Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Bowhunting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
nagelg [OP] nagelg is offline
Senior Member
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light
 
nagelg's Avatar
Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
Joined: Mar 2008, #5184
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 444
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Bowhunting

Only about a month away. Time to practice (and visit Cabela's)

Who's going, where? and what is your equipment?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
tacomaman06's Avatar
Name: Will
Joined: May 2007, #1475
Location: York,South Carolina
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,688
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
Only about a month away. Time to practice (and visit Cabela's)

Who's going, where? and what is your equipment?
still gotta get my neck surgery done......but im still waiting for hunting season to get here!!! its getting close!!

i'll be doing alot of bowhunting on some property here in rock hill,sc!! been seeing alotta deer over by that property, and the land developemnt up the way is driving them there.

i'll be using my old pawn shop pse nova, with carbon force radial x-weave stl hunter shafts with crimson talon broad heads, and my old nap thunderheads. im ready to see how the crimson talons do......i've heard they are killer!!

gotta get in alot more practice though.....havent been able to in a while due to my shoulder/neck trouble.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
nagelg [OP] nagelg is offline
Senior Member
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light
 
nagelg's Avatar
Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
Joined: Mar 2008, #5184
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 444
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
still gotta get my neck surgery done......but im still waiting for hunting season to get here!!! its getting close!!

i'll be doing alot of bowhunting on some property here in rock hill,sc!! been seeing alotta deer over by that property, and the land developemnt up the way is driving them there.

i'll be using my old pawn shop pse nova, with carbon force radial x-weave stl hunter shafts with crimson talon broad heads, and my old nap thunderheads. im ready to see how the crimson talons do......i've heard they are killer!!

gotta get in alot more practice though.....havent been able to in a while due to my shoulder/neck trouble.
Crank the # as low as it'll go Will. It don't take a lot to kill a deer.

I'm not going out west this year (first time in 20+ years), but I do have a cabin in north Wisconsin where I sure will put my time in. I'm using either a Zipper recurve with carbon express 4000's and Wentzel woodsman BH's or a 55# osage selfbow of my own making and heavy ash arrows tipped with 160 gr grizzles.

Good luck all
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
tacomaman06's Avatar
Name: Will
Joined: May 2007, #1475
Location: York,South Carolina
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,688
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
Crank the # as low as it'll go Will. It don't take a lot to kill a deer.

I'm not going out west this year (first time in 20+ years), but I do have a cabin in north Wisconsin where I sure will put my time in. I'm using either a Zipper recurve with carbon express 4000's and Wentzel woodsman BH's or a 55# osage selfbow of my own making and heavy ash arrows tipped with 160 gr grizzles.

Good luck all
sounds great man!!! i would love to hunt deer in wisconsin!!! big 'uns up that way!!!

also wanted to say this, which was in my mind, but i just thought about it. well, with my father passing recently, he has two bows at his house, and my brither and i are going to get them. one is his recurve,55#, with his old quiver and arrows(and he used to shoot grass carp with it), and another recurve. my brother doesnt hunt, but is gonna learn to shoot some, so he will get the single recurve, and im getting the recurve with the arrows and all. cant wait to learn to shoot it..........its an old bear bow!!! it will be like my dad is with me in the woods!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Senior Member
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough
 
Taco969's Avatar
Air Force: AFE
Joined: Jul 2008, #7778
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 333
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
I will be making it up to my Parents farm in Northern Wisconsin a few times this year
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
tacomaman06's Avatar
Name: Will
Joined: May 2007, #1475
Location: York,South Carolina
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,688
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco969 View Post
I will be making it up to my Parents farm in Northern Wisconsin a few times this year
happy hunting bro!!! be sure to post pics of your game!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Senior Member
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough
 
Taco969's Avatar
Air Force: AFE
Joined: Jul 2008, #7778
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 333
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! Here is one from a couple years ago...
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting-scannedimage-6.jpg  
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
mudslingin44 will become famous soon enough
 
mudslingin44's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2008, #7966
Location: west palm beach, fl
Posts: 121
mudslingin44's Tacoma Gallery
im new to bow hunting.this will be my 2nd year.last year i went to the management area near my house and there was a pickup truck every 50 yards.so needless to say i didn't see anything,only went once.so this year i pulled a permit to a quota permit only place,40000 acres, and will see how it goes this year.i have a fred bear,instinct.great shooting bow,carbon express arrows with muzzey 125gr.all goes good ill have my first kill this year
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
tacomaman06's Avatar
Name: Will
Joined: May 2007, #1475
Location: York,South Carolina
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,688
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco969 View Post
Thanks! Here is one from a couple years ago...
now, thats a sweet buck!!! im still waiting on my "trophy" to come around. i have had runs of bad luck, but i have seen alot too........so, hopefully, this year will be my year!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
tacomaman06's Avatar
Name: Will
Joined: May 2007, #1475
Location: York,South Carolina
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,688
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslingin44 View Post
im new to bow hunting.this will be my 2nd year.last year i went to the management area near my house and there was a pickup truck every 50 yards.so needless to say i didn't see anything,only went once.so this year i pulled a permit to a quota permit only place,40000 acres, and will see how it goes this year.i have a fred bear,instinct.great shooting bow,carbon express arrows with muzzey 125gr.all goes good ill have my first kill this year
hey man, good luck with the deer this year!!! always good to hear of people getting into bow hunting!!! this will be my 3rd year bow hunting!!! i love it!!! kinda primal!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
Senior Member
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough
 
Taco969's Avatar
Air Force: AFE
Joined: Jul 2008, #7778
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 333
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Definatly. The more time you put in the better you will get and more deer you will see. I grew up in Wisconsin and have been bowhunting there since I was 12. This will be my 11th year doing it, but my first year living in Florida with limited time up there. Haha, oh well the weather is a fair trade IMO!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
tacomaman06's Avatar
Name: Will
Joined: May 2007, #1475
Location: York,South Carolina
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,688
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco969 View Post
Definatly. The more time you put in the better you will get and more deer you will see. I grew up in Wisconsin and have been bowhunting there since I was 12. This will be my 11th year doing it, but my first year living in Florida with limited time up there. Haha, oh well the weather is a fair trade IMO!
oh yeah.....weather is a good trade off.

been hunting deer since i was 14, and im 29 now. had some good runs of bad luck....if ya know what i mean, but at least i have seen some nice headgear. and i have bow hunted for 3 years now..............but im happy with does too........im all about filling up my freezer with food!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
nagelg [OP] nagelg is offline
Senior Member
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light
 
nagelg's Avatar
Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
Joined: Mar 2008, #5184
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 444
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco969 View Post
I will be making it up to my Parents farm in Northern Wisconsin a few times this year
Where abouts in northern Wis.?? My place is north of Spooner about 20 mi.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #14
nagelg [OP] nagelg is offline
Senior Member
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light
 
nagelg's Avatar
Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
Joined: Mar 2008, #5184
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 444
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
sounds great man!!! i would love to hunt deer in wisconsin!!! big 'uns up that way!!!

also wanted to say this, which was in my mind, but i just thought about it. well, with my father passing recently, he has two bows at his house, and my brither and i are going to get them. one is his recurve,55#, with his old quiver and arrows(and he used to shoot grass carp with it), and another recurve. my brother doesnt hunt, but is gonna learn to shoot some, so he will get the single recurve, and im getting the recurve with the arrows and all. cant wait to learn to shoot it..........its an old bear bow!!! it will be like my dad is with me in the woods!!
Your always welcome to hunt in Wis....there are some big ones

Shoot me a pic of the Bears, you might have a collector there, but in any case if you learn to shoot the recurve I guarantee you'll love it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
tacomaman06's Avatar
Name: Will
Joined: May 2007, #1475
Location: York,South Carolina
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,688
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
Your always welcome to hunt in Wis....there are some big ones

Shoot me a pic of the Bears, you might have a collector there, but in any case if you learn to shoot the recurve I guarantee you'll love it.
as soon as i get it......i'll post some pics man!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
Senior Member
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough
 
Taco969's Avatar
Air Force: AFE
Joined: Jul 2008, #7778
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 333
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
Where abouts in northern Wis.?? My place is north of Spooner about 20 mi.
So you are around Hayward then somewhat? Born and raised just outside of Ashland.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #17
nagelg [OP] nagelg is offline
Senior Member
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light
 
nagelg's Avatar
Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
Joined: Mar 2008, #5184
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 444
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco969 View Post
So you are around Hayward then somewhat? Born and raised just outside of Ashland.
Not too far from Hayward, maybe 40 miles I think.

Living in FL you'll have some deer hunting. kinda like squirrels compared to Wis. deer I was hog hunting down near Melbourn a few years ago and brought some meat into the locker where this guy had a 10 pt hanging, basket rack. He proudly informed me that this trophy weighed a whole 110 lbs ....I had a lab that big.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #18
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
tacomaman06's Avatar
Name: Will
Joined: May 2007, #1475
Location: York,South Carolina
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,688
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
Not too far from Hayward, maybe 40 miles I think.

Living in FL you'll have some deer hunting. kinda like squirrels compared to Wis. deer I was hog hunting down near Melbourn a few years ago and brought some meat into the locker where this guy had a 10 pt hanging, basket rack. He proudly informed me that this trophy weighed a whole 110 lbs ....I had a lab that big.
yeah, i have heard florida deer arent too big.....but they are deer nevertheless. still good eatin!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #19
Member
tacohunter will become famous soon enoughtacohunter will become famous soon enough
 
tacohunter's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2008, #7160
Location: Wichita, KS
Gender: Male
Posts: 64
tacohunter's Tacoma Gallery
I'm heading out with my Wild Horse Creek recurve (57lbs @ 28") Easton aluminum 2020's and 125 gr. Magnus Stinger BuzzCuts.

All of my hunting will be done here in Kansas this fall. I saw a couple of bruisers last year that never got within range of a dart... hopefully they survived the noisy season and will be around again this year.

Already in training with some weight lifting and lots of shooting. I'll be setting up trail cams and such starting next month. I think we need to start a trail cam thread if there isn't one already.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #20
Junior Member
arkhillbilly is a jewel in the rougharkhillbilly is a jewel in the rougharkhillbilly is a jewel in the rough
Joined: Jul 2008, #8027
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10
arkhillbilly's Tacoma Gallery
PSE X Force 7; 30" 70lbs

CE Maxima 350's will probably again be using Muzzy 100 gr 3 blades.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bowhunting Tips Colton Guns & Hunting 23 12-21-2009 09:15 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.