LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Mosin Nagant Discussion

Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #21
erion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant futureerion109 has a brilliant future

Army: 1/145 AVN REG
Name: Jayson
erion109's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine. Bought two from AIMsurplus.com and traded one for 120 .50BMG rds. So I'm completely happy with my purchase, not to mention; it's a great shooter. You can buy a synthetic stock pretty cheap and turn one into a great hunter (if you're not into the vintage look).
Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #22
Simms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
Simms65's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Simms65
I actually only have two, a 1941 Tula 91/30 and a 1939(IIRC) M38. We won't talk about how much ammo I have...

I'm not obsessed, but I have much respect for the round and the various rifles that are chambered for it. It makes for an excellent license plate that only fellow gunnies get.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
WABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to behold
WABOOM's Tacoma Gallery
my shoulder hurts just thinking of these rifles!! I love them though. I have a 1891 and a M44. They both needed windage adjustments when first bought them. I used a brass punch and a heavy hammer to drift the front sight. I eventually bought a slip on recoil pad and love shooting them. Most of the ammo is corrosive so I bring a squirt type waterbottle filled with windex and alcohol to pour down the bore after shooting. Then clean and oil it when I get home.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #25
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
my buddy picked one up a couple months ago .
I have shot it many times and love it .
kicks,accurate, just a overall good time
Old 01-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym View Post
my buddy picked one up a couple months ago .
I have shot it many times and love it .
kicks,accurate, just a overall good time
I have some pretty fun guns but for the money I've had more fun with my Mosins than any other gun not to mention the cool history that comes along with it.

Why havenít you picked one up for yourself?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #27
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine. It's prettymuch the same as yours OP. Make sure that you give the chamber a good polish and get you dremal out and polish up all the bearing surfaces.

If you want to get the cosmoline out of the wood to refinish it, just heat it up and wipe it off.

The great thing about a mosin is if you are tinkering and screw something up, parts are very very cheap. Good luck with your new project man
Old 01-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #28
Devious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: COL, USA (Ret.)
Name: Mark
Devious6's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 1928 Tula M91/30 and a 1944 Tula M44. They are both lots of fun to shoot - the M44 especially falls into the shoulder buster category. I'm looking to pick up a 91/30 sniper soon.

Another interesting rifle is the Finn M39. The Finns took captured and purchased 91/30s and converted them to their own M39s. These were mostly done pre-WWII so almost all are made from hex receivers. If a receiver would not put 10 rounds in a 1" group at 100 yards they trashed it. They added a new barrel and wood and sights. These rifles are accurate for military spec weapons. Mine is actually built from a French-contract supplied Mosin receiver made in 1894. It shoots like a champ.

And, you can always grab a Nagant Revolver. Nagant believed that the loss of gas pressure from the gap between the cylinder and barrel on a typical revolver seriously affected muzzle velocity (it doesn't). So, he created a system where, just before the hammer drops on the cartridge, the cylinder slides forward and seals the gap - the shell casings are actually made more narrow at the tip to help the seal.

The bad news on theses pistols is that the mechanism and tight fit of the casings means you can't rapidly extract the empty casings - each one has to be manually ejected by turning the cylinder and using the ejector rod. Imagine doing that in the middle of a heated battle with the Germans rushing at you.

The up side is that the gas seal makes it a very quiet weapon - it is oneof the few (might be the only) revolver that can be effectivelt silenced and the KGB used them into the 60's before they produced an effective semi-automatic pistol.

The last gun show I was at I found a guy with a crate of pistols - as well as a crate of 91/30s. $100 for the pistol out the door. Unfortunately, the ammo can be hard to find and a bit expensive...but, heck, how many rounds do you need to have some fun?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #29
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
I got one. Love it. Damn accurate at 300 yards. I was hittin the iron pig all day at 300 yards.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 AM   #30
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
so i should get one?

i can spare a hundred bucks
Old 01-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #31
Devious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ammo is easy to find - and inexpensive - and they are fun to shoot. For the price, I think they are a good buy. So, yes, I'd recommend you buy one.

Remember that most ammo out there is corrossive. So, you have to clean them differently and more often. Personally, I take out the bolt and pour warm water down the barrel, dry well and then oil. Then, do the same thing the next day. Some people like to use Windex to pour down the barrel - but I find that water works just fine.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #32
TacomaCowboy is on a distinguished road

Name: robert
TacomaCowboy's Tacoma Gallery
I have the carbine model 1948,
I can only get about 7 rounds through it before my bolt sticks and won't let me open it without putting it on the ground and giving a sharp kick
Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaCowboy View Post
I can only get about 7 rounds through it before my bolt sticks and won't let me open it without putting it on the ground and giving a sharp kick
I'd have a gunsmith check the headspace. Sounds like you're getting a powder buildup so you might be getting some blowback because of improper headspace. Also, give that sucker a very good cleaning - might be residue buildup from the corrossive powder.

Another interesting aside - the M44 carbines were designed to be fired with the bayonet extended. The spring mechanism puts stress on the barrel and can cause as much as a 6 inch difference in the strike of the bullet if not extended.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #34
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaCowboy View Post
Did you clean out the cosmoline? Sometimes if you dont clean it out well it will melt and reharden around your the locking lugs and cause sticky bolt. This is the most common cause for sticky bolt.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #35
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoTaco View Post
I have some pretty fun guns but for the money I've had more fun with my Mosins than any other gun not to mention the cool history that comes along with it.

Why haven’t you picked one up for yourself?
I'm trying to be good and save money so I can buy my first house IT SUCKS ! Haha
Very fun gun to shot though "some day" I'll pick one up
Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #36
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=knayrb;2807388]Oldie but goody.

http://www.mouseguns.com/compare.htm[/QUOTE]

That is perfect.
The gun that won the big war!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #37
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
I can totally spare the $100 for one. Any pointers to make sure I get a good one?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #38
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone seen this one? http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...F3MOSIN9130Lam

They are out of the regular one and the Hex one...

Might buy this if anyone says it's good. Anywhere else to buy online you can recommend? CTD is out of stock as well. I might call around to the local gunnies around here to see if they can get their hands on any.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #39
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
Anyone seen this one? http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...F3MOSIN9130Lam

They are out of the regular one and the Hex one...

Might buy this if anyone says it's good. Anywhere else to buy online you can recommend? CTD is out of stock as well. I might call around to the local gunnies around here to see if they can get their hands on any.
I have a hex and a round for the couple extra bucks I would get the hex. The hex receivers are generally a better build quality and much harder to find.

Also if possible buy local and support your local gun shop, this way you don't have to deal FFL fees transferring a gun and you get to hand pick it.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #40

I was ready to cut up one of my Mosins and make one of these pistols but come to find out ATF is ok if you turn a pistol into a rifle but not a rifle into a pistol. I’ve gone through the class III hoops for firearms in the past but doesn’t make sense on a $100 rifle.

I would love to shoot one though.