Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Home Defense: 9mm Semi-auto or 7.62x39mm AK-47?

View Poll Results: Which one for home defense?
9mm Semi-auto pistol 280 78.43%
7.62x39mm AK-47 rifle 77 21.57%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #21
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love tacos View Post
X2000
An AK will kill through multiple layers of cinder block, inaccurately I might add.
not really. AKs can be deadly accurate. they lose accuracy after dedicated full-auto use, which those are illegal here (to me anyway).
Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #22
Lukes is on a distinguished road
Lukes's Tacoma Gallery
honestly a 12 gauge is your best bet...a rem or a mossberg. Thats why they call it a home defense gun. yes it is longer than a pistol but what if your wife has to use it and she is scared in the situation. you teach her to point at the knees and shoot. Bird shot is just fine and won't do all the damage a 00 will. Either way a jury is going to judge you for shooting someone, lets be realistic. Thats why its so easy for these assholes to be criminals today. As for pistols not a bad idea to have either at your safe zone. also take into consideration peoples levels of experience shooting. If you only shot a handful of times a shotgun will be your best friend in this situation, and a plus, most likely will not take out any neighbors trying to sleep. Just another opinion.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #23
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukes View Post
honestly a 12 gauge is your best bet...a rem or a mossberg. Thats why they call it a home defense gun. yes it is longer than a pistol but what if your wife has to use it and she is scared in the situation. you teach her to point at the knees and shoot. Bird shot is just fine and won't do all the damage a 00 will. Either way a jury is going to judge you for shooting someone, lets be realistic. Thats why its so easy for these assholes to be criminals today. As for pistols not a bad idea to have either at your safe zone. also take into consideration peoples levels of experience shooting. If you only shot a handful of times a shotgun will be your best friend in this situation, and a plus, most likely will not take out any neighbors trying to sleep. Just another opinion.
Bullshit. Birdshot probably wont stop anybody. If you're prepared to shoot be prepared to kill, period. Otherwise get a baseball bat or taser.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #24
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEJR5lsYlrg?version=3
Old 12-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Racking a shot gun gives away your position. If the criminals so desired, they could shoot twards the sound, and flee. Possibly injuring/killing a familly member or yourself.

Best bet, Grab weapon, hunker down in a safe zone, and call 911 while keeping gaurd over the entrance to your area. If you feel threatened, keep lights off, make no sound, and clear house. Most people are going to be able to navigate their house in complete darkness. The bad guys cant. Advatage: Homeowner.
Good input, Chris. I dont know about the rest of yall but Im not gonna trust the sound of racking a shotgun with my families life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
well i am currently building an ar-15, so maybe i'll just stick with that. i thought the AK might be better
Just curious but why would you think the AK would be a better HD gun than the AR?

just load up your AR with some Hornady TAP ammo and slap a light on it and you should be good to go...as long as its a reliable gun that you know will go boom when you pull the trigger.

My current HD gun is a XD .40 with hornady hollow point defense ammo.

If I had to do any shooting outside the home I would prefer a shotgun or AR.
any HD gun should have some sort of night sights or a tac light as well
Old 12-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #26
thenomad will become famous soon enoughthenomad will become famous soon enough

Army:
Name: Way
thenomad's Tacoma Gallery
Don't use a rifle for home defense. I would get a mossberg shortie or a 45. Get the ceramic rounds
Old 12-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #27
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Just make sure that however it would be used in your HD situation, you wouldn't be shooting in a direction that would take somebody out.
Right. That's totally attainable in the middle of the dark at o-dark thirty.

"Scuse me buddy, would you step 3 steps towards your left? I'd hate this round to go into my kid's room."

You're right - expect your round to overpenetrate. Plan accordingly. And to try to find the round that will have the least chance to overpenetrate. BTW, I think most folks are misunderstanding that word - the definition is that the round exits the bad guy and keeps going. NOT that the round won't just randomly go through a wall.
Quote:
Anything that will adequately penetrate a person will penetrate drywall.
Probably true. In the 5 or 10 yards that most home invasions tend to be, #4 buck will be fine. Again, bird will not. Not sure how you're arguing against me. Read my first post (BUCK... the third time I use this word) Unless you're talking about the one-liner about how #4buck won't reach vital organs. But... you don't need to kill someone to stop them, do you?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #28
j83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: joshua
j83soldier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trever1t View Post
NEITHER...

home defence. You want a round that will not over penetrate. You want a round that will stop a big intruder in his tracks. You want a firearm that is easily weilded. You want a firearm that is dependable without fail!

Remmington 870 express 18.5" short barrel, full stock. 12 gauge. Plain, simple dependable, cheap. Just racking it will cause most intruders to flee. No fear of shooting your neighbors accidentilly.

Use a large caliber handgun with low-power slug for a go-to gun. 38 special is fine. 9mm is too fast. 45 is ok.

Use handgun to go to the shotgun.

just my 2cents
X2 in an home defense situation you probably wont catch the intruder in you door way. You want major stopping power, easy to aim and fire under stress and the ability to retain 365 shooting radias. Rifles are great, not much training is needed but the lengh keeps you from drawing in close corters and the round is way to powerful, think if you shoot an miss you dont want the round going thru a wall and hitting who you are tring to protect. Plus a rifle is easy to take away from someone due to its lengh. Ok pistols, they are better but regardless of how good you think you are to accuretly engage a person with them under stress requires a good amount of training and it is parshable. If you miss its pointless. 9mm can take mulitpe shots to down a grown man and 44 45 and 357 can penitrate walls too. Think, can your wife operate it accurately while scared. No probably not. Home defense = shotgun. A mosburg 550 short barrel. Short enough to swing in close combat, aiming requires no skill and with 00 buck at anything closer than 15 feet will go down. Plus you retain 360 shooting. You can shoot without worry about what or who is behind a wall. Whatever choice you make there should be no hesitation between the pull of a weapon and the execution of a target. Guns are VERY easily taken away from people who hesitate. If you want to intiminate use a bat, if you already have a gun in you hand the descision has already been made to engage the intruder. Just my opinion
Old 12-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #29
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Right. That's totally attainable in the middle of the dark at o-dark thirty.

"Scuse me buddy, would you step 3 steps towards your left? I'd hate this round to go into my kid's room."

You're right - expect your round to overpenetrate. Plan accordingly. And to try to find the round that will have the least chance to overpenetrate. BTW, I think most folks are misunderstanding that word - the definition is that the round exits the bad guy and keeps going. NOT that the round won't just randomly go through a wall.

Probably true. In the 5 or 10 yards that most home invasions tend to be, #4 buck will be fine. Again, bird will not. Not sure how you're arguing against me. Read my first post (BUCK... the third time I use this word)
Do I mean you're batman, have nightvision, and will be able to see the bad guy clearly while you're half-awake and confused? No.

What I mean is that while you're planning home defense, in the daylight, wide-awake, take into consideration how such an event would likely go down and plan your HD accordingly. This DOES mean knowing that if you were to go into your living room, armed, you would be as aware as possible that your kid's room is through the wall next to the fireplace. This DOES mean not intending to use large pistol rounds when you have a lot of interior walls with people on the other side.

Am I saying you can see through walls like superman? Of course not. I'm saying plan your home defense while being cognizant of where living beings are likely to be during a home invasion, and be aware of what general directions are safe and which aren't, and where you would want to be shooting from. Some of us live alone and only have to take into account our neighbors, some of us don't. Everyone's home or apartment has a different layout.

You may be in a rush and not think clearly at 330, but that's no excuse for not trying to plan what you would do in advance as best you can. Having no plan because you'll be tired and confused with adrenaline pumping is no excuse. Not saying it'll be perfect or happen how you think.

Again, go look at that box o' truth. #4 WILL penetrate drywall. #4 buck is still likely too small to do much BG damage. There's no logical reason to use it.

00 will hurt the bad guy. Yes it will go through drywall. Try to plan your HD so you don't have to shoot at walls with people behind them, don't expect the ammo not to penetrate. That is careless.

Lastly, http://www.thegunzone.com/therules.html "Always be sure of your target." Always, always, always. You should know that it is a bad guy you're shooting at, and be aware of who would normally be behind the wall you're shooting at. Any less is inexcusable.

And what I mean is: 00 will have the bad guy disabled. #4? You can go ahead and use that, I'll use something proven to take him down. If he dies in 3 hours from blood loss, the gun wasn't enough. You want to disable a bad guy so that he can't hurt you, immediately.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by j83soldier View Post
X2 in an home defense situation you probably wont catch the intruder in you door way. You want major stopping power, easy to aim and fire under stress and the ability to retain 365 shooting radias. Rifles are great, not much training is needed but the lengh keeps you from drawing in close corters and the round is way to powerful, think if you shoot an miss you dont want the round going thru a wall and hitting who you are tring to protect. Plus a rifle is easy to take away from someone due to its lengh. Ok pistols, they are better but regardless of how good you think you are to accuretly engage a person with them under stress requires a good amount of training and it is parshable. If you miss its pointless. 9mm can take mulitpe shots to down a grown man and 44 45 and 357 can penitrate walls too. Think, can your wife operate it accurately while scared. No probably not. Home defense = shotgun. A mosburg 550 short barrel. Short enough to swing in close combat, aiming requires no skill and with 00 buck at anything closer than 15 feet will go down. Plus you retain 360 shooting. You can shoot without worry about what or who is behind a wall. Whatever choice you make there should be no hesitation between the pull of a weapon and the execution of a target. Guns are VERY easily taken away from people who hesitate. If you want to intiminate use a bat, if you already have a gun in you hand the descision has already been made to engage the intruder. Just my opinion
I agree mostly, although you need to ABSOLUTELY make sure that anybody you would want using a firearm in self-defense is trained to use the firearm.

In other words, if you get a shotgun because you think your wife can learn to operate it more quickly, great. This is no substitute for training. She still needs to go to the range and learn how to shoot the thing.

Something going bump in the night is no time for her first shotgun lesson.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #31
j83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
just read the whole thread. Hey man you are talking about home defense, or close quarters combat. YOU DO NOT WANT A HIGH VELOCITY ROUND that includes 5.56, .223 (same thing) and 7.62 or any rifle for that matter. The design purpose of high velocity rounds is distance and penitration. You dont want either. You want a round that wont penitrate. You are looking for something that will hit a bone and bounce around turning his insides to soup yet one that is not to small incase it is an thru and thu shot. Also you want something that wont penetrated all your walls. If you shoot a lot a pistol would work for you but what about your family are they well trained to. (have you wife do some sprints till she is winded then have her Load and enage a target QUICKLY) if she cant go with a shotgun
Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #32
My biggest sole issue with all this advice is that you're all assuming there is a round that won't overpenetrate.

Any firearm large enough to stop an attacker is large enough to penetrate interior walls.

Let me repeat that.

Any firearm large enough to stop an attacker is large enough to penetrate interior walls.

Don't believe me? Take it to the range and try it out. Interior walls are weak.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #33

Army:
Quote:
I agree mostly, although you need to ABSOLUTELY make sure that anybody you would want using a firearm in self-defense is trained to use the firearm.

In other words, if you get a shotgun because you think your wife can learn to operate it more quickly, great. This is no substitute for training. She still needs to go to the range and learn how to shoot the thing.

Something going bump in the night is no time for her first shotgun lesson.
brother I completly agree man. My point is pistols require ALOT of constant training to engage quickly AND accuratly. Shotguns are more simple and do not require as much training but yes all weapons should be trained on. Also I want to clarify my penetration point. I want to retain as much shooting degree as possible but you still need to hold a shot till you KNOW it is clear. With a shotgun or pistol vs a high velocity round you will retain a much bigger shooting radius. I left these points out cause I figured they would be common sence IE I would engage ALL exerior walls without fear of next door house, 7.62 I would not.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #34
Quote:
brother I completly agree man. My point is pistols require ALOT of constant training to engage quickly AND accuratly. Shotguns are more simple and do not require as much training but yes all weapons should be trained on. Also I want to clarify my penetration point. I want to retain as much shooting degree as possible but you still need to hold a shot till you KNOW it is clear. With a shotgun or pistol vs a high velocity round you will retain a much bigger shooting radius. I left these points out cause I figured they would be common sence
That is a very good point.

I just didn't want to perpetuate a myth some people have that shotguns are so easy to operate, anyone can do it without ever having touched one. Wayyy easier to pick up than a pistol though, agreed!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #35

Army:
hey man your from huntsville I was born and raised there. small world
Old 12-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #36
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
First, there isnt gonna be any name calling in this thread. Cool? Good.

Second, I think alot of this all depends on the training of the people who are going to be handling the weapon.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
First, there isnt gonna be any name calling in this thread. Cool? Good.

Second, I think alot of this all depends on the training of the people who are going to be handling the weapon.
Sorry. Feel free to redact my name calling. I had too much caffeine today.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #38
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry. Feel free to redact my name calling. I had too much caffeine today.
Its cool, and this can be an emotional topic for folks. I just dont want it to get out of hand
Old 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #39

Army:
seems friendly to me. I agree chris nothing is more important than being fam. with you weapons but with what the OP threw out there for options I figured he was not that familar with their capibilites and draw backs. In a stressful situation shotgun=simplicity, simplicity=saftey. or a claymore outside you bedroom would word too, might be excessive though
Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #40
Quote:
hey man your from huntsville I was born and raised there. small world
Hah, well, I'm actually a transplanted Missourian, but I live here now.