1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Conceal Carry: Situations you've been in

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Janster, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Jan 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    This is not necessarily a CCW situation.
    My grandmother, in Omaha, was 83 years old. The neighborhood she lived in had gone to seed, and we all tried to talk her into coming out west with or at least near us. She was the kind of woman who made Easter baskets and Christmas cards for the neighborhood kids, and paid them to help her with the lawn. You get the picture- the whole neighborhood's gramma.
    One of those kids, at 15 years old, decided an old woman like that must have a stash of money in her house somewhere... you know how the imagination can go at that age. One week in March of 98, some of the kids set fire to her garage. For what reason has never been determined. Cops took the report and went on their way.
    That weekend, this 15 year old went to grandma's door, knocked, and was let in on some false pretense.
    He then forced my grandma into the basement and beat her to death with a cane, food can, and a rock.
    The family gathered, in Omaha, from all over the country. Obviously stressed and extremely angry, my brother, my cousin, and I decided to stay at grandmas house to protect the property while we waited for the funeral.
    I slept in the basement, letting the other two have the beds.... it was no picnic, trust me.
    Just before the funeral, two men in a beat up pickup parked on the street next to the house. I watched from behind the blinds as they got out, and looked over the house front to back. You can tell where this is going too, right?
    As they came up onto the porch and decided whether to knock, I sent my brother and cousin out the back door to get behind them and close off their exit. I answered the door with my 1911 in plain sight. My brother, a college football linebacker, and my cousin, a large, ponytailed biker looking kid, made their presence known as I asked the men what they wanted. They stammered out that they had heard there was a racially motivated investigation going on and that some black kid was being framed for a problem in the neighborhood, and they wanted to set the record straight....
    I said, yes, it was this house, it was my grandmother murdered, and they weren't going to have any sympathy from any of us.
    They decided they didn't need to be talking to me about it, and ran by my backups on their way to their truck.

Sorry for the longwinded post... but the moral is- even (and maybe especially) in your own neighborhood, shit can happen that requires a gun to resolve, or prevent.

If anyone doubts my story, pm me- I'll give you names.

http://www.ncpa.ne.gov/ctopinio/S99-1396.htm

2. Jan 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Sorry about your grandma. Too bad she wasn't packing.
    Open carry has it's advantages. Hopefully the thugs get the message and stay away!

3. Jan 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Thanks. The situation still haunts me. The problem was, even though she had my grandad's old WW2 1911 in the house, she never would have used it.

4. Jan 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    very true sir! i have read quite a few articles on the subject. makes me weary, but i wont hesitate to draw, in a fear for my life situation.

5. Jan 7, 2011 at 4:13 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Holy..crapy - 3 pages?I've been off the computer for a while and I don't even have time to read any of this now. I'll check in later!!

6. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    I have spent an insane amount of money on different holsters. Hands down the best I have found is the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe. I have one for both my G23 (same size as your 32) and G27. Not even my wife can tell when I am carrying. The trick is that you have to position it correctly and if you wear it too far towards the back your grip will print. I also found it helps to tuck an undershirt in if you are leaving your top shirt untucked...it keeps your shirt from bunching up on the backstrap when going from sitting to standing.

7. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Don't quote me on this...but I think my husband bought us serpa (Blackhawk) holsters just to have for classes. They're nice but I wouldn't use 'em for concealment. I think our two pistols (Beretta 92FS & SW M&P9C) are probably a little big for concealment (atleast, for me anyway). I think smaller weapons will be in our future.

8. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I'm already registered there. It is a great resource and my husband visits there frequently.

But honestly? That forum is WAY OVER THE TOP. Not a place to carry on a casual conversation about certain things without getting your head chewed off.

9. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    OH yeah..... About 6 months ago I went to a gas station after work (12:30am) and this guy in the next bay was trying to get my attention. I'm thinking....Oh great.....:rolleyes: The guy wrote a note on a piece of paper (I guess he couldn't hear/talk??) but needed money for gas.

Don't get me wrong......I love to donate to charible causes & such. But - I hate when people beg for money. At this point, I don't know if this guy is legit or he's trying to stiff me. Damn.... I ended up giving him $5 in hopes he'd go away and leave me alone.

Thank God he left. My husband hates it when I go out after work to various places. I think he'd want me to carry more than him!!

10. Jan 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Im taking my CHL class the 22nd of this month. Ive already done the electronic fingerprints and filled out most of the paperwork.

Ive had one incident where I would have been a lot more comfortable if I would have been carying.
    Some crazy guy was driving past my house, slammed on his brakes, reversed, got out and started yelling at me and my wife asking why we were "mean muggin" him and staring at him. I said I heard a loud car so I looked... and he just kept yelling, went and opend the back door of his car like he was gonna grab something. my wife had ran in the house and grabbed her cell and called 911, she was on the front porch giving the guys description very loudly so he would hear that she was on the phone with the cops.
    I guess he ralized the cops would be there in a minuite so he took off.
    the cops showed up about a min later, we gave our story, they found his house and knocked but he wouldnt asnwer the door...
    He lives like 2 streets down from us and we havent had a problem since, Im guessing he was fucked out of his mind on drugs.

I really though he was gonna grab a gun from the back seat and start shooting!

I ordered a crossbreed super tuck holster for a taurus PT740

11. Jan 7, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    In TX your military status isn't a substitute for the concealed carry class?

12. Jan 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    i havent had to use mine and hope nobody ever gives me a reason to :quickdraw:

13. Jan 7, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    its wierd to hear people say if you ever had to "show it" or "pull it out". if the gun is coming out of the holster, it is being fired. period.

14. Jan 7, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    wait so at 14 you shot someone in the leg that was running away and the cop told you good job? this story is so full of bullshit i dont even know where to start.

15. Jan 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    no. But being a veteran i got a discount from the department of public safety (DPS) that's who issues our CHL's

70 bucks for retired or honorably discharged veterans. free for active duty. Its like 170 for anyone else

16. Jan 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...

how is it full of shit? he shot a crackhead that was stealing a gun...so he could have potentially saved 10 peoples lives by doing this..

17. Jan 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    kilted1117

kilted1117 I smell corn

Member:
    First Name:
    Gophuk Yousef
    Valparaiso, IN
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5 4dr Magnetic Grey
    Zippo.
    I live in Illinois and have a non resident PA ccw (reciprocated by IN)because I work in Gary, IN. most days and even some nights. I have to park in the ally behind where I work and have had a few close calls. I carry to work and back but every day I'm a felon for 24 miles (12 miles to the border from my door) unless I want to stop and pack up my gun to Illinois laws. :rant:

18. Jan 7, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    come on dude why would he lie? you think if you were interested in the story you would ask questions, looks like your just lookin for trouble

ANYWAYS.... wow illinois! that sucks. good luck with all that

i went and took the class but after that i found out i have a pending charge that is taking bookoos of money to clear up(one of those dumb things from when i was younger im still paying for) but it should be cleared up soon and i am very excited to be able to exercise my right to bear arms and defend myself:)
    altho i hope it never comes to it
    the piece of mind will be nice

19. Jan 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    Falcon86

Falcon86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beachshire
    Vehicle:
    Bone-stock
    What are you all carrying?

I carry a Ruger LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis.

Can't be beat for lightweight concealability.

20. Jan 7, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    i have a glock 23 that i love but for carry i am thinking of getting either the Ruger LCP or a Walther PPK

Products Discussed in

To Top