Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Home Defense: 9mm Semi-auto or 7.62x39mm AK-47?

View Poll Results: Which one for home defense?
9mm Semi-auto pistol 280 78.43%
7.62x39mm AK-47 rifle 77 21.57%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery

hell, lets add a poll and hear your arguments for which one
Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
00 buck, 12 gauge
Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
9mm + .45 + 5.56 + 44 mag = WIN!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Trever1t is on a distinguished road
Trever1t's Tacoma Gallery
NEITHER...

home defence. You want a round that will not over penetrate. You want a round that will stop a big intruder in his tracks. You want a firearm that is easily weilded. You want a firearm that is dependable without fail!

Remmington 870 express 18.5" short barrel, full stock. 12 gauge. Plain, simple dependable, cheap. Just racking it will cause most intruders to flee. No fear of shooting your neighbors accidentilly.

Use a large caliber handgun with low-power slug for a go-to gun. 38 special is fine. 9mm is too fast. 45 is ok.

Use handgun to go to the shotgun.

just my 2cents
Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Racking a shot gun gives away your position. If the criminals so desired, they could shoot twards the sound, and flee. Possibly injuring/killing a familly member or yourself.

Best bet, Grab weapon, hunker down in a safe zone, and call 911 while keeping gaurd over the entrance to your area. If you feel threatened, keep lights off, make no sound, and clear house. Most people are going to be able to navigate their house in complete darkness. The bad guys cant. Advatage: Homeowner.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Trever1t is on a distinguished road
Trever1t's Tacoma Gallery
that is true, and exactly the way to properly handle the situation. Agreed.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
I'm a Believer.
bluecollarguy7007 is on a distinguished road
Army: 214th Aviation. Regmt.
bluecollarguy7007's Tacoma Gallery

Really neither. I prefer a 12 gauge shot gun for @ least inside the home. Not to worry about the aim, just point & shoot & most likely will not penetrate the exterior walls & ruin the neighbors day as well.........................
Old 12-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
semi auto ... if you need an ak my guess is you either pissed off a mexican cartel or are shooting at the swat team
Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i have 12 gauge shotguns strewn all over my home. all of them are double barrels..either sxs or o/u's. fast to load and ready. i also seem to have shells all over the place too. i can move about loading and shooting with ease. my wife hates it.

i also have 9mm and on sat, will pick up a .45. the pistols are for really dire situations..like my wife and i are on the move, on the outside. i just need a good SOCOM 16 .308 rifle, and i can get to my safezone in the boonies.

for home stuff, i can see the police station from my house..i hope they get to me fast. i am setting up a defensive position and relying on a fast response..
Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
9mm, simply b/c AK is ridiculous for home defense. Over penetrating, 'overkill' for one or 2 intruders, unwieldy (too long in confined quarters) and good luck explaining to a jury why you even have a "terrorist" gun

(yeah, I know it's not and you know it's not, but do you think your jury is going to be made of NRA members, or idiots swayed by the media?)

A 9mm isn't too overpowered at short distances. Theoretically the better frangible rounds will stop after some drywayll, but it's certainly possible to overpenetrate.

Even 00 will overpenetrate - I read somewhere that #4 buck was the 'best' compromise between stopping someone, and stopping at an indoor wall. Note, that's buck not bird shot.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Anything that will adequately penetrate a person will penetrate drywall.

Get something that will stop an intruder. #4 probably will not:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm
Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Also, if racking a slide scares away the BG, great! (It's always better not to have to shoot anyone, I hope I never have to.) Do not depend on it.

I know too many idiots that have unloaded shotguns in their homes that plan on racking the slide in the event of a breakin - if you didn't scare him away, he's now aware where you are and thinks you're armed when you're not, gj!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
And this overpenetration crap is nonsense. You need to be SURE of your target and what's behind it, or haven't you read the four rules?

Don't trust that your ammo won't penetrate a wall, expect that it will and plan accordingly. If it's powerful enough to stop a BG, it's powerful enough to penetrate drywall, period.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
And this overpenetration crap is nonsense. You need to be SURE of your target and what's behind it, or haven't you read the four rules?

Don't trust that your ammo won't penetrate a wall, expect that it will and plan accordingly. If it's powerful enough to stop a BG, it's powerful enough to penetrate drywall, period.
what? you never miss? i watched a test on TV. even a 9mm went thru 2 interior walls and one exterior wall.

the only round that didnt was a .223. it went thru one interior wall, and splattered into another wall relatively harmlessly.

in a hot situation, i would probably miss. i would hate for it to hit a sleeping kid next door.

i am going for a shotgun. i dont own a .223.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
what? you never miss? i watched a test on TV. even a 9mm went thru 2 interior walls and one exterior wall.

the only round that didnt was a .223. it went thru one interior wall, and splattered into another wall relatively harmlessly.

in a hot situation, i would probably miss. i would hate for it to hit a sleeping kid next door.

well i am currently building an ar-15, so maybe i'll just stick with that. i thought the AK might be better
Old 12-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post

What? You shoot inappropriate rounds towards your kid's bedroom? I said "be sure of your target", not "be rambo". If your gun is pointed such that when you fire, nothing "killable" is immediately behind it within whatever its effective distance, overpenetration is not a problem.

In other words, get 00 buck, 9mm JHP, or .50BMG, whatever you can shoot comfortably. Just make sure that however it would be used in your HD situation, you wouldn't be shooting in a direction that would take somebody out.

If I shoot .50BMG in my living room in Montana, I can miss and hurt nobody. if I shoot 9mm downward in my apartment, I may well kill my neighbor downstairs.

My point, echoed by many gun experts, is: Don't try to find a bullet that won't penetrate drywall, it doesn't exist. Find something you can shoot accurately and comfortably, and make sure you plan it such that overpenetration is unlikely to kill people that live with or next to you.

For nitpickers: I of course meant a bullet that can reliably stop a bad guy and NOT penetrate drywall doesn't exist.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #18
I guess being sure of your target won't help if you have a tendency to spazz uncontrollably and do 360's when you fire
Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #19
i love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedi love tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 2nd Landing Support Battalion
Name: Chris
i love tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trever1t View Post
NEITHER...

home defence. You want a round that will not over penetrate. You want a round that will stop a big intruder in his tracks. You want a firearm that is easily weilded. You want a firearm that is dependable without fail!

Remmington 870 express 18.5" short barrel, full stock. 12 gauge. Plain, simple dependable, cheap. Just racking it will cause most intruders to flee. No fear of shooting your neighbors accidentilly.

Use a large caliber handgun with low-power slug for a go-to gun. 38 special is fine. 9mm is too fast. 45 is ok.

Use handgun to go to the shotgun.

just my 2cents
X2000
An AK will kill through multiple layers of cinder block, inaccurately I might add.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #20
I do agree a short-barrelled shotgun for most homes makes great sense. Relatively easy to point and control in a tense situation (though you do have to point it correctly, the spread isn't as wide as popularly believed).

OTOH, some of us live in apartments that have a couple of tiny rooms with tight turns where BG could easily snag a longer weapon, where handguns make sense.