1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mosin Nagant Discussion

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by YayAreaTaco0311, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Mar 3, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    Simms65

Simms65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '16 Quicksand O/R M/T
    I actually only have two, a 1941 Tula 91/30 and a 1939(IIRC) M38. We won't talk about how much ammo I have...

[​IMG]

I'm not obsessed, but I have much respect for the round and the various rifles that are chambered for it. It makes for an excellent license plate that only fellow gunnies get. :cool:

2. Mar 6, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    WABOOM

WABOOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minnesota yeah sure ya betcha
    Vehicle:
    2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
    debadged
    my shoulder hurts just thinking of these rifles!! :D I love them though. I have a 1891 and a M44. They both needed windage adjustments when first bought them. I used a brass punch and a heavy hammer to drift the front sight. I eventually bought a slip on recoil pad and love shooting them. Most of the ammo is corrosive so I bring a squirt type waterbottle filled with windex and alcohol to pour down the bore after shooting. Then clean and oil it when I get home.

3. Jan 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
  4. Jan 16, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    johnnym

johnnym Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    NH
    Vehicle:
    87 4Runner Chevy 1500
    Sas 4.7tranfer case gears 5.29s Locked front/rear
    my buddy picked one up a couple months ago .
    I have shot it many times and love it .
    kicks,accurate, just a overall good time

5. Jan 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I have some pretty fun guns but for the money I've had more fun with my Mosins than any other gun not to mention the cool history that comes along with it.

Why haven’t you picked one up for yourself?

6. Jan 16, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    I love mine. It's prettymuch the same as yours OP. Make sure that you give the chamber a good polish and get you dremal out and polish up all the bearing surfaces.

If you want to get the cosmoline out of the wood to refinish it, just heat it up and wipe it off.

The great thing about a mosin is if you are tinkering and screw something up, parts are very very cheap. Good luck with your new project man :cheers:

7. Jan 17, 2012 at 3:07 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I have a 1928 Tula M91/30 and a 1944 Tula M44. They are both lots of fun to shoot - the M44 especially falls into the shoulder buster category. I'm looking to pick up a 91/30 sniper soon.

Another interesting rifle is the Finn M39. The Finns took captured and purchased 91/30s and converted them to their own M39s. These were mostly done pre-WWII so almost all are made from hex receivers. If a receiver would not put 10 rounds in a 1" group at 100 yards they trashed it. They added a new barrel and wood and sights. These rifles are accurate for military spec weapons. Mine is actually built from a French-contract supplied Mosin receiver made in 1894. It shoots like a champ.

And, you can always grab a Nagant Revolver. Nagant believed that the loss of gas pressure from the gap between the cylinder and barrel on a typical revolver seriously affected muzzle velocity (it doesn't). So, he created a system where, just before the hammer drops on the cartridge, the cylinder slides forward and seals the gap - the shell casings are actually made more narrow at the tip to help the seal.

The bad news on theses pistols is that the mechanism and tight fit of the casings means you can't rapidly extract the empty casings - each one has to be manually ejected by turning the cylinder and using the ejector rod. Imagine doing that in the middle of a heated battle with the Germans rushing at you.

The up side is that the gas seal makes it a very quiet weapon - it is oneof the few (might be the only) revolver that can be effectivelt silenced and the KGB used them into the 60's before they produced an effective semi-automatic pistol.

The last gun show I was at I found a guy with a crate of pistols - as well as a crate of 91/30s. $100 for the pistol out the door. Unfortunately, the ammo can be hard to find and a bit expensive...but, heck, how many rounds do you need to have some fun?

8. Jan 17, 2012 at 3:40 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    I got one. Love it. Damn accurate at 300 yards. I was hittin the iron pig all day at 300 yards.

9. Jan 17, 2012 at 3:50 AM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    so i should get one?

i can spare a hundred bucks

10. Jan 17, 2012 at 5:28 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Ammo is easy to find - and inexpensive - and they are fun to shoot. For the price, I think they are a good buy. So, yes, I'd recommend you buy one.

Remember that most ammo out there is corrossive. So, you have to clean them differently and more often. Personally, I take out the bolt and pour warm water down the barrel, dry well and then oil. Then, do the same thing the next day. Some people like to use Windex to pour down the barrel - but I find that water works just fine.

11. Jan 17, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    TacomaCowboy

TacomaCowboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    San Antone TX
    Vehicle:
    06 black DCLB TRD Sport
    grill craft grill, K&N CAI
    I have the carbine model 1948,
    I can only get about 7 rounds through it before my bolt sticks and won't let me open it without putting it on the ground and giving a sharp kick

12. Jan 17, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    Devious6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I'd have a gunsmith check the headspace. Sounds like you're getting a powder buildup so you might be getting some blowback because of improper headspace. Also, give that sucker a very good cleaning - might be residue buildup from the corrossive powder.

Another interesting aside - the M44 carbines were designed to be fired with the bayonet extended. The spring mechanism puts stress on the barrel and can cause as much as a 6 inch difference in the strike of the bullet if not extended.

13. Jan 17, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    Did you clean out the cosmoline? Sometimes if you dont clean it out well it will melt and reharden around your the locking lugs and cause sticky bolt. This is the most common cause for sticky bolt.

14. Jan 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    johnnym

johnnym Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    NH
    Vehicle:
    87 4Runner Chevy 1500
    Sas 4.7tranfer case gears 5.29s Locked front/rear
    I'm trying to be good and save money so I can buy my first house IT SUCKS ! Haha
    Very fun gun to shot though "some day" I'll pick one up

15. Jan 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
  16. Jan 17, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    I can totally spare the $100 for one. Any pointers to make sure I get a good one?

17. Jan 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    pyroskier

pyroskier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
  18. Jan 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I have a hex and a round for the couple extra bucks I would get the hex. The hex receivers are generally a better build quality and much harder to find.

Also if possible buy local and support your local gun shop, this way you don't have to deal FFL fees transferring a gun and you get to hand pick it. :infantry:

19. Jan 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I was ready to cut up one of my Mosins and make one of these pistols but come to find out ATF is ok if you turn a pistol into a rifle but not a rifle into a pistol. I’ve gone through the class III hoops for firearms in the past but doesn’t make sense on a $100 rifle.

I would love to shoot one though.
    [​IMG]

20. Jan 18, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    not true. if you put a stock on a pistol that isn't classified as a curio/relic then you need to make sure it has a 16 inch barrel or you'll pay the man. lots of people convert AR-15's to pistols. throw on a shorter buffer tube and a shorter barrel and it's perfectly legal as long as there is no stock on the buffer tube.

Products Discussed in

To Top