1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gun Safes

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by moto932, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Feb 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    moto932

moto932 [OP] What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    i will definitely look into them, thanks

2. Feb 6, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    rys99z

rys99z Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner Sport
    I purchased a Sturdy safe and love it, don't know if they fit into your budget but their safes are "no fluff" and are made to function.

Check them out at: www.sturdysafe.com

3. Feb 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    I don't know if one type of lock is better than the other, but the lock can be breached by someone who knows what they are doing (i.e. locksmith). I have a Cannon safe with an electronic lock that the now ex-wife had drilled open. I was at work when she had it done and the neighbors said the locksmith was there 30 minutes max.

4. Feb 7, 2011 at 4:43 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I believe that is the case with almost any style lock or safe. The tools they use are federally licensed to them and when they retire or quit they must surrender them.

5. Feb 8, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    rys99z

rys99z Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner Sport
    I chose the dial combo lock for my safe, what i have read and seen in the big box stores, I did not think the electronic lock would stand up over time. Like all electronics they wear out and just stop working. I don't know how long you plan on having the safe, but my father-in-law has an old dial combo safe from the 1900's and the lock still works.

The electronic lock may get you into the safe a little faster, but not if it has stopped working.

6. Feb 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    moto932

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    thanks, this is what i've been reading as well. im definitely leaning towards a combination lock.

7. Feb 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    moto932

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
  8. Feb 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    x2. And the best warranty in the business :cool:

I got one from Costco for $850.00 delivered. 60 x 40 with a two plug outlet inside. It's the Power Box. I just did a search, and the price now is $999.00, but they do run it on sale. Here's the link:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11485568

Be aware that the inside of the safe on the website differs from my inside configuration.

I'll get you a pic of mine if you need it.

9. Feb 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I've got a Stack-On. 24 guns I think. Not fireproof but I can do that myself if I ever feel like doing it. I paid like $400 for it. It's quite nice.

10. Feb 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    REDNECK4X4

REDNECK4X4 Member

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 3" lift 2.7L
    3" Lift, new motor, 31/10.5/15 mastercraft courser c/t
    look into champions. Good fire ratings with alot of good features.

11. Feb 14, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    moto932

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    is it fire rated at all? it would be very easy to build a simple box around it or any other safe and add as many layers of dry wall you want for fire protection

definitely going to look into them:thumbsup:

12. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    It's not fire rated but all that is, is drywall on the inside which is what I would do if I ever get around to it. Since I did drywall for 9 years, it shouldn't be to tough.;)

13. Feb 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    blendedfamily

blendedfamily Well-Known Member

Member:
    'Burque(sucks)
    another thing to consider is just a plain ol' commercial safe. I've read on alot of gun forums that they're cheaper, because they aren't "gun safes", so you dont get taxed on the sigma. Typically they have just as good or better protection and fire rating. You can rack up or dress the interior as you wish, with an inexpensive trip to home deopt...

14. Mar 21, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    GuapOh

GuapOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 MT
    Skid Plate, Hood Protector, Wheel Locks, Snugtop XV, Yakima Rack, Weathertechs, Sick Speed Shifter, Avid Bumper, Avid Sliders, Bilstien 5100's, TSB Spring packs
    Go bigger than you need. Go heavier than you need. Bolt it to the foundation of the building. Get active bolts on all 4 sides. Electronic S&G Lock. External Hinges. Power to the inside. Door panel storage.

I purchased the Superior Safe Master 35. Superior is an upper line safe similar to Sturdy and the company which names all of its safes after famous mountains (Denali; Rainier; Hood; Lassen etc.)

15. Mar 27, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    moto932

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    i've heard this but haven't had a chance to check any out yet. i only found one place in my are that deals with commercial safes.

i plan on doing/getting all this except for the electronic lock. im going to stick with a combo lock

16. Mar 27, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    TacoAL

TacoAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    The Gunshine State
    Vehicle:
    TC
    None (for now)
    I got my Redhead about six years ago and have no complaints.

RedHead_457e06fc28ba9cbbc32aab324146c2e09a34b189.jpg

Was only $800 because Sunny's Gun Shop was closing its doors. Most of the Redheads this size I've seen will hold about 12 rifles and have racks on its left side. So plenty of storage and they are rated at something like 1100 for an hour.

17. May 16, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    JabberJaw

JabberJaw Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Cypress, Texas
    While it's true that the main "fire proofing" in a safe is basic sheetrock, just slapping (or skillfully installing as the case may be) some Lowes sheetrock into a $200 metal cabinet isn't the same thing.

There is considerable protection added with the overall design or the safe.

As for security and theft prevention .... yeah if you have Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Matt Damon coming after your guns then, as Mad Stephen said to William Wallace, "You're Fooked" , the average theif isn't gonna come prepared to crack a safe.

As for the poor bastard whose ex wife had his safe drilled out .... that's what glass relockers are for.

I sold safes for a number of years when I worked at a gun shop. We carried Champion and only Champion safes. We did so after checking out just about every other brand out there before deciding what to carry.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with an electronic lock over a manual one anymore than I'd hesitate driving a Fuel Injected truck over a Carb. In the 5 years I sold them and the 12 years I've owned one I never had any problems with e locks that weren't simple to fix.

As for size .... don't even waste time trying to decide what size you NEED ... just buy the BIGGEST ONE YOU CAN AFFORD..... I PROMISE you won't have any wasted space!

Products Discussed in

To Top