Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Conceal Carry: Situations you've been in

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #41
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
This is not necessarily a CCW situation.
My grandmother, in Omaha, was 83 years old. The neighborhood she lived in had gone to seed, and we all tried to talk her into coming out west with or at least near us. She was the kind of woman who made Easter baskets and Christmas cards for the neighborhood kids, and paid them to help her with the lawn. You get the picture- the whole neighborhood's gramma.
One of those kids, at 15 years old, decided an old woman like that must have a stash of money in her house somewhere... you know how the imagination can go at that age. One week in March of 98, some of the kids set fire to her garage. For what reason has never been determined. Cops took the report and went on their way.
That weekend, this 15 year old went to grandma's door, knocked, and was let in on some false pretense.
He then forced my grandma into the basement and beat her to death with a cane, food can, and a rock.
The family gathered, in Omaha, from all over the country. Obviously stressed and extremely angry, my brother, my cousin, and I decided to stay at grandmas house to protect the property while we waited for the funeral.
I slept in the basement, letting the other two have the beds.... it was no picnic, trust me.
Just before the funeral, two men in a beat up pickup parked on the street next to the house. I watched from behind the blinds as they got out, and looked over the house front to back. You can tell where this is going too, right?
As they came up onto the porch and decided whether to knock, I sent my brother and cousin out the back door to get behind them and close off their exit. I answered the door with my 1911 in plain sight. My brother, a college football linebacker, and my cousin, a large, ponytailed biker looking kid, made their presence known as I asked the men what they wanted. They stammered out that they had heard there was a racially motivated investigation going on and that some black kid was being framed for a problem in the neighborhood, and they wanted to set the record straight....
I said, yes, it was this house, it was my grandmother murdered, and they weren't going to have any sympathy from any of us.
They decided they didn't need to be talking to me about it, and ran by my backups on their way to their truck.

Sorry for the longwinded post... but the moral is- even (and maybe especially) in your own neighborhood, shit can happen that requires a gun to resolve, or prevent.

If anyone doubts my story, pm me- I'll give you names.

http://www.ncpa.ne.gov/ctopinio/S99-1396.htm
Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #42
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry about your grandma. Too bad she wasn't packing.
Open carry has it's advantages. Hopefully the thugs get the message and stay away!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #43
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. The situation still haunts me. The problem was, even though she had my grandad's old WW2 1911 in the house, she never would have used it.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #44
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
You may draw and fire your weapon when you are in fear for your life or someone else's life. Just know that you will have to expain and justify your actions and not all city courts and district attorneys are gun friendly.
Most cases I've hears of go by the "reasonable man" theory. The jury asks themselves if a reasonable person would be in fear for their life in that situation. Keep in mind they will be second guessing your actions from the relative safety of a courtroom.
very true sir! i have read quite a few articles on the subject. makes me weary, but i wont hesitate to draw, in a fear for my life situation.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #46
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Sorry, little off topic here.... You guys with your CC permit.... what kind of holster do you have? I'm scheduled for the class on the 29th and I need to get a holster. Any particular one you'd recommend? I've got a Glock 32

Thanks.
I have spent an insane amount of money on different holsters. Hands down the best I have found is the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe. I have one for both my G23 (same size as your 32) and G27. Not even my wife can tell when I am carrying. The trick is that you have to position it correctly and if you wear it too far towards the back your grip will print. I also found it helps to tuck an undershirt in if you are leaving your top shirt untucked...it keeps your shirt from bunching up on the backstrap when going from sitting to standing.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #47
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Sorry, little off topic here.... You guys with your CC permit.... what kind of holster do you have? I'm scheduled for the class on the 29th and I need to get a holster. Any particular one you'd recommend? I've got a Glock 32

Thanks.
Don't quote me on this...but I think my husband bought us serpa (Blackhawk) holsters just to have for classes. They're nice but I wouldn't use 'em for concealment. I think our two pistols (Beretta 92FS & SW M&P9C) are probably a little big for concealment (atleast, for me anyway). I think smaller weapons will be in our future.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #48
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
I plan on getting my License to Carry Firearms from PA from Centre County since i go up to Norristown/Philly sometimes. My GA permit has reciprocity with PA but id like to have the PA license too. You should join up and read the information contained on http://www.pafoa.org/ its a great resource for your state i post there under the same username
I'm already registered there. It is a great resource and my husband visits there frequently.

But honestly? That forum is WAY OVER THE TOP. Not a place to carry on a casual conversation about certain things without getting your head chewed off.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #49
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryWi View Post
I work early in the morning. Out on the road around 3 am and stop by the area convenience store to get my morning java.

Went in to get my coffee, got in my truck and started to put my change in my wallet when there was a knock on the window. My hand immediately went to my waistband for my S&W 642.

The guy wanted a ride to Columbus, which is about 120 miles south of my location. I told him I wasn't going that way, but he still said he needed a ride. I again told him I couldn't help him, and he gave me a puzzled look and walked away.

Not really a critical life or death situation, but the bizarre nature of the encounter made me glad I carry. Especially at 3 am. And I have NO intention of being anyone's victim.

There are a lot of strange people out there...
OH yeah..... About 6 months ago I went to a gas station after work (12:30am) and this guy in the next bay was trying to get my attention. I'm thinking....Oh great..... The guy wrote a note on a piece of paper (I guess he couldn't hear/talk??) but needed money for gas.

Don't get me wrong......I love to donate to charible causes & such. But - I hate when people beg for money. At this point, I don't know if this guy is legit or he's trying to stiff me. Damn.... I ended up giving him $5 in hopes he'd go away and leave me alone.

Thank God he left. My husband hates it when I go out after work to various places. I think he'd want me to carry more than him!!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #50
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Im taking my CHL class the 22nd of this month. Ive already done the electronic fingerprints and filled out most of the paperwork.

Ive had one incident where I would have been a lot more comfortable if I would have been carying.
Some crazy guy was driving past my house, slammed on his brakes, reversed, got out and started yelling at me and my wife asking why we were "mean muggin" him and staring at him. I said I heard a loud car so I looked... and he just kept yelling, went and opend the back door of his car like he was gonna grab something. my wife had ran in the house and grabbed her cell and called 911, she was on the front porch giving the guys description very loudly so he would hear that she was on the phone with the cops.
I guess he ralized the cops would be there in a minuite so he took off.
the cops showed up about a min later, we gave our story, they found his house and knocked but he wouldnt asnwer the door...
He lives like 2 streets down from us and we havent had a problem since, Im guessing he was fucked out of his mind on drugs.

I really though he was gonna grab a gun from the back seat and start shooting!

I ordered a crossbreed super tuck holster for a taurus PT740
Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #51
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Im taking my CHL class the 22nd of this month. Ive already done the electronic fingerprints and filled out most of the paperwork.
In TX your military status isn't a substitute for the concealed carry class?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #52
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
i havent had to use mine and hope nobody ever gives me a reason to
Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #53
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
its wierd to hear people say if you ever had to "show it" or "pull it out". if the gun is coming out of the holster, it is being fired. period.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #54
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I shot a crack head in the leg when I was 14 with a SKS.

I was home alone right after I got out of school, they guy was high andkicked in my front door. He heard me rack a round and took off running with something in his hand. It was a gun, when he turned around about 20yds in front of me I opened fire.Luckily I'm a bad shot and only hit him once in the femur. He dropped and I ran back inside to call the cops. By this time my Gpa had a shot gun to his head and had the gun out of his hand (Gpa lived beside me). That's about it. Cops said I did a good job and that I did the right thing.
wait so at 14 you shot someone in the leg that was running away and the cop told you good job? this story is so full of bullshit i dont even know where to start.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #55
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebread View Post
In TX your military status isn't a substitute for the concealed carry class?
no. But being a veteran i got a discount from the department of public safety (DPS) that's who issues our CHL's

70 bucks for retired or honorably discharged veterans. free for active duty. Its like 170 for anyone else
Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
wait so at 14 you shot someone in the leg that was running away and the cop told you good job? this story is so full of bullshit i dont even know where to start.

how is it full of shit? he shot a crackhead that was stealing a gun...so he could have potentially saved 10 peoples lives by doing this..
Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #57
I smell corn
kilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gophuk Yousef
kilted1117's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Illinois and have a non resident PA ccw (reciprocated by IN)because I work in Gary, IN. most days and even some nights. I have to park in the ally behind where I work and have had a few close calls. I carry to work and back but every day I'm a felon for 24 miles (12 miles to the border from my door) unless I want to stop and pack up my gun to Illinois laws.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #58
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
come on dude why would he lie? you think if you were interested in the story you would ask questions, looks like your just lookin for trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted1117 View Post
I live in Illinois and have a non resident PA ccw (reciprocated by IN)because I work in Gary, IN. most days and even some nights. I have to park in the ally behind where I work and have had a few close calls. I carry to work and back but every day I'm a felon for 24 miles (12 miles to the border from my door) unless I want to stop and pack up my gun to Illinois laws.
ANYWAYS.... wow illinois! that sucks. good luck with all that

i went and took the class but after that i found out i have a pending charge that is taking bookoos of money to clear up(one of those dumb things from when i was younger im still paying for) but it should be cleared up soon and i am very excited to be able to exercise my right to bear arms and defend myself
altho i hope it never comes to it
the piece of mind will be nice
Old 01-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #59
Falcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFalcon86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Falcon86's Tacoma Gallery
What are you all carrying?

I carry a Ruger LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis.

Can't be beat for lightweight concealability.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #60
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
i have a glock 23 that i love but for carry i am thinking of getting either the Ruger LCP or a Walther PPK

Products Discussed in this Thread