1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Conceal Carry: Situations you've been in

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Janster, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Jan 18, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    So you've proven that you don't need to try to rack a weapon one handed in a CQC situation. I don't care if you are going to keep your chamber clear or not- but don't try to pass off one handed charging a pistol as a good technique for everyone to use if they just practice. It's simply not a good option unless you have CQC training beyond what the local YMCA teaches.

BTW-We are talking about a CIVILIAN CCW holder- not cops. So lower training standard and comfort with high stress situations....and they shouldn't be "closing on perps."

2. Jan 18, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Please forgive me, Brunes. We are essentially saying the same thing.

If I even implied that I charge my weapon on a regular basis with only one hand I totally mispoke. I use two hands. Always. After charging the weapon with two hands the charging hand becomes the support hand.

My comments regarding one handed charging were intended to bring attention to my belief that if you are going to carry a weapon that needs to be charged, ever, you should practice charging it with one hand. It is an emergency function but one that is necessary to know. When bullets fly bad things happen. Using dummy rounds or a dummy pistol is an excellent way to develop these gross motor skills.

As for comparing CCW to working police I've been taught from an early age that if you are going to carry a gun you better know how to make it function under any circumstances that you might find yourself in no matter who you are. If there is a need to carry there is a need to practice, practice, practice. It is likely to save your life or the guy next to you that you don't shoot by mistake.

3. Jan 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    Idk about that... It may not be prohibited but I'm pretty sure its illegal. I might go ask to campus police about it. Havent seen them lately anyways so it would be good to check in with em

4. Jan 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    TGurau

TGurau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tibi
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '98 SR5 4x4
    3" OME Suspension lift. PEX motoring headlights.
    I'll carry even when it's made illegal. It's a constitutional right and NObama wont take that away from me no matter how hard he tries.

5. Jan 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    I carry with one in the chamber. (safety on when I have the 1911 since it's a single action auto) In my personal opinion, an unchambered side arm is just a bludgeon. You're better off pulling a knife than an unchambered gun.

Whatever you decide is best... (chambered/unchambered) Train with that method and be mentally ready to employ lethal force. Methods can be argued over till you're blue in the face, but until you try it and practice it and develop the mindset, you aren't much better off with the gun than without it.

The warrior within needs to be feed with training and by proxy... self confidence. Otherwise you're just a bumbling idiot with a Barney Fife draw.:p

6. Jan 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit
    I think we can all agree that charged or uncharged is a personal preference, but training - and lots of it - is something we all agree upon...:cheers:

7. Jan 18, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    What does he have to do with state laws, most of which were enacted before his term in office?

8. Jan 18, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

they of course are gonna tell you no it isnt....when it probably is allowed...there has to be a law against it not a school rule

9. Jan 18, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    ChewbacaTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    Be advised that while they may not be able to take legal action against you, they may legally be able to administer academic punishment.

I use this philosophy that I heard a Senior Chief once say. "Cheat if you must. Just don't get caught!":D This sentiment applies to carrying a piece while in a questionable area as well.

10. Jan 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

keltec with a belt clip at 2 oclock is well hidden....

11. Jan 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    tanzak88

tanzak88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I carry a Winchester 30-30, and conceal it from the deers so they think they're safe.

12. Jan 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM

10.21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    BHLM, Satoshi, Remove Mud Flaps, Debadge.
    I come from a small town in Wisconsin that has become, over the years, pretty criminal. Never had any problems though. I go to Texas for the first time to visit the in-laws and my wife's X-Terra gets a rock thrown through the driver side window (trying to steal my Zune...was not successful). Within ten seconds of the car alarm going off, my wife is outside with her Springfield XD compact, father in law with his Springfield XDM .45, me with an SKS my father-in-law passed down to me for Christmas, and my sister-in-law's boyfriend with an AR-15. We stormed out of the house in a "reverse" raid fashion, storming the vehicle and searching the houses being built near by...No coordination what-so-ever...just simple instinct.

Three Marines and a contractor says a little on the instinct. Sad thing was my wife was first on the stack.

13. Jan 18, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    ChewbacaTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    Hooyah for a kick ass wife!!!

14. Jan 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    You're saying that it takes almost no time to chamber a round? If so I would ask you to stand there while someone held a gun to your head and try to draw, chamber a round and fire. Alot can go wrong when you are in a hurry trying to rack a round.

this is the first video that came up when I searched "chamber a round" on youtube, the reaction times look about the norm.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY

and this is what can happen as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbxdDV7V_VA

15. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    that is not a real quote in your sig/\ mgrande

16. Jan 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    What makes you say that?

17. Jan 19, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    Good arguments on all sides of this issue. After reading thoughts on chambering a round (or not) I am glad I carry a 642.

Eleven pounds of double-action trigger pull eliminates a lot of the safety issues. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I would like a little more firepower-both round and capacity. But as with everything in life there are trade-offs.

The great thing about a revolver is no racking the slide, no jams, no misfires (unless it is ammo related). It goes bang when you pull the trigger. And that heavy trigger makes it very unlikely there will be an accidental discharge.

Guess I need to look for an Airlite .357. That will take care of upgrading the round ;)

18. Jan 19, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    i want a 360pd or a 340pd they are insanely light

19. Jan 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Like the weapon-in-battery question, semi auto or revolver is a personal preference and no answer is intrinsically wrong. Safety is paramount and in my mind a cocked and locked 1911 is as safe as any other firearm, as is my Kahr CW45, which is DAO.
    The simple fact is, I'm glad that intelligent, law abiding people are carrying now. Bad guys gamble every time they commit a crime, and I'm all for lowering their odds of success.

20. Jan 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    x2

Products Discussed in

To Top