LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Home Defense: 9mm Semi-auto or 7.62x39mm AK-47?

View Poll Results: Which one for home defense?
9mm Semi-auto pistol 279 78.37%
7.62x39mm AK-47 rifle 77 21.63%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #161
bfaisok is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
bfaisok's Tacoma Gallery
foregot to mention my Mal, she'll bite
Old 02-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #162
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I'd vote, of the two, a 9mm.

Throw a TLR-2 or a X300 on it and get some JHP rounds and good to go.

Possibly a better set up could be something in .223...

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm
specifically the "Overpenetration inside the home" part you all might be interested in looking at

Probably a good bet to have a light on any home defense weapon.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=446092&page=1

and of course, in keeping with the theme of this thread... what I'd really like to rock for home defense is Travis Haley's Saiga
Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #163
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
i have a saiga-12, that thing rocks my socks off off. i picked it up for 450 back when they came out but overall id prefer one of my pistols over a long gun
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #164
post count low - toyota truck count #6
dmb72 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
dmb72's Tacoma Gallery
For me, 357. Use 38 hollow point rounds (don't want to kill someone two houses over with 357 mag rounds). I just know when called upon, IT WILL FIRE. My .02...
Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #166
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
12 ga. shot gun

OR

go online, order a few hundred round of MACE FILLED PAINTBALLS
get a speedball paintball gun capable of say 20 bps (balls per second firing rate)
turn up FPS
aim for the face
oh, and after he drops whatever he was holding keep firing till you are out, should only take about 10-15 sec
the guy will be covered in bruises
i know i will take crap for this about stopping power, but let me ask you guys this
have you ever had 68 caliber anything hit you multiple time in 1 second moving like 300-350 fps
especially in the face
you will stop, and add the mace into that, you will be on the ground
i have been hit in the side of the head WITH A MASK ON and it dropped me to ground
and the mace paintballs are used in some of the prisons to subdue inmates if things get bad enough

and all you have to do is hold the trigger down and spray and pray, dont have to worry about what is behind it as much, since it is non lethal, hurts like hell, but non lethal and wont go through walls

make sure you get lots of practice before hand (buy cheep Walmart paint, it is great for practice)

Oh and the only reason i say this is i love paintball guns (and real guns)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #167
The man with(out) a plan
SRV06 is on a distinguished road
Name: dMa
SRV06's Tacoma Gallery
I'll always take my 18.5" barrel 12 gauge. If the sound doesn't get 'em the #4 buckshot will take the biggest boys down. And not with a "flesh wound" from heavy dove.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #168
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
This is one of the dumbest questions I've seen... both weapons are no where near related and have almost completely different purposes... sorry if this has already been said... its like comparing a Toyota Supra to a Toyota Tacoma sure they are both vehicles made by Toyota but they have different purposes and abilities
Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #169
jmayday23 will become famous soon enough
Name: Joel
jmayday23's Tacoma Gallery
You'd be an idiot to use an assault rifle for primary home defense. yeah, you can put down some damage but at the expense of taking out one of your kids in another room or a neighbor across the yard. Whatever you use, think about what is behind what you may be shooting at prior to that situation arising. My kids rooms are across the hall from my wife's and mine, so if someone were to come through that door, I better place those rounds perfectly and from an angle where my kids won't be in danger. Something to think about... I still keep my Sig P220 close at hand with a backup 12 guage. I'll just aim for a head shot to keep it away from my kid's height.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #170
plee33 will become famous soon enoughplee33 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
A pump shotgun will do the trick.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #171
mortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant future

Name: Michael
mortuusangelus's Tacoma Gallery
OK.. first off, on over penetration... simple... stone walls. Live in a bunker, you won't have problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
12 ga. shot gun

OR

go online, order a few hundred round of MACE FILLED PAINTBALLS
get a speedball paintball gun capable of say 20 bps (balls per second firing rate)
turn up FPS
aim for the face
oh, and after he drops whatever he was holding keep firing till you are out, should only take about 10-15 sec
the guy will be covered in bruises
i know i will take crap for this about stopping power, but let me ask you guys this
have you ever had 68 caliber anything hit you multiple time in 1 second moving like 300-350 fps
especially in the face
you will stop, and add the mace into that, you will be on the ground
i have been hit in the side of the head WITH A MASK ON and it dropped me to ground
and the mace paintballs are used in some of the prisons to subdue inmates if things get bad enough

and all you have to do is hold the trigger down and spray and pray, dont have to worry about what is behind it as much, since it is non lethal, hurts like hell, but non lethal and wont go through walls

make sure you get lots of practice before hand (buy cheep Walmart paint, it is great for practice)

Oh and the only reason i say this is i love paintball guns (and real guns)
Not a bad idea, except for when you get the guy(s) breaking in who are higher than holy hell on some shit (meth, coke, heroin.. a mixture of all?).. I've seen how effective mace and pepper spray is on drugged up people.. they cry a little because of the chemical reaction and keep coming. I'll stick with pure stopping power.. and you can always make your kids sleep on futons.. lowers the point of aim to center of mass.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #173
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayday23 View Post
You'd be an idiot to use an assault rifle for primary home defense. yeah, you can put down some damage but at the expense of taking out one of your kids in another room or a neighbor across the yard. Whatever you use, think about what is behind what you may be shooting at prior to that situation arising. My kids rooms are across the hall from my wife's and mine, so if someone were to come through that door, I better place those rounds perfectly and from an angle where my kids won't be in danger. Something to think about... I still keep my Sig P220 close at hand with a backup 12 guage. I'll just aim for a head shot to keep it away from my kid's height.
actually .223/5.56 FMJs behave surprisingly in this environment... the lightweight, superfast projectile tends to quickly destabilise into a tumble when punching through walls, and rather quickly breaks apart... heavier and slower projectiles fired from pistols or shotguns tend to punch through a bit better... though, i wouldn't want to fire it in an enclosed space w/out hearing protection!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #174
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Glock 17 with 16 hollowpoints in the mag and one in the chamber next to my bed. The only negative is our bedroom is on one end of our 120 ft long house so I need something at the other end too. I've got a mossberg 702 plinkster .22 semi auto rifle and a remington 770 30.06 down at the other end but I need something a little handier than either of those. I'd like to get a smaller glock 9mm for concealed carry to keep down there.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #175
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
Might kill your neighbor with an AK47, I agree with the shotgun. I use #4 shot for HD. Not much over penetration and the damage is acceptable. I also have a 9mm with Ranger 124gr sxt if the shotgun runs out of ammo.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #176
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember.....

More holes in the target are better than less holes

Bigger holes in the target are better than smaller holes

You don't shoot to scare or wound someone, you shoot to neutralize the threat.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #177
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
More holes in the target are better than less holes

Bigger holes in the target are better than smaller holes

You don't shoot to scare or wound someone, you shoot to neutralize the threat.
Exactly, you'll catch hell in court if you admit to anything different
Old 08-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #178
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
both 9 and 7.62 will over penetrate a home.

5.45 or frangible 7.62 is better.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #179
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
Both. Grab the carbine if someone is shooting up your neighbors down the street. Grab the handgun if your defending your own home. As for over penetration, I have 2 words for you... "TAP rounds" They don't go through bad guys or walls. I always keep a mag of TAP rounds with my go-to carbine.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #180
Admiral Awesome is on a distinguished road

Name: anthony
Admiral Awesome's Tacoma Gallery
Remington 870 with pistol grip is my home defense
i say ak cause thats my other gun