Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Conceal Carry: Situations you've been in

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #21
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzshack View Post
gun free zones are 1000ft from any school or church think about how many there are in the big easy lol. so if you step out your car carring and you happen to be in a zone it is a felony.
I'd go re-read the law if I was you: http://law.justia.com/louisiana/code...146/78745.html

The provisions of the firearm free zone shall not apply to a private PREMISES where a firearm is lawfully kept and shall not apply to a constitutionally protected activity such as a firearm contained entirely within a car.

So leaving your house carrying, into your car, and around town is not in fact illegal.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #22
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't had to but I've been tempted. I carry a small surefire light (E1L) and that's always been my primary go to. people tend to get weirded out with a bright light in their faceand normally calm down. I have come out of my house with my weapon by my side to stop a fight, deal with an overly agressive census lady.
On another note, I picked up the MAGPUL Art of the tactical handgun DVD's, they are totally worth it in the perspective that Chris and Travis give as well as some pointers for everything from gear to grip.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #23
jimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant future

Navy: AC3 got out in '99
jimmyzshack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I'd go re-read the law if I was you: http://law.justia.com/louisiana/code...146/78745.html

The provisions of the firearm free zone shall not apply to a private PREMISES where a firearm is lawfully kept and shall not apply to a constitutionally protected activity such as a firearm contained entirely within a car.

So leaving you house carrying, into your car, and around town is not in fact illegal.

you are not in your private premises between your front door and your car. i'm not talking about driving through it. your car in louisiana is just like being in your house as far as laws go.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you are not in your private premises between your front door and your car. google it.
Okay: http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...nlaws_la_2.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Above Link
These prohibitions do not apply to: the possession of a firearm occurring within 1,000 feet of school property and entirely on private property, entirely within a private residence, or in accordance with a concealed handgun permit; or any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.
Unless you've got something that clearly contradicts that- "google it" won't help your case...
Old 01-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #25
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Just fyi, "warning shots" are very illegal almost everywhere.
I was partly aware. Wasn't thinking about it at the time.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #26
jimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant futurejimmyzshack has a brilliant future

Quote:
Okay: http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...nlaws_la_2.htm

Unless you've got something that clearly contradicts that- "google it" won't help your case...
I'm talking about if you live in a zone. Or if you get out of the car and go to a store that happens to be in a gun free zone.

from you front door to your car you are breaking the law if you live in one of the zones. a 1000ft radius is a huge area. Also in the city of new orleans there are very few places that are not in a zone.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #27
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm talking about if you live in a zone. Or if you get out of the car and go to a store that happens to be in a gun free zone.

from you front door to your car you are breaking the law if you live in one of the zone. a 1000ft area is a huge area.
Going to the store in a firearm free zone I agree with you.

Going into and out of your own house on your own property I do not agree with you. That plain language interpretation clearly states that possession of a firearm completely within the confines of a person property inside a firearm free zone is not illegal.

1000 feet is about 1/5'th of a mile....That's somewhere between 6 and 14 telephone poles away. I can think of a boat load of spots that I can go to (including my local gas station, firestone, auto zone, grocery store, several strip malls and the car wash) that I can go to, altho I'm not IN the city. I didn't say work cause I work on a military base...but I could carry there too if it wasn't against the military regulations.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #28
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, little off topic here.... You guys with your CC permit.... what kind of holster do you have? I'm scheduled for the class on the 29th and I need to get a holster. Any particular one you'd recommend? I've got a Glock 32

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Going to the store in a firearm free zone I agree with you.

Going into and out of your own house on your own property I do not agree with you. That plain language interpretation clearly states that possession of a firearm completely within the confines of a person property inside a firearm free zone is not illegal.

1000 feet is about 1/5'th of a mile....That's somewhere between 6 and 14 telephone poles away. I can think of a boat load of spots that I can go to (including my local gas station, firestone, auto zone, grocery store, several strip malls and the car wash) that I can go to, altho I'm not IN the city. I didn't say work cause I work on a military base...but I could carry there too if it wasn't against the military regulations.
My bad as of Aug. 15 2010 we don't have the 1000' Gun Free School Zone deal with a CHP. You just can't carry on school property now. I didn't know that got it passed finally.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #30
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
You guys with your CC permit.... what kind of holster do you have? I'm scheduled for the class on the 29th and I need to get a holster. Any particular one you'd recommend?

Thanks.
Obviously person perference, body type, clothing type, and carry weapon choice all play into it...but I use a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe in horsehide with the SteelClips.
It is SUPEr comfortable as long as I wear a decent belt.

Quote:
My bad as of Aug. 15 2010 we don't have the 1000' Gun Free School Zone deal with a CHP. You just can't carry on school property now. I didn't know that got it passed finally.
Sorry that I didn't have the date- but I did a "refresher session" with some local guys I know who carry to make sure I wasn't keeping FL laws in my head and breaking LA laws. So that is how I knew.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #31
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I carry often in Florida, but in the event of a national or local state of emergency as declared by the state Govornor, CCW licences are void?? My buddy got into some heat because he had to stop a fight durring the previous hurricane season, I know he "Brandished his Weapon" but he ended a fight that was brutal. He also was arrested. I'm not an expert and havent read my CCW book as of late but he was told that in the event of a state of emergency that little plastic card doesn't mean a thing. I wasn't there and didn't see what happened but that is the story he gave me.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #32
"The Fuzz"
shook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really nice

Name: Joe
shook0002's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my permit one I pulled my weapon once in North Philly (aka The Badlands), when somebody attempted to open my door while stopped at a light. As a cop, once off duty after witnessing a gas station robbery attempt. I also carry everywhere, you just never know.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #33
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Hey Gang,

For those of you who conceal carry on a regular basis - have you been in any situations that you had to get your weapon out or use it?

Or ..have you been in situations where you considered getting it out and/or showing it?

I don't carry.... but I could, as I have a permit. My husband and I are looking to taking professional classes first & foremost before we consider carrying. Home defense, conceal carry classes, etc. Just curious to see what types of situations you've all been in.

I plan on getting my License to Carry Firearms from PA from Centre County since i go up to Norristown/Philly sometimes. My GA permit has reciprocity with PA but id like to have the PA license too. You should join up and read the information contained on http://www.pafoa.org/ its a great resource for your state i post there under the same username
Old 01-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #34
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shook0002 View Post
When I had my permit one I pulled my weapon once in North Philly (aka The Badlands), when somebody attempted to open my door while stopped at a light. As a cop, once off duty after witnessing a gas station robbery attempt. I also carry everywhere, you just never know.

yeah esp in Philly i carried every where while there...well except for the the PA state house since its a national park(now the grounds are legal but not the buildings and its pretty sad that at the birthplace of Liberty civil rights are denied) I rode SEPTA a lot since i didnt have a car while there and was glad i was armed walking through downtown Philly and to and from the train stops
Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #35
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I shot a crack head in the leg when I was 14 with a SKS.

I was home alone right after I got out of school, they guy was high andkicked in my front door. He heard me rack a round and took off running with something in his hand. It was a gun, when he turned around about 20yds in front of me I opened fire.Luckily I'm a bad shot and only hit him once in the femur. He dropped and I ran back inside to call the cops. By this time my Gpa had a shot gun to his head and had the gun out of his hand (Gpa lived beside me). That's about it. Cops said I did a good job and that I did the right thing.
Your lucky he turned around.

But being that age I don't think you'd be held accountable for shooting him in the back.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #36
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Sorry, little off topic here.... You guys with your CC permit.... what kind of holster do you have? I'm scheduled for the class on the 29th and I need to get a holster. Any particular one you'd recommend? I've got a Glock 32

Thanks.

I rock a Blackhawk SERPA, (not the best for CC and I am a smaller stature so I have to dress for it.) and have a phantom on order, and also have a clip on the side of my M&P that I use for IWB carry.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #37
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
I work early in the morning. Out on the road around 3 am and stop by the area convenience store to get my morning java.

Went in to get my coffee, got in my truck and started to put my change in my wallet when there was a knock on the window. My hand immediately went to my waistband for my S&W 642.

The guy wanted a ride to Columbus, which is about 120 miles south of my location. I told him I wasn't going that way, but he still said he needed a ride. I again told him I couldn't help him, and he gave me a puzzled look and walked away.

Not really a critical life or death situation, but the bizarre nature of the encounter made me glad I carry. Especially at 3 am. And I have NO intention of being anyone's victim.

There are a lot of strange people out there...
Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #38
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post
I conceal carry EVERYWHERE i go. (except illegal places)

and BTW...if you "show" or "Brandish" (your gun at least in VA) it is illegal.

the only time you are supposedly allowed to draw is when you are being shot at. "legally"

and i say these things in quotes because it is the "law"
You may draw and fire your weapon when you are in fear for your life or someone else's life. Just know that you will have to expain and justify your actions and not all city courts and district attorneys are gun friendly.
Most cases I've hears of go by the "reasonable man" theory. The jury asks themselves if a reasonable person would be in fear for their life in that situation. Keep in mind they will be second guessing your actions from the relative safety of a courtroom.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #39
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
i go in 2 weeks to put in my CCW application. I will be carrying whenever i can.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #40
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Yeah, I wasn't gonna shoot. I was trying to get him to stop. When he turned around I got scared and unloaded.

The guy died about a month later from a heart attack after smoking crack for 3 days straight
Bahaha

Products Discussed in this Thread