Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Which would you choose in a 45?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
swendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
swendling12's Tacoma Gallery
Which would you choose in a 45?

I'm currently looking at purchasing my first handgun. My dad owns a SW M&P 40, so I'm looking at a 45 since I can shoot his 40 whenever I want. I'm looking at the M&P as a mate to pair with my M&P 15 5.56, the gun feels pretty good.

I like the look and safety of the Kimber, although it doesn't seem quite as comfortable in my hand out of the box. A set of hogue grips may improve this.

I own 3 guns currently total- 2 12 gauge shotguns, a Franci 612 vario press and a cheap single shot. And the M&P 15 mentioned before.

My question, is that the M&P is about $100-$150 cheaper initially, before upgrades or accessories. Is the kimber so much better to make it worth it?

These are the two I'm looking at.

Smith and Wesson M&P 45
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Kimber Custom II
http://www.kimberamerica.com/product...tom/custom_II/
Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Two guns designed 95 years apart. The Kimber is a steel 1911 single action single stack weapon. The M & P is a polymer framed double action double stack weapon. The only similarity is that they both fire the .45 ACP cartridge. Get the one that feels the best to you. The M & P has adjustable palm swells that will help fit it to your hand.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
"The Fuzz"
shook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really nice

Name: Joe
shook0002's Tacoma Gallery
I carry a .45 Glock 21 SF(slim frame) as my duty weapon. Its a little bulky, but having 13+1 is nice. Its hard to beat a Glock for reliability, and thats what matters most.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I'd highly recommend you look at the Springfield XD series, either the XD45 Tactical if you want a full 5" barrel or the newer XDM in 45 ACP if you can handle a 4.5" barrel. The XDs are dead-nuts reliable, high capacity and have a grip safety.

1911s like your Kimber are classic but heavy, with half the round capacity. I do not shoot my 1911 half as good as I do my Glock or XD.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Much as I like the 1911, I know it's not for everyone. While I haven't tried the M&P, I suspect it's pretty equivalent to the Springfield XD, and that gun does impress me.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
Kimber
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
Two guns designed 95 years apart. The Kimber is a steel 1911 single action single stack weapon. The M & P is a polymer framed double action double stack weapon. The only similarity is that they both fire the .45 ACP cartridge. Get the one that feels the best to you. The M & P has adjustable palm swells that will help fit it to your hand.
This.
The grip angle is my biggest consideration, especially if you plan on using it as a defense piece.
Being very familiar with the operation, and reflexive target acquisition is what it's all about.
How a gun looks?....wayyyy down the list.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
Get the one that feels the best. Personally I love the way a 1911 feels in my hand. But I also love my Sig to death too. I find the Glock grip to be too cumbersome when holding anything bigger than 9mm. The Springfield XD grip seems big in a .45 but something about the ergonomics of the gun make it ok for me. Bottom line is if you don't absolutely dig how the gun feels you probably won't shoot it much, and if you don't shoot it much then it's just a $600 paperweight that you'd be better off throwing at someone.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
swendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
swendling12's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input guys. I actually like the 1911 more for the innate safety features that it has than the looks. I personally don't feel hindered by a manual safety etc. I also like that it has a pretty significant aftermarket out there.

Question though, I am a bit concerned that because the m&p is pretty light, that shooting it in 45 won't be all that comfortable from muzzle rise/kick, and this is why I kind of lean towards the heavier 1911 in that aspect. Should I even be concerned with this?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
RICIRICH071 is on a distinguished road
RICIRICH071's Tacoma Gallery
Neither, HK USP .45 Tactical
Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
xOZx is just really nicexOZx is just really nicexOZx is just really nicexOZx is just really nicexOZx is just really nice
xOZx's Tacoma Gallery
The Kimber is the better gun over the M&P. But there are several models which may better suit you.

I would also highly rcommend checking out the Springfield XDm
Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
how about a Sig Mauser M2 .45 ... I recently had a trade offer on this Pistol but am not sure if it is a good pistol or not.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
ArMarine04 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Alan
ArMarine04's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 1911 myself although not a kimber but love it none the less and you can't go wrong with classic design.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
jimmygle is on a distinguished road
Name: Jimmy
jimmygle's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jimmygle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICIRICH071 View Post
This.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
SuperTacoma will become famous soon enoughSuperTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Clint
SuperTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I am very impressed with the S&W M&P series. I have the 9MM, .40 and .45.
I say keep keep it in the S&W family.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #17
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICIRICH071 View Post
The USP probably has the worst ergonomics of anything that's been mentioned. Feels like a 2x4 in the hand.

If you have to have an HK, look into the HK45. It's basically a USP with improved ergonomics.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
jimmygle is on a distinguished road
Name: Jimmy
jimmygle's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jimmygle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
The USP probably has the worst ergonomics of anything that's been mentioned. Feels like a 2x4 in the hand.

If you have to have an HK, look into the HK45. It's basically a USP with improved ergonomics.
I have an H&K USP .40 and it feels good. It's well balanced and the grip is fine.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #19
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I'll just throw this out there, if you want a manual safety you could look at the Ruger SR40. I know, not a 45 but it's got the double stack and double action, plus a safety like the 1911.

Between the 2 you listed, like others have said, go with the one that feels best to you. I wouldn't worry about the difference in recoil, probably not going to be much between the 2. If money is a factor definitely go Smith.

The Springfield's a good gun, but not made in the US if that matters to you, otherwise its pretty comparable to the Smith.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #20
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post

I picked up a USP when they first came out ('93? '94?). As with many of my guns, it didn't last long before I traded it for a 1911 (Springfield ultra compact). The USP and it's variants are too bulky for my taste.