Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Mosin Nagant Discussion

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #41
My progeny will be awesome!
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
ChewbacaTW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoTaco View Post
I was ready to cut up one of my Mosins and make one of these pistols but come to find out ATF is ok if you turn a pistol into a rifle but not a rifle into a pistol. Iíve gone through the class III hoops for firearms in the past but doesnít make sense on a $100 rifle.

I would love to shoot one though.
not true. if you put a stock on a pistol that isn't classified as a curio/relic then you need to make sure it has a 16 inch barrel or you'll pay the man. lots of people convert AR-15's to pistols. throw on a shorter buffer tube and a shorter barrel and it's perfectly legal as long as there is no stock on the buffer tube.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #42
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewbacaTW View Post
not true. if you put a stock on a pistol that isn't classified as a curio/relic then you need to make sure it has a 16 inch barrel or you'll pay the man. lots of people convert AR-15's to pistols. throw on a shorter buffer tube and a shorter barrel and it's perfectly legal as long as there is no stock on the buffer tube.
I know the type of gun you are referring too but I'm not 100% convinced you are correct. The pistol AR's you are referring to when registered with ATF from the manufacture carry a title of pistol. I have not doubt many convert full size AR's to pistols however I doubt they 100% legal since they carry a designation of rifle even though the rifle may have lost it's stock for a shorter buffer tube. The law is dumb and doesn't make sense but every gunsmith I have talked about this Mosin project has told me the same thing.

If you have a link or something that tells a different story I would love to go back my my local gunsmiths. Going into the project I was 99% sure I could build it without the Class III stamp since it was just like so many of the AK's / AR's pistols I have seen.

How awesome would it be to have a Mosin Pistol!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #43
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
yep if its ever been a rifle then you can not turn it into a pistol...thats why they ask you now when you buy a bare lower if its gonna be a rifle or a pistol...they also iirc wont sell bare lowers to 18-20 year olds anymore
Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #44
ChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shedChewbacaTW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I know the type of gun you are referring too but I'm not 100% convinced you are correct. The pistol AR's you are referring to when registered with ATF from the manufacture carry a title of pistol. I have not doubt many convert full size AR's to pistols however I doubt they 100% legal since they carry a designation of rifle even though the rifle may have lost it's stock for a shorter buffer tube. The law is dumb and doesn't make sense but every gunsmith I have talked about this Mosin project has told me the same thing.

If you have a link or something that tells a different story I would love to go back my my local gunsmiths. Going into the project I was 99% sure I could build it without the Class III stamp since it was just like so many of the AK's / AR's pistols I have seen.

How awesome would it be to have a Mosin Pistol!!!
hrmm interesting point and I may have to eat my words there... but isn't a mosin considered a curio/relic, so doesn't that also change the law a little bit? GRRR MUST DO MORE RESEARCH!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #45
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
hrmm interesting point and I may have to eat my words there... but isn't a mosin considered a curio/relic, so doesn't that also change the law a little bit? GRRR MUST DO MORE RESEARCH!!!
Hmm that's a good point being a a curio/relic, hopefully it does because I really want a Mosin pistol. Keep me posted if you find anything.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #46
Devious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: COL, USA (Ret.)
Name: Mark
Devious6's Tacoma Gallery
To my knowledge, being a C&R does not affect any laws regarding conversion of a firearm. It only makes it eligible for transfer directly to a C&R license holder without going through an 01 FFL holder. I have a C&R License - best $30 I've spent.

I just don't understand the intrigue in chopping a 91/30 into a pistol. Why do it? Range? Look? Seriously, I just don't get it.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious6 View Post
To my knowledge, being a C&R does not affect any laws regarding conversion of a firearm. It only makes it eligible for transfer directly to a C&R license holder without going through an 01 FFL holder. I have a C&R License - best $30 I've spent.

I just don't understand the intrigue in chopping a 91/30 into a pistol. Why do it? Range? Look? Seriously, I just don't get it.
I know that certain pistols IE the Mauser C96 is legally allowed to have a stock without breaking the SBR type laws because it's a curio/relic...
Old 01-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious6 View Post

I'm going to look into C&R license I don't know much about it.

I know the Mosin pistol is not practical in any way but can you imagine the 7.62X54 coming out of a pistol It's not for everybody I totally get that.

I have lots of impractical guns Uzi, Tec 9, Desert Eagle, Mac 11 yawn but who has shot a Mosin pistol!

Plus a little know fact the Russians actually had a similar gun in WWII called the Obrez.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #49
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up a Mosin M28-76 Target rifle.

Finnish Hex reciever, target barrel throated for D-166 ammo(if i remember, its a Finn version of Russian 7n1), peep sights, comfy ass stock.

*Not my pic*
Old 01-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
I picked up a Mosin M28-76 Target rifle.

Finnish Hex reciever, target barrel throated for D-166 ammo(if i remember, its a Finn version of Russian 7n1), peep sights, comfy ass stock.

*Not my pic*
Nice! We need to get some Utah guys together and go shooting.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #51
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Going to pick mine up today!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #53
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Congrats! Let us know some specs when you get it.
Will do! Jon (45acp) is going with me to pick it up. Maybe I'll convince him to get one too haha. I'm hoping it's not caked in Cosmoline... I want to shoot in on the drive back to town!!!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
Will do! Jon (45acp) is going with me to pick it up. Maybe I'll convince him to get one too haha. I'm hoping it's not caked in Cosmoline... I want to shoot in on the drive back to town!!!!!
Don't get your hopes up I'm sure it will be caked in cosmoline.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #55
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
Easiest way to get cosmoline out is to put it in a black plastic bag and set it out in the sun. The sun will heat it up and it will bleed out of the rifle. About every 30 min or so go out and wipe it down with your wife's'/significant others best towels. In about 2 hours most of the cosmoline will be gone.
This is easier done in the summer here in Texas, especially last summer when it was the 9th circle of hell here.
Rich
Old 01-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by StZu View Post
Easiest way to get cosmoline out is to put it in a black plastic bag and set it out in the sun. The sun will heat it up and it will bleed out of the rifle. About every 30 min or so go out and wipe it down with your wife's'/significant others best towels. In about 2 hours most of the cosmoline will be gone.
This is easier done in the summer here in Texas, especially last summer when it was the 9th circle of hell here.
Rich
I'll have to wait until August rolls around to do that here... it's like 5 degrees F outside. I'm gonna use the oven.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
I'll have to wait until August rolls around to do that here... it's like 5 degrees F outside. I'm gonna use the oven.
I've seen videos of people using the oven but be careful as that cosmoline may be toxic. Not sure I would want to cook with a pan that at one time was used to catch the cosmoline.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #58

She's a beaut. All SN's matched up, bolt cycles good, its in AWESOME condition, and a good heaping of Cosmoline... oh well, a fun cleaning project! 1,000 rnds of ammo being delivered Monday
Old 01-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #60
Devious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: COL, USA (Ret.)
Name: Mark
Devious6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know that certain pistols IE the Mauser C96 is legally allowed to have a stock without breaking the SBR type laws because it's a curio/relic...
But the C96 was designed to be used with or without the wooden stock - which could also be used as a carrying case. It's the original configuration of the weapon - not a modification.

C&R is nothing but a designation of a weapon that is either over 50 years old or has been designated as eligible because of its history. For example, the vZ 82 (commonly misidentified as the (CZ 82) has been designated as C&R eligible. And, the regulation requires that the weapon be in it's original configuration to retain it's C&R title. For example, a spoterized 91/30 with a new stock and scope would not be considered a C&R weapon any longer.

I'm not trying to run down the idea - we all have our own likes and dislikes. Personally, and perhaps I'm a C$R license holder and collector, I'm more of a purest. To me, I'd rather but a $120 Nagant Revolver in 7.62X39 and have a piece of history that I can shoot. It might not be as big of a kick as the slightly larger 7.62X54 but it's going to be easier to hit the target!!

Products Discussed in this Thread