Help me decide on a "budget build" upper

View Poll Results: Which upper?
BCM 6 60.00%
Spike's 2 20.00%
Other (specify) 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Help me decide on a "budget build" upper

Which upper? BCM, Spikes or other (specify)?
BCM $534: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Produ...ID-16&CartID=1
Spikes $499: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ver&groupid=55
Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
levi
Robertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to all

Name: Levi
Robertocritser's Tacoma Gallery
i like the spikes, i have shot a few ar's with them and enjoy it... the one i had on my old ar was a tac driver.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
ericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Rotorhead
Name: Inigo Montoya
ericb's Tacoma Gallery
BCM is top notch. Ready SWAT magazines filthy 14 article.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...vbhiIJ7g&pli=1
Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
showmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud of

showmeballer's Tacoma Gallery
BCM
Old 02-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post

BCM doesnt have handguards or a BCG or charging handle.
add 135 for bcg and charging handle
add at least 100 for handguards.

the spikes is sold out.

http://www.botachtactical.com/lmtco14uprea.html
just get a longer flash hider or sell the barrel and get a longer one.

im in the market for an AR build as well so Ive been trying to find the best deal available.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post

the spikes is sold out.

im in the market for an AR build as well so Ive been trying to find the best deal available.
the spike's @ AIM go in and out of stock
the BCM upper with BCG and charging handle is only $534. i was going to go with the Magpul MOE midlength handguard ~$33 so the total for BCM would be $567
Old 02-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
DaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
DaWillDaBeast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

the spikes is sold out.

The BCM upper is 399 without the charging handle and bcg, for the 535 the op says he will get the upper, charging handle and bcg. Then he can just add a MOE handguard for $30 and he has a badass upper. I have the spikes but I'm going to have to vote BCM
Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in this market too with a few questions:

Gov't profile barrel vs. heavy barrel. Does it make a difference to the casual shooter?

1:7 twist vs 1:9 twist. Same question, as I will likely never shoot really heavy loads, just what I can find on sale and cheap.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
I'm in this market too with a few questions:

Gov't profile barrel vs. heavy barrel. Does it make a difference to the casual shooter?

1:7 twist vs 1:9 twist. Same question, as I will likely never shoot really heavy loads, just what I can find on sale and cheap.
The most common weight for 5.56/.223 is 55gr which is better suited for a 1/9 twist. As far as the barrel goes, your choice; the heavy barrel will be inherently more accurate but only noticeable to the most experienced shooters. I'd get the Gov't profile for weight reasons.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
The most common weight for 5.56/.223 is 55gr which is better suited for a 1/9 twist. As far as the barrel goes, your choice; the heavy barrel will be inherently more accurate but only noticeable to the most experienced shooters. I'd get the Gov't profile for weight reasons.
Gracias Matt.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
the spike's @ AIM go in and out of stock
the BCM upper with BCG and charging handle is only $534. i was going to go with the Magpul MOE midlength handguard ~$33 so the total for BCM would be $567
thats not a bad price.

I'd probably go with that one then. and get the magpul rear flip up sight
Old 02-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
Banned
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats not a bad price.

I'd probably go with that one then. and get the magpul rear flip up sight
yeah, haven't decided on a rear sight
but i am leaning toward "old-fashioned" carry handle sight
and if i want to run an optic, i'll set it up like this:

Old 02-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
Banned
283's Tacoma Gallery
maybe i'll just rock a cheap .22 for a while: http://palmettostatearmory.com/1465.php
Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #17
Frogdaddy is on a distinguished road

Frogdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Just built an all del-ton M4. What a great product. I'm not the most mechanically inclined and I was able to assemble without issue. Nice. It would've been well under $600 but I customized the heck out of it with some magpul moe nonsense. Well anyway it wasn't just the upper as you've asked. It's a rifle kit and lower.