Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What 45 do you prefer?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
IluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Demolition
IluvTEA's Tacoma Gallery
What 45 do you prefer?

Hopefully my husband doesn't get on here and realize I am taking over his name on tacoma world. lol

My husband and I have a Smith and Wesson 45 ACP. But he will be graduating Air Force OTS here soon and I am thinking of surprising him with another one. We love the 45, so I think I want to stay there. I was even thinking of getting it personalized. But I have absolutely no idea where to even look, What brand name is best,... or anything for that matter. I know he has ideas that he likes, but I very well can't ask him... since I want it to be a surprise

Do y'all have any suggestions on what 45 you have had good luck with? We have also thought about getting a shot gun.. so if you are familiar with those, can I have that input as well?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I know this isn't going to help much, but I wouldn't buy him a gun until he shoots it first and finds one he likes. Don't want to be stuck with a gun that he doesn't find very comfortable to shoot. Has he said anything in the past about other guns he likes that he has shot?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Colton. The worse thing would be buying an expensive gun for him that he isn't comfortable with. You can't just take a handgun back after shooting it and get a refund.
Dig around a little bit. You can find out what he likes without giving the surprise away.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
IluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Demolition
IluvTEA's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you Colton. I know he was talking about a Kimber before... but I don't think he has shot one. Maybe we could go "look" at guns for the future and see which one he likes lol. I would hate to get one he doesn't like, as well. Decisions Decisions. Maybe some input on here as for how they shoot and such would help though. So I know if they handle good and what not.

Thanks so much, again!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Colton is correct.
People have different tastes and preferances in pistols.

I love 1911s and shoot them better than any other pistol,but I carry a Glock 30SF because I would cry if I dropped one of the expensive 1911s.

I know you can make the 1911 as reliabe as a Glock but dollar for dollar the Glock is what I carry.

Nothing purttier than a dressed up Colt or Springfield but if it is a carry pistol I go with the Plastic Fantastic.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Though I agree with the above, Nothing says "Congrates" quite like a new Sig P220
Old 12-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
If he has tried Kimbers then they may be a great pick.
I have not shot the S&W 45s so I cannot say if the grip angle is compatible with the Kimber or other 1911.
That is usually the biggest difference in pistols for your personal preferance.

There are a bunch of Kimbers out there and with all the options I think you may have to work him to find out what he is thinking on which one.
Good luck.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough

Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
I know this isn't going to help much, but I wouldn't buy him a gun until he shoots it first and finds one he likes. Don't want to be stuck with a gun that he doesn't find very comfortable to shoot. Has he said anything in the past about other guns he likes that he has shot?

dito....
I like my G30 though
Old 12-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
Rbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the rough

Name: Richard
Rbohno's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest a Kimber Ultra CDP, they come with many features standard from their custom shop. I up until recently shot in many IDPA competitions and can say with certainty the Kimber is one of the tighest shooting handguns you can buy in the $1k price range. Of course you you can upgrade to a Thunder Ranch or Wilson but you will get in the $2k range with those.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Glad I could help... I have shot a Ruger P-series .45 and loved it, very smooth and comfortable - for me. I've heard good things about Sig, Glock, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, etc. but I have not personally shot them in the .45 ACP caliber.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
10851's Tacoma Gallery
Have you thought of gift wrapping a box of .45 ammunition? Tell him that a .45 handgun of his choice is included. I agree with the folks that said to have him choose his own handgun. I own several .45's and love them all....but I only carry one of them… He needs to have the one that fits his hand as though it were an extension of his arm.... When he holds and shoots the right one, there will be no doubt... Everyone goes home a winner... Good Luck!! Congratulations to your Husband!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
05tacoSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
<<<<<<<KIMBER>>>>>>>
Old 12-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10851 View Post
Have you thought of gift wrapping a box of .45 ammunition? Tell him that a .45 handgun of his choice is included. I agree with the folks that said to have him choose his own handgun. I own several .45's and love them all....but I only carry one of them… He needs to have the one that fits his hand as though it were an extension of his arm.... When he holds and shoots the right one, there will be no doubt... Everyone goes home a winner... Good Luck!! Congratulations to your Husband!
That's a very good suggestion.

I personally like my G36 although it is not a 1911 style. I do have a late 50's colt 1911A1 that my grandfather brought back from Korea.
You might look into the "thunder ranch" .45's from les Baer.
If my gf bought me a colt, kimber, springfield for Christmas, sure I would be happy. But if I opened up a box with a Les Baer custom in it....I'd rock her world for a long time!!!
Again, I wouldn't purchase something like that for him unless he had a chance to shoot one. I think most would agree that Les Baer makes premium .45's and are in a league of there own.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10851 View Post
OP, you remind me of my wife. For that alone, congrats to your husband! The quote above is a great idea, if you're not commited to a surprise package. Otherwise-

Someone mentioned the Kimber Ultra CDP earlier, which is a 5" 1911. A great weapon for match shooting but a bit long for CCW. And at $1300, might be a bit more pricey than necessary. For years I carried a Commander size (4.25") Kimber or Colt, and competed with the full size Gold Combat. If a carry weapon is the primary objective, I'd stay with the Commander or Officer's (3.5") models, in a less expensive version(say, between $500-$750) and leave the pretty hardware in the house. Once you've decided on a 1911, there's a whole herd of nearly identical pistols to choose from, and every shooter will have a brand preference... but it comes down to how much you want to spend.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #17
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Though I agree with the above, Nothing says "Congrates" quite like a new Sig P220
And I have a brand new Blackhawk Serpa holster that I'm lookin to sell, just for that gun
Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
And I have a brand new Blackhawk Serpa holster that I'm lookin to sell, just for that gun
Have you posted it on here?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #19
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x1000
Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #20
chrisx1 is on a distinguished road
chrisx1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

^^what he said^^

Sig all the way