Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

License to Carry a Concealed Weapon Question?

Old 02-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
License to Carry a Concealed Weapon Question?

I live in the ATL metro area now in a pretty busy suburb. Im not familar at all with the laws regarding weapons, but I was in target tonight and there was this dude in front of me, baggy jeans, his t shirt was kinda small and he had a belt with a glock right there in the back of his jeans. Just wondering if that's legal or does it have to be "concealed"

Only when I lived in TX did I see firearms out in the open with people, but it was a pretty rural area.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Open Carry has never been illegal in GA...Georgia does not issue a concealed weapons permit they issue a Georgia Weapons Carry License(also allows you to carry knives over 5 inches openly or concealed, knives under 5 inches are no longer weapons unless youre in a school zone but a lot of cities have ordinances for knives under 5 inches). GA is in the same state as NJ in regards to permits you must have a permit to carry openly or concealed unless you meet certain exemption (like police, state or federal military, judges, some court clerks etc) unlike the most states where you can carry openly with no permit at all

Here is a history of GA's racist gun control laws that we are working to repeal www.GeorgiaCarry.Org is grassroots civil rights group dedicated to restoring the RTKBA in the state they have helped to abolish the Public Gathering Clause that was so vague no one could tell you what was a public gathering and what wasnt....

I also suggest visiting www.GeorgiaPacking.org and hanging out a bit there is a tab at the top titled gun laws and it will take you to a plain english translation of the laws.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
also i see you have an Air Force emblem under your avatar....youre are exempt from needing the permit under OCGA 16-11-130.3 your military ID is all you need. although i suggest getting a GA permit if you dont hold one from PA etc so you can carry in other states like FL, TN, AL etc etc

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode...11&section=130
Quote:
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130
Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2
(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:

(1) Peace officers, as such term is defined in paragraph (11) of Code Section 16-1-3, and retired peace officers so long as they remain certified whether employed by the state or a political subdivision of the state or another state or a political subdivision of another state but only if such other state provides a similar privilege for the peace officers of this state;

(2) Wardens, superintendents, and keepers of correctional institutions, jails, or other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense;

(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States;.......................................
also here is an Attorney Generals opinion http://www.georgiapacking.org/ga-ag/u97-13.htm
Quote:
To: Judge May 9, 1997 Probate Court of Houston County
Re: Under Georgia law, active duty military personnel are exempted from the requirement of a firearms permit. The exemption is not limited to the performance of military duty. These personnel may, upon request, obtain a firearms permit if otherwise qualified. Their dependents may be issued a permit if otherwise qualified only upon establishing residency in this state. Law enforcement officers are also exempt from the requirement to obtain a permit.

This unofficial opinion is issued in response to the questions you have raised concerning the proper application of O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130 to military and law enforcement personnel. For clarity, I have set forth each of your questions and responded seriatim.
First, you have inquired if active duty military personnel are exempt from the permit requirements. The exemptions are set forth in O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130. I note that this Code Section exempts certain persons from "Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128." Thus, persons so exempt are exempted not only from the requirement of a permit to carry a firearm (O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128), but are also exempt from the provisions regarding the carrying of concealed weapons (O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126), carrying deadly weapons to or at public gatherings (O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127), and carrying weapons within school safety zones or at school functions (O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127.1) But see O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127.1(c)(3), which appears to limit the exemption to persons actually participating in military training programs................................
Old 02-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
You shoulda leaned over and been like "Psssst....Your glock is showing...BumbleBee tuna"

(And I make jokes cause RM pretty well covered the seriz biznuss.) He might cause a stir with a poorly concealed weapon...even in an open carry state. In a concealed carry only state- That is begging for attention no one wants.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I have been looking for a handgun for home defense lately so I have been on watching this forum a lot lately. I figured someone here would know. Thanks by the way.

I mean yeah there is a lot more crime here than where I lived in PA a few months ago. But to be packing at target so openly was kinda wierd.

I was in the AF but I am no longer AD so I dont think the law applies to me.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Yukon Cornelius
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Yeah I have been looking for a handgun for home defense lately so I have been on watching this forum a lot lately. I figured someone here would know. Thanks by the way.

I mean yeah there is a lot more crime here than where I lived in PA a few months ago. But to be packing at target so openly was kinda wierd.

I was in the AF but I am no longer AD so I dont think the law applies to me.

Thanks for the info!

are you in the reserves?? it doesnt apply inactive reserves....but it does to the regular reserves(you still doing your weekend a month etc?)the attorney general opinion only addressed active because that is all the probate judge asked

you could also join the GA state defense force(state military and hold the same rank as your AF title its 100% volunteer/unpaid, but you would be exempt again) ...OCGA doesnt differentiate between active and reserves.

You should move to Kennesaw they have way lower crime because they have a mandatory gun ownership law....

keep an eye on the georgia packing forum they have a pretty active BST section a lot of good deals near atlanta i wish i was closer some time but i love the beach
Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #7

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
are you in the reserves?? it doesnt apply inactive reserves....but it does to the regular reserves(you still doing your weekend a month etc?)the attorney general opinion only addressed active because that is all the probate judge asked

you could also join the GA state defense force(state military and hold the same rank as your AF title its 100% volunteer/unpaid, but you would be exempt again) ...OCGA doesnt differentiate between active and reserves.

You should move to Kennesaw they have way lower crime because they have a mandatory gun ownership law....

keep an eye on the georgia packing forum they have a pretty active BST section a lot of good deals near atlanta i wish i was closer some time but i love the beach
I am in the IRR. I dont really plan on carrying, just to keep in the house. I live in Marietta. I hate it. It just feels run down, always cops going after someone. Just not a safe feeling area. I would move to Kennesaw but my Fiance goes to school here, it's just more convienent. We don't plan on living here more than a yr. When she gaduates we will move somewhere else.

I'll keep an eye on the forum. Do you feel the bi-weekly gun laws haev good deals? I haven't been to one yet but they seem pretty popular. I tried to go to the last one but there was no where to park.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
showmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud of

showmeballer's Tacoma Gallery
You might want to join up on Ar15.com as well for lots of good info on weapons and what's happening in your area. Whole sub forums for each weapon, state, military, etc.

I spend 99.99% of my time on the web there as you can tell by my sweet post count here.

Just be warned that General Discussion can be an interesting place there.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Yukon Cornelius
bi weekly gun laws? you mean a show? glock has some good deals you can buy from most dealer iirc with your Military ID you can also get the same price if you join the Glock Sport shooting foundation. personally im not a big fan of the way a glock feels in my hand. i love my S&W M&P and my Sig 1911

i dont leave home without my pistol ever! i witnessed a girl murdered a little over 3 years ago i will never go unarmed again....i look at it this way i have smoke alarms in my house, i wear a seat belt in the car and wear a helmet when im on my motorcycle its only common sense to carry a gun to protect my life. with the crime in atlanta/marietta/roswell etc i would definitely carry!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I live in the ATL metro area now in a pretty busy suburb. Im not familar at all with the laws regarding weapons, but I was in target tonight and there was this dude in front of me, baggy jeans, his t shirt was kinda small and he had a belt with a glock right there in the back of his jeans. Just wondering if that's legal or does it have to be "concealed"

Only when I lived in TX did I see firearms out in the open with people, but it was a pretty rural area.
should have grabbed the gun, pistol whipped him and ran out of target.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
showmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud of

Quote:
bi weekly gun laws? you mean a show? glock has some good deals you can buy from most dealer iirc with your Military ID you can also get the same price if you join the Glock Sport shooting foundation. personally im not a big fan of the way a glock feels in my hand. i love my S&W M&P and my Sig 1911

i dont leave home without my pistol ever! i witnessed a girl murdered a little over 3 years ago i will never go unarmed again....i look at it this way i have smoke alarms in my house, i wear a seat belt in the car and wear a helmet when im on my motorcycle its only common sense to carry a gun to protect my life. with the crime in atlanta/marietta/roswell etc i would definitely carry!

Listen to this guy.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #12

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

WoW! That's crazy, sorry to hear that. That's terrible it happens in our country. Oh yeah I meant gun shows. I just had shoulder surgery and haven't had much sleep in the last 3 weeks.

I have shot 3 handguns. A glock 21, I did not like it, the M9 it was ok, and another Glock .40. I didn't care for it either. I have handled the PX4 and I like it. Felt good in my hand. I think I'm going after it.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #13

Quote:
WoW! That's crazy, sorry to hear that. That's terrible it happens in our country. Oh yeah I meant gun shows. I just had shoulder surgery and haven't had much sleep in the last 3 weeks.

I have shot 3 handguns. A glock 21, I did not like it, the M9 it was ok, and another Glock .40. I didn't care for it either. I have handled the PX4 and I like it. Felt good in my hand. I think I'm going after it.

Go look at Sig and the S&W MP line of handguns before you commit.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #14
Yukon Cornelius
also check out the Springfield XD line they are really nice the XDM 3.8 is really neat it has a grip safety like a 1911 and has a 3.8 inch compact barrel and holds 20 rounds of 9mm with the full size mag in the gun and it also come with a compact mag too
Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #17

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the M&P, and Springfield XD are also on my list. I have to wait a few months due to my shoulder operation. Plenty of time to research.

I don't know, carrying a weapon like that to me is asking for trouble. He seemed a lil odd, almost like he wanted to use it. Im sure the Target Special Forces guy would stop him.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
Yukon Cornelius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Open Carry is legal in PA if you are a resident. The only place its NOT legal to Open carry is Philadelphia.
http://paopencarry.org/

Open Carry is legal in Philly even if youre not a resident and it is legal to Open Carry in Philly with any states license with reciprocity