheaper to shoot if that helps.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
speedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
speedfreek's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Glock 23C (.40 cal). I would spend the extra money to get the one you like most now instead of regretting later wishing you had it. As far as 9mm vs .40. I would go with the .40 for extra knock down power if using it for defense. If you are just going to the range all the time with it than a 9mm will do just fine and will cost you less in the initial purchase. Its all in what you want out of it. As far as the 9mm being cheaper to shoot than the .40 that is false (at least where I am). Ammo cost the same for both at my local Gun Depot. I would research the cost of the ammo for each before purchasing if you are planning on being at the range every weekend or frequently. If its the same get the .40. Good luck on whichever you decide.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #17
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking at the xdm45....just haven't got to shoot one
Old 12-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #19
motoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant futuremotoxer311 has a brilliant future
motoxer311's Tacoma Gallery
XDM is trying to compete with the P30, P30 used is a VERY nice firearm.. IMO too nice for everyday carry.. My daily carry piece is an XD9sc with a Crossbreed holster but looking to get an XDM 3.8 in OD green which isn't out yet.. I couldn't let myself carry the P30 since it was such a nice toy..

Check out my rig..

XD 40 vs. XDM 40-xdcrossbreed.jpg
Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
As far as the 9mm being cheaper to shoot than the .40 that is false (at least where I am).
everywhere ive seen 9mm is from 3-5 dollars cheaper per box of 50.